Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Coronavirus stats I don’t believe:

1. China

2. Iran

3. Tennessee

Nearly triple the cases of KY but the same amount of deaths.

Tested per million

Tennessee - 14,599

Kentucky - 7,392

Total tests

Tennessee - 97,098

Kentucky - 32,820

Positive test results

Tennessee - 7,238

Kentucky - 3,050

I'd have to think if Kentucky increased the testing rate then you'd see an increased infected population. This virus has already made the rounds, we're just none the wiser.

Tested per million

Tennessee - 14,599

Kentucky - 7,392

Total tests

Tennessee - 97,098

Kentucky - 32,820

Positive test results

Tennessee - 7,238

Kentucky - 3,050

I'd have to think if Kentucky increased the testing rate then you'd see an increased infected population. This virus has already made the rounds, we're just none the wiser.

Population

Tenn: 6 million

KY: 4 million

Covid deaths as of today:

Tenn: 152

KY: 154

CDC total deaths from 2/1–4/18

Tenn: 16,058

KY: 9305

Seems legit...

Coronavirus stats I don’t believe:

1. China

2. Iran

3. Tennessee

Nearly triple the cases of KY but the same amount of deaths.

Wow, that is some accusation. You are saying the State of Tennessee is suppressing their COVID-19 death count.

If what you are suggesting is true I would expect some people to go to jail and it will dominate the news cycle.

Reposted from @Colonels_Wear_Blue

in another thread.

“Tennessee has basically put all of its eggs in one basket, going more or less all-in on the Abbott Laboratories ID Now testing machine. The FDA gave Abbott Labs an emergency-only approval (meaning it is only approved because of the emergency situation everyone is in due to dire need for testing). It was approved after conducting a total of 60 test samples. FDA testers gave 60 samples, 50% positive and 50% negative, and they were tested at random. The ID Now testing machine passed with 100% accuracy.

However, Abbott Labs admits to not knowing how many tests each machine can perform without requiring servicing, re-calibration, or replacement. The FDA's 510(k) medical device approval process usually requires rounds of testing that gets up into the tens of thousands prior to application for approval (which usually takes years), and then 100 rounds of tests by the FDA. To say that the approval for the Abbott Labs test was an abbreviated process is a gross understatement.

TL;DR - They don't know how accurate Tennessee's testing method is, and even if it starts out accurate, they don't know how long each testing machine stays accurate. The fact that Tennessee is basically using one single method for testing is scary.”

Wow, that is some accusation. You are saying the State of Tennessee is suppressing their COVID-19 death count.

If what you are suggesting is true I would expect some people to go to jail and it will dominate the news cycle.

Tennessee healthcare must be phenomenally better. There should be some great info coming out of their hospitals dealing with Covid-19 patients.

Posted this in one of the threads in Break Room. Thought I would add it here in case folks don't go to that one.

Interesting

Coronavirus 'Patient Zero' May Have Started Pandemic In November or Earlier

-Leaked documents suggest the Chinese government first knew about the coronavirus in November.

-The Chinese government still can’t confirm whether they’ve found Patient Zero, suggesting that the first actual case may be earlier than November.

-Many now suspect China had COVID-19 longer than initially perceived.

Coronavirus has been with us for longer than you think. According to documents seen by the South China Morning Post (SCMP), the Chinese government first detected a case of COVID-19 on Nov. 17. Yet it still hasn’t been able to confirm that this case really is the fabled “Patient Zero.”

Officially, the coronavirus didn’t exist until Dec. 31. The new leak of government documents therefore pushes the discovery of COVID-19 back by several weeks.

In other words, the first person to have had the coronavirus may have caught it even earlier than November. That;s why people who had pneumonia in December and January now suspect they already had the novel virus.

Kentucky may be artificially inflating its count. Kentucky is above the median for the states in this category.

Story about a local man in Bowling Green who has recovered from Covid-19. He was treated with hydroxychloroquine, and believes that is what helped get him past this. Maybe just more anecdotal evidence, but I feel like I've seen so many stories where this drug had an impact that it has to have some truth to it.

