Youth Basketball Coaching Tips

Kentucky Windage

Hey guys, after about a decade of retirement from basketball coaching I've decided to throw myself back into the fray. I'm used to coaching kids who are a little older (11 to 14 year olds). This time I took on a younger group, more introductory basketball.

I got 2 to 3 kids who are fairly skilled with the basketball, the rest are a work in progress.

So, I was wanting to lean on my BGP brothers and sisters for some advice, tips, drills. Anything that will help with the progression of getting these kids to a more polished level.

At this age, winning would be a bonus but ultimately I don't really care about that right now. I'm more so looking to get these kids ready for the next jump in competition.

Please, please, please teach them to play defense with their feet. I see so many coaches at that age pushing aggression (literally tackling a kid to get the ball) over playing proper defense. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. I took over a group of 1st graders a few years back who were taught that way. For the first half of the season, they were not allowed to steal the ball at all. They had to show me they could move their feet and play proper defense before they could steal the ball. Parents weren't thrilled with that at first as all they wanted to do was win, which is another pet peeve of mine with the younger ages. However, they understood and were very appreciative by the end of the season. I'm a very firm believer if you teach kids how to play a game properly, and push the fundamentals on all players on the team, winning will take care of itself.

One drill the kids always loved at that age was dribble knockout. It a good drill for them to keep their head up and use their body to protect the ball. For your more advanced players, tell them they can only dribble with their off hand. When a player gets knocked out, they don't go stand and watch, have another dribbling station setup for them to move over to.

Proper shooting form learned at a young age carries over into their high school years.

Too often we have to change a player's shot form (in the summer) when they arrive in high school, the result of grade school coaches allowing young players to develop, or attempt to perfect, their bad habits.

A good shot is shot from the forehead, or just above the shoulder, with the hand cocked, knees flexed, and the "power" coming from the legs and not the arms. Good follow-through (finger tips down - hand in the cookie jar) leads to good shot form as well.

Even if your players do not have the strength to shoot effectively in this manner, they will grow into it. Make sure they stay under the shot.

Of course i can't coach but am In total agreement with the above posts. For the defense i might add that you start with the defenders' hands behind their backs as they learn the footwork. Once they master that, allow them to use their hands as they defend the dribbler.

For the age you have strength may be a factor in their shooting. If possible, get them on an 8 foot goal and follow Mustang's guidelines. Keep the elbow tucked in, no chicken wings. The ball should not rest in the palm of the hand, no shot -putting.

Good luck KY. Windage and have fun with the younger age group!

Proper shooting form learned at a young age carries over into their high school years.

Too often we have to change a player's shot form (in the summer) when they arrive in high school, the result of grade school coaches allowing young players to develop, or attempt to perfect, their bad habits.

A good shot is shot from the forehead, or just above the shoulder, with the hand cocked, knees flexed, and the "power" coming from the legs and not the arms. Good follow-through (finger tips down - hand in the cookie jar) leads to good shot form as well.

Even if your players do not have the strength to shoot effectively in this manner, they will grow into it. Make sure they stay under the shot.

Use that BEEF technique.

This will sound simple, but have them work on catching the ball cleanly. Lots of full court dribbling and finishing. Also, work on pivoting, catch the ball, pivot without walking, and then attack the basket.

Simple stuff, in addition to the defensive suggestions.

I can’t stress enough how few kids know how to use their pivot to their advantage. Should be asked of all all elementary basketball coaches.

I was taught Bend, Elbow, Extend, Follow-through

Mine was Balance, Eyes(on the rim), Elbow(under the shooting hand), Elevate(both off the ground with the legs and the ball moving upward out of the hand), Follow-through. Feel free to use as many E’s as possible, without necessitating too much thinking.

At this age, winning would be a bonus but ultimately I don't really care about that right now. I'm more so looking to get these kids ready for the next jump in competition.

Blasphemy!!! Just kidding. Play all man-to-man. It is a detriment to ask them to play zone defense.