Incident involving a player and fan during Paintsville/Williamsburg game

DevilMayCare

This has started making the rounds on social media. Williamsburg QB Dalton Ponder ran out of bounds against Paintsville Friday night and was laid out by a fan - not a coach - on the Paintsville sideline.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

This is the second incident involving someone associated with Paintsville football on their sideline in recent weeks. Against LCA a few weeks back, a Paintsville assistant threw an LCA player's armband/callsheet into the stands when the player came to retrieve it.

Skip to the 39:00 mark of the video below, it happens following the LCA pick-six. You won't actually see it happen in this video, but you'll see an LCA player head toward the Paintsville sideline at 39:20 to retrieve it just before the shot suspiciously cuts to the scoreboard, at which point you'll hear an LCA coach near the Paintsville broadcast team start yelling around the 39:30 mark. I've seen an alternate version of this game broadcast that doesn't cut away and you actually see the incident, but I can't find it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shameful.

Supposedly an individual has spoke up on Twiter and taken "responsibility" by saying they were trying to protect the cheerleaders, that they had done something like this before, and even mocking that they did not even hit the player that hard and for that player to "come on".

The incident with the wrist band was awful and it is clear Paintsville has not taken steps to clean up their sideline from people who have no right being there.

Both obviously happened and are totally inexcusable. Thank you for clearly pointing out that the shove was done by a fan and not any member of the coaching staff or administration. Paintsville, as well as every school, needs to have better control on who is on the sidelines. He was a former player (last year). I haven’t seen it (Twitter) but his “defense” was he was protecting the cheer squad from the player running into them. Very weak defense and probably just made up. After that play, the sidelines were cleared and only need to be personnel were on the sidelines.

The LCA incident was an assistant coach and he was disciplined.

That's pretty bad. BUT is there any chance he was trying to protect the cheerleaders or anything? Did the guy go over and help the kid up or anything? If not, that's pretty serious.

You could argue law enforcement should be get involved if he was doing that for no reason. AWFUL.

That's pretty bad. BUT is there any chance he was trying to protect the cheerleaders or anything? Did the guy go over and help the kid up or anything? If not, that's pretty serious.

You could argue law enforcement should be get involved if he was doing that for no reason. AWFUL.

From the film I saw, yes. He did go over and attempt to help up the player. I just don’t buy it. Also, a PF was called.

Just a terrible situation. Also, 2 Williamsburg fans were arrested for attacking an official after the game. Just an ugly scene for such a great game.

I've been a nearly identical situation with an opposing player coming right at me. I couldn't get out of the way, so I just bearhugged him to slow him down without hurting either one of us. He patted me on the head, I tapped his helmet and he went back for the next play.

I've been a nearly identical situation with an opposing player coming right at me. I couldn't get out of the way, so I just bearhugged him to slow him down without hurting either one of us. He patted me on the head, I tapped his helmet and he went back for the next play.

Right, because that's what someone does who is trying to protect the player.