A turning point, he said, was when one of the doctors suggested treating him with hydroxychloroquine, a drug used to treat malaria, arthritis and lupus that is now being studied by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to determine its efficacy in treating COVID-19.

“This medication is not indicated for COVID-19,” Lacey said, “but I think it probably helped turn it around for me. I believe God directed that. He healed me through the help of the doctors.”

'You don't want what I had': Local COVID-19 survivor recalls experience | News | bgdailynews.com

Tested per million

Tennessee - 14,599

Kentucky - 7,392

Total tests

Tennessee - 97,098

Kentucky - 32,820

Positive test results

Tennessee - 7,238

Kentucky - 3,050

I don't buy that for a second.

If this virus already made the rounds, why was it that we didn't see a single patient in the US going in the ICU on a ventilator with symptoms like those related to COVID-19 until February 2020? If it "already made the rounds" then why is it that it wasn't until March 2020 that things got really, REALLY bad in New York City? Like why weren't they having to pile dead bodies into refrigerated tractor trailers on one of the previous "rounds"?

I don't buy that for a second.

If this virus already made the rounds, why was it that we didn't see a single patient in the US going in the ICU on a ventilator with symptoms like those related to COVID-19 until February 2020? If it "already made the rounds" then why is it that it wasn't until March 2020 that things got really, REALLY bad in New York City? Like why weren't they having to pile dead bodies into refrigerated tractor trailers on one of the previous "rounds"?

Simply put, because there was no testing. Since the CDC screwed up the tests that they sent out we had no idea what we were dealing with in scale and scope.

And, I didn't mean that it's made the rounds through everyone as much as it had already spread to various parts of the country. This thing was as widespread in the US before we knew of our "patient zero" in Seattle area.

China is reporting now that the first person that they "knew" about that had the symptoms was on November 17th. They didn't know what they were dealing with until January. It took our system a similar time to react to this as well. There is no way we'd have picked up on this until 3 to 4 weeks after it got a good foothold on a population center when we couldn't test anyone. NYC was the perfect population center for this thing to take off. Reports are indicating that Covid was in NYC and spreading by mid-February.

Studies Show N.Y. Outbreak Originated in Europe - The New York Times

How do we explain the serology reports that are coming out that are saying that 55% to 85% more people are actually infected with this thing. My only explanation is that this was worse than we knew about before we even knew about it.

How else do we explain its spread. Wouldn't we have expected this thing to have gotten a foothold on a population center? Instead this thing popped up in the US and had peppered myself into our society and we had no clue because there wasn't a test for it.

The virus needed a foothold before a concentration of people on ventilators was noticed.

The CDC screwed this thing up from the beginning with their contaminated tests. We had an entire month or two from December on where we were stalled in our ability to test anyone. We don't know where it has been, but again serology reports are telling us that it's far more spread out than what we're aware of.

Just came across this article via phone notification.......

I apologize for the funny looking copy/paste job from the article. It keeps posting like that on here when I post part of the article when I use my phone.

More deaths, no benefit from malaria drug in VA virus study

“The nationwide study was not a rigorous experiment. But with 368 patients, it’s the largest look so far of hydroxychloroquine with or without the antibiotic azithromycin for COVID-19, which has killed more than 171,000 people as of Tuesday.

The study was posted on an online site for researchers and has been submitted to the New England Journal of Medicine, but has not been reviewed by other scientists. Grants from the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia paid for the work.

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting routine care alone. About 22% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that could have affected survival.

Hydroxychloroquine made no difference in the need for a breathing machine, either.”

Story about a local man in Bowling Green who has recovered from Covid-19. He was treated with hydroxychloroquine, and believes that is what helped get him past this. Maybe just more anecdotal evidence, but I feel like I've seen so many stories where this drug had an impact that it has to have some truth to it.

'You don't want what I had': Local COVID-19 survivor recalls experience | News | bgdailynews.com

That’s why scientific double blind studies are so important. Thinking something is working and it actually working may be two different things.