What Are You Reading In 2020?

Randy Parker

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

I prefer paper, but I have also gotten used to the value pricing and convenience of purchasing on Amazon Smiles (to support my charity) and downloading to the Kindle app on my iPad.

You're the first person that I actually know (somewhat) who also does the Amazon Smile.  Everybody else I've ever asked about that, always look at me like I've got a third eye.  Been doing it myself for the past couple of years or so, supporting the Mike Rowe WORKS Foundation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Agreed.

2 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Give me the paper.  I'm okay with shorter, news-type of stories.  But for anything else, I want that tactile touch of the paper.  And this might sound weird, but I feel like there's a smell from turning the pages too.

Dang. Even I can’t read that fast. 

2 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

You're the first person that I actually know (somewhat) who also does the Amazon Smile.  Everybody else I've ever asked about that, always look at me like I've got a third eye.  Been doing it myself for the past couple of years or so, supporting the Mike Rowe WORKS Foundation.

Awesome!  I support Covington Holy Cross with my purchases.  Amazon Smile is very easy to do and it is basically the same website (just a different URL) that instead ties to the charity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcpapa said:

One of the most frustrating feelings in the world is knowing you’ve read every Reacher book.  

Ahh, but a new one comes out in October.

I like to re-read books because I always pickup things I did not catch the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time around and Reacher books are always entertaining. 

Most people listen to a music album over and over. I am that way with books.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, CincySportsFan said:

Are you reading the physical books, or electronically?

3 ways, physical, electronic, and audio, but mostly electronic and audio. I usually have at least 2 books going on simultaneously, one audio, one electronic.

WARNING!!!! TMI to follow.

I read relatively fast as a result of taking the Evelyn Woodski Sped Redding course when I had a maniacal professor teaching History 101 at UK. She assigned 7 or 8 books to read beyond the required course book and I was taking a full load and working full time. It saved my rear by getting me through the material and improving my comprehension. At one time I was reading over 1500 words a minute and having to read my books on micro fiche, but I generally read between 400 and 700 wpm, now. It's tough for me to read a physical book, even at that rate, so I prefer electronic. 

For what it is worth, I listen to my audio books at 1.5 to double speed, too, depending on narrator. Normal speed, like listening to music, puts me to sleep. Mrs. S can't stand how I listen to books on long trips. I have to wear ear phones.