You're right.

Imagine being a WW2 vet and you stormed Normandy Beach, but people can't stay at home and watch Netflix all day for you.

One of the deaths a couple weeks ago was by an Omaha Beach veteran who earned two bronze stars. I thought of things like this when my mother told me about that - in addition to thinking how awful to survive Omaha Beach and have this bring you down.

One of the deaths a couple weeks ago was by an Omaha Beach veteran who earned two bronze stars. I thought of things like this when my mother told me about that - in addition to thinking how awful to survive Omaha Beach and have this bring you down.

I saw that. :thumb:

You're right.

Imagine being a WW2 vet and you stormed Normandy Beach, but people can't stay at home and watch Netflix all day for you.

That one nearly broke me. The sacrifice that he made! "We" certainly can't reciprocate.

I have sympathy for small business owners. But lots of them that I know agree. Lives>money.

That one nearly broke me. The sacrifice that he made! "We" certainly can't reciprocate.

I have sympathy for small business owners. But lots of them that I know agree. Lives>money.

I have some friends who are really hurting because of the economic impact on their small business. They're in a really tough spot, because they are trying to look out for their families as well as their employees.

I also had a dear, sweet elderly friend who died yesterday from The Rona. She and her husband helped my wife and I when we were young and just starting out. She often watched our daughter to give us time for us.

Both situations weigh on my mind, but the latter is the one I want to most avoid in the future.

Reopen too soon and CV spike = Economy crashes to levels we can't fathom with no propping up and no saving it then.

Thank Goodness we have TN, GA, TX, and FL speeding this nightmare up!

SEC,SEC,SEC!

:lol2::scared::cry::isurrender:

Why? What do "the lock-downers" (whoever that is??) gain from that?

That question is one that is hard to figure out. Some may view they will have gains in a topic we can't discuss here. Or they do not understand that consequences will far outweigh any potential impact of the virus. It definitely seems the goalpost has been moved to parking lot in this "game". The curve was DOA (and maybe due to the extreme efforts). But why is it always "two more weeks" or "another whole month".

One worst case scenerio I have seen floated went like this:

"The actions taken make no sense for a natural virus. The actions taken make perfect sense if the virus was a bioweapon.".

Flattening the curve is needed for a natural virus. If it is something more - then strict containment makes much more sense. But if it was the later - I would expect more solidarity at the government levels (states, Federal).

They are not throwing the doors open and forcing people to leave their homes. They are doing it in steps and placing regulations on businesses that decide to reopen. Those who wish to stay on lockdown may continue to do so.

Once the doors are opened it isn’t going to matter if people stay on lockdown or not.

So what happens if a business re-opens and the employees are afraid to come back? Do they lose their job? I believe people are going to be put into a situation where they're going to be forced to make the choice between keeping their job and staying healthy.

That’s already happening. “Essential” employees have had to make that choice from the jump.

I actually had this same thought. I think the good companies will work hard to give employees the option to be in the office or work from home. They will definitely need to change how cubes and offices are arranged and change how people collaborate.

Good company or bad company, I don't think every job can be handled from home.

This.

I hear you, but that was not my point. I think good companies will work with the employees to figure it out and offer options. Bad companies will only care about the bottom line, not be open to accommodation and employees will be put in very unfortunate circumstances.

I hear you, but that was not my point. I think good companies will work with the employees to figure it out and offer options. Bad companies will only care about the bottom line, not be open to accommodation and employees will be put in very unfortunate circumstances.

I think companies are going to be surprised at how much savings can be had by employees working from home. Salaries go farther because workers aren't paying as much for gas, parking, etc. And think about the commuting time saved. Also, Less occupancy expense for businesses--you don't need as much space, or to pay as much in utilities or maintenance and upkeep. Certainly there are lots of jobs that can't telecommute, especially on the manufacturing and production side. But I think a fair portion of the jobs will remain telecommuting even after this passes.

I think companies are going to be surprised at how much savings can be had by employees working from home. Salaries go farther because workers aren't paying as much for gas, parking, etc. And think about the commuting time saved. Also, Less occupancy expense for businesses--you don't need as much space, or to pay as much in utilities or maintenance and upkeep. Certainly there are lots of jobs that can't telecommute, especially on the manufacturing and production side. But I think a fair portion of the jobs will remain telecommuting even after this passes.

Agree. The issues for some companies will be "stick in the mud" middle managers who refuse to change the way they have always done things.

That’s already happening. “Essential” employees have had to make that choice from the jump.

Oh, I completely agree. My wife and I are both still working, because we're considered "essential" AND our employers have done what they could to help alleve some of dangers we might be facing. Without those features in place, we'd have had a much, much tougher decision.

But, with what some people are wanting in this re-opening of the economy...if a manufacturer needs 10 different people at various stages on an assembly line, and 6 of them don't feel like it's safe to return...what does the manufacturer do? (Or down the line, substitute a restaurant and their wait staff.) If they absolutely want to open, then they have to hire 6 new people. So, what happens then when the original 6 DO feel it's safe to return? Do they get their jobs back? Do they have to wait to be "re-hired" once an opening occurs? Do they still get to collect UI while they're staying at home waiting for things to clear up, or do they forfeit that once the plant/restaurant re-opens and they "had an opportunity to work"?

There is a difference in the loss of your income versus the loss of your job, in my opinion. Neither one is desirable, but the loss of income can be managed a whole lot better than losing your job completely.

I read an article last night that estimated that 87%(possibly 88%) of people who were placed on ventilators never recovered. A lot of the media coverage seems to be focused on a vaccine, which is probably wishful thinking right now. We really need to establish an effective way to treat the virus at this point.