The future of Bob Beatty

I agree. Beatty is certainly a good coach, but I suspect that a lot of coaches could win at Trinity.

See, this is totally unfair. The guy has won five state titles in seven years while competing with the other two top programs in the state (Male and X).

That's nothing short of spectacular to me, and I can't name many (if any) coaches who would have made a similar run.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Westsider and GR8BigBull,

You are wrong. What Beatty has done at Trinity has never been done at Trinity. Is there a coach out there that could have similar success if given the chance at Trinity? We may never know. But I'm sure its not a case of just plugging in any Tom, Dick or Harry (or Mike or Joe for that matter) and the program runs its self. Every year there are teams around the state that have superior talent (at least according to the experts) yet when the dust settles the trophy has been handed over to the Shamrocks head man. I am proud that Trinity has the distinction of being the best football program in the state, its only fitting that we have the best coach. Don't ever believe otherwise.

I agree. Beatty is certainly a good coach, but I suspect that a lot of coaches could win at Trinity.

You're right, a few coaches could win at Trinity given time, but NOT LIKE BEATTY has done it. Coach Beatty has won and lost with less talented players than other schools. But with every loss, the Rocks get stronger. Beatty will remain head coach for another year and hopefully will retire at the Rock.

I honestly DO think that Bob Beatty is a fine coach, as fine a coach as there is in this area! Please, please do not make it out to be an extraordinary feat that he wins as much as he does at a school like Trinity. He ought to win!!! I think WE ALL can agree that Trinity is not at a loss for much of ANYTHING!!! They DO have some of the best Alumni, facilities, football tradition and areas to draw prospective students from. I AM one of the few who really thinks there are a lot of coaches who could be just as successful there as Beatty has been. Many have done very well at the schools they coach but just do not get over "the hump" and win the games head to head all the time. They just need to keep working harder and nope that they can get that 1-2 wins that CAN turn the tables. I am SURE that I will be blasted for this comment but that is my opinion and I AM entitled to it.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. However, it is very wrong. And as far as replacing Beatty, I do not think our next coach will waltz in and win 5 championships in 7 years. ( It would be nice, but unlikely) Thinking that whoever walks in the door can take a bunch of kids and automatically be that sucessful is shortsighted logic.

Reread my first statement! I never detracted from Beatty and never said that ANY Tom, Dick, or Harry (Mike or Joe) could replace Beatty. Let us not think there have been some very distinct changes over the years at Trinity leading up to the hiring of Beatty and afterwards. The scope/range of the types of student/athletes has changed as has the facilities and the overall commitment to the football program has. I suspect there has been an overall commitment to athletics in general with the tremendous facilities they now have at their disposal. This is one reason I cringe when others talk about how they are so successful and "doing it with less"(?) Less what? Don't try that talent card or facilities or whatever. Let us all be realistic, Trinity has more of just about everything than most and they have worked to get that. (Not saying than St. X or even Male, just most). I, as well as alot of others, would take six or eight less talented athletes (who are dedicated, loyal, and football savy) over one pure athlete any day. Multiply that by the numbers of football players and you have a team full of warriors ready to lay it on the line for the general. That is not all that bad of a situation to be in. I am sure too that Trinity does compensate their coach reasonably well and that would allow them to "replace" Beatty with someone almost as capable with a little more ease.

Besides his coaching record at Trinity, what is to me most impressive about Bob Beatty winning 5 of the last 7 state championships, is that with extraordinary success comes excessive egos. Egos from players, coaches, parents, etc. Along with egos comes a poison, a cancer that can rip through a successful program or organization and that it down. We have seen it on all levels of sports and businesses. Bob Beatty has successfully sold the Trinity family on checking these egos each and every year and starting with a new mission......winning a state championship.

He has a pretty nice business model and blueprint for success! I bet he would be an excellent CEO for some company as well.

I, as well as alot of others, would take six or eight less talented athletes (who are dedicated, loyal, and football savy) over one pure athlete any day.

Why can't most other schools find the less talented athletes who are dedicated, loyal and football savvy? Most other schools already have the one pure athlete, if not more.

Why can't most other schools find the less talented athletes who are dedicated, loyal and football savvy? Most other schools already have the one pure athlete, if not more.

I agree CR. If GR8BigBull has it all figured out, why doesn't he (and others) just do it. I guess its true what they say... talk is cheap.

I agree CR. If GR8BigBull has it all figured out, why doesn't he (and others) just do it. I guess its true what they say... talk is cheap.

Take what GR8BigBull says as a compliment. THS had 12 Titles before Coach Beaty arrived, and when/if the day comes that he decides to not coach THS, I have confidence that they will win more.

This is a credit to the school, the community, the parents, the players, the non-football playing students (are there any..;) ), and the alumni.

I've grown-up/played at the school with 1 less state championship than Trinity, and have had the pleasure of coaching at a HS in Louisville that was in it's 2nd year of football earlier in this decade, and I can't begin to tell you the inherent advantages that all those things I mentioned above provide. Few schools have them, and the rest sure would like them.

Re-read my comment again, guys. I only said that a lot of coaches would win at Trinity. You guys took it all out of context.

Under the current setup, Trinity and St. Xavier are going to win the state title at least 80 percent of the time. Trinity has the upper hand right now, so they're on a run. Beatty deserves credit for that, but some of you guys make it sound as if he invented the sport.

Re-read my comment again, guys. I only said that a lot of coaches would win at Trinity. You guys took it all out of context.

Under the current setup, Trinity and St. Xavier are going to win the state title at least 80 percent of the time. Trinity has the upper hand right now, so they're on a run. Beatty deserves credit for that, but some of you guys make it sound as if he invented the sport.

It also didn't hurt to have Brian Brohm for 3 of his titles.

My point is that it is much more difficult to sustain this kind of success over time because you have a huge bullseye on your chest and that it is easy to become complacent when you are on top.

I do not see this from Beatty or Trinity and that is what most impresses me.

You know you could say the Yankees have an unfair talent and resource advantage (like Trinity????) in Major League Baseball, but they didn't even win the American League pennant this year?

To stay on top over a long period of time is more difficult than to get on top just once.