RPI question

BWTigers

If you just go to the scoreboard and click on any team it will bring them up with their entire class's RPI below. Keep in mind the only relevance of the RPI is within the class. A 4A rating lower than a 1A team does not mean superiority of the 1A over the 4A.

Also everyone, @BrosefStalin posted this in another thread and it is germane:

First two rounds are district. Winner of second week district championship game then moves onto third round. In the 3rd round, Districts 1-4 and Districts 5-8 faceoff and seeds are applied via the RPI.

Districts 1-4: Four champs are ranked 1-4 based on RPI. #1 hosts #4 and #2 hosts #3.

Districts 5-8: Four champs are ranked 1-4 based on RPI. #1 hosts #4 and #2 hosts #3.

After this, there will be four teams remaining.

Round 4: Four remaining teams ranked 1-4 based on RPI. #4 travels to #1 and #3 travels to #2. Winners play in the state title game.

Clear as mud, right?

AND

Expounding further, here's a hypothetical run-down:

Let's say these are the Districts Champs in 6A with current RPI ranking:

District 1 – #6 McCracken County (6-2)

District 2 – #2 North Hardin (8-0)

District 3 – #3 DuPont Manual (7-1)

District 4 – #1 Male (8-0)

District 5 – #5 Trinity (Louisville) (6-2)

District 6 – #11 Ryle (5-4)

District 7 – #15 Tates Creek (4-4)

District 8 – #14 Oldham County (5-3)

Round 3 -

McCracken Co. at Male

DuPont Manual at North Hardin

Tates Creek at Trinity

Oldham Co. at Ryle

Winners: Male, N. Hardin, Trinity, Ryle

Round 4: Ryle at Male, Trinity at N. Hardin

Round 5: Male vs. N. Hardin

Hope that helps!

I think the theory and the intention is good, but I'm skeptical of the execution, at least from a mathematics standpoint.

That's essentially where I'm at. They seem to have good intentions but are relying on a system that is clearly a work in progress.

Then there is the scheduling issue to improve a teams rpi for seeding purposes. I'm familiar with Ashland so I'll use them as an example. To keep it short and simple them scheduling high quality out of state teams (four of them) is really hurting their RPI since those teams are all weighted at .500, yet Ashland only lost one of those games, on the road, in overtime.

So do you keep playing the local out of state teams that have solid programs and bring a good gate? Or do you start trying to find somewhat equal in state programs and start traveling long distances and losing a bunch of gate money when it's your turn to host?

In the first scenario you are going to know that your team is battle tested and ready for the playoffs, plus the program will earn more money. In the second scenario you're gonna lose money and unless you get lucky and find the right teams to play you, you're still likely playing a watered down schedule, yet achieve a higher rpi for seeding.

No, but I think it should. More data the better.

The killer there is if you’re a good team in a bad district. Your first two playoff games, which you have to play, could be against bad teams and thus hurt your numbers. You’d be penalized although it wouldn’t be your fault.

The killer there is if you’re a good team in a bad district. Your first two playoff games, which you have to play, could be against bad teams and thus hurt your numbers. You’d be penalized although it wouldn’t be your fault.

That's another problem I see. The other side of that is that if you're in a really good district, another good team is going to be eliminated in the second round. I'm ok with that, but this season for instance in 3A, Ashland and Russell are both in the top 6 in RPI, yet one of them will be eliminated in the second round. I could see this scene atop leading to some really weak third round games.

Would also have all other playoff teams you played changing it also so lots of variables. I’m not a fan of rpi. There is reason NCAA went away from it.