The Last Dance: Michael Jordan documentary

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's warm up this thread again for Sunday night's episodes with some last dance related trivia. Six times Michael Jordan won the scoring title in the same year his team won an NBA championship. Since 1951 only 2 other players have won the scoring title and a championship in the same season. Who are they?

Steph Curry

I’ll say Shaq.

Shaq O'Neal is correct.

Shaq did it as a Laker in 2000, and made no 3 pointers. In fact, since the introduction of the 3 pointer Shaq is the only person to win a scoring title without making any 3 pointers.

Kareem (technically as Lew Alcindor) did it as a Milwaukee Buck in 1971.

Now let's bring this back to Michael and the last dance. In the Bulls 6 titles in the nineties, Michael was the scoring champion every year they won the title. The one year that Michael played and they did not win the title in 1995, Michael did not win the scoring title and the Bulls were beaten in the playoffs by the Orlando Magic. The person who won the scoring title that season was Shaq O'Neal of the Orlando Magic.

Edited by Voice of Reason

All of the info above on scoring titles and championships makes me think even more highly of MJ. We hear talk every year about how the top scoring players need to get teammates more involved to win titles and the evidence shows how difficult it is to win a scoring title and lead your team to a title. MJ did it six times. Amazing.

It was a great series. Loved it and it brought back a lot of memories.

I wish ESPN would just play Jordan's iconic games every Sunday night. I got a DVD set that has some old Jordan documentaries and six classic games. Might have to bust them out myself.

So the "Flu Game" was actually Food Poisoning that appears to be intentional by the Pizza place in Utah.

Seems strange to me that Jordan wouldn't have gone after that pizza place with a vengeance, unless he and his crew truly thought it was an accident.

Many have discussed it being "The Hangover Game". Does saying it was food poisoning squash that rumor and more believable than a one day flu?

Seems strange to me that Jordan wouldn't have gone after that pizza place with a vengeance, unless he and his crew truly thought it was an accident.

Many have discussed it being "The Hangover Game". Does saying it was food poisoning squash that rumor and more believable than a one day flu?

There is a difference between food poisoning and being poisoned. They were alluding to the latter, which I do not buy. The story seems murky about multiple guys rolling up to deliver a pizza, but I think that is more about increasing mystique.

No, I do not believe Jordan in the middle of the NBA finals randomly decided to go on a bender in Salt Lake City.

What a force of nature Jordan was and continues to be to this day. No player has ever moved the needle the way he does. That fourth quarter of the '98 Finals I will never forget watching. It was a poetic ending to a storied career that was all about guts, will, and a determination that couldn't be overcome by any of his foes. Jordan scored 45 points, the rest of the Bulls chipped in 42. It wasn't a virtuoso skill wise type performance, but his mind and control of the court was light years ahead of the competition.

There is a difference between food poisoning and being poisoned. They were alluding to the latter, which I do not buy. The story seems murky about multiple guys rolling up to deliver a pizza, but I think that is more about increasing mystique.

No, I do not believe Jordan in the middle of the NBA finals randomly decided to go on a bender in Salt Lake City.

Yeah, that certainly doesn't scream Michael Jordan either.

What a force of nature Jordan was and continues to be to this day. No player has ever moved the needle the way he does. That fourth quarter of the '98 Finals I will never forget watching. It was a poetic ending to a storied career that was all about guts, will, and a determination that couldn't be overcome by any of his foes. Jordan scored 45 points, the rest of the Bulls chipped in 42. It wasn't a virtuoso skill wise type performance, but his mind and control of the court was light years ahead of the competition.

You'll get to watch it again on Wednesday at 9pm, if you want. Looks like ESPN is showing the game in its entirety plus some more all access coverage.