Wildcats @ Tarheels: December 2nd

Son of Bear

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats kind of funny you say that, because hasn't Roy Williams done the same things as Tubby has. Roy Williams has had plenty of teams that have got knocked out early in tournaments. He has had teams while at Kansas that was suppose to be the most talented teams in the country only to get upset in the tournament every year. Teams like Tubby had that were 1 seeds but didn't get to the final four. Then at UNC he wins a title with a team with a bunch of players he didn't recruit...

So its kind of funny that people say he is a better coach, and how Tubby should only be at programs like Tulsa. When really they both have done the exact same thing...

In 15 seasons his Jayhawk teams compiled an incredible record of 410-101 (.802) winning percentage. Williams winning percentage at KU ranks him first among all active coaches and third in the history of college basketball.

Williams has been to 5 final fours

3 NCAA Championship Games

Won 1 national championship

Perhaps even more remarkable is the Jayhawks at home record where they went an incredible 201-17 (.922) in the cozy confines of Allen Fieldhouse where they enjoyed a 62 consecutive home game winning streak stretching over four plus seasons.

Over Williams tenure at KU his teams averaged almost 28 wins per season and enjoyed five 30-win seasons

In Williams 15 seasons at KU the Jayhawks went to the "Big Dance" in all but his first year at KU, in other words 14 remarkable seasons in a row.

Williams led the Jayhawks as far as the Championship game twice and the Final Four on 2 occasions. KU coached by Williams went as far as the Sweet 16 four times and were stopped at the Elite Eight once. The Williams led Jayhawks own a 34-14 (.708) NCAA postseason tournament record which puts him in 6th place on the all time winningest list for active coaches participating in 10 or more NCAA postseason tournament games.

Williams was honored as National Coach of the Year four times while at Kansas and was named the Big Eight/Big Twelve Coach of the Year seven times.

# Sixteen years NCAA Division I mens college basketball coach

# In 15 seasons his Jayhawk teams compiled a record of 410-101 (.802) winning percentage

# Winning percentage at KU ranks him first among all active coaches and third in the history of college basketball

# Williams led Jayhawks won 20 or more games in 14 consecutive seasons

# Jayhawks at home record of 201-17 (.922)

# Enjoyed a 62 consecutive home game winning streak

# Williams KU teams averaged almost 28 wins per season

# Five 30-win seasons

# Jayhawks conference record of 94-18 (.839) Big Twelve play

# Jayhawks won nine regular season conference titles

# KU won the Big Twelve regular season title four times and the postseason tournament three times

# Jayhawks the first Big 12 team to post a 16-0 record in league play

# Williams KU Jayhawks went to the "Big Dance" 14 consecutive seasons

# Williams led the Jayhawks to the NCAA Championship game twice

# Kansas went as far as the Final Four twice

# KU coached by Williams went as far as the Sweet 16 four times and were stopped at the Elite Eight once

# The Williams led Jayhawks own a 34-14 (.708) NCAA postseason tournament record

# 6th place on the all time winningest list for active coaches participating in 10 or more NCAA postseason tournament games

# KU Jayhawks went to the Final Four in consecutive years for the first time since early 50's

# Between 1991 and 1999 KU in AP Top 25 poll for 145 consecutive weeks

# Since Williams second season at Kansas Jayhawks were ranked in the Top 10 in 194 AP polls

# KU has been ranked at least number 2 in the country for 11 out of Williams 15 seasons

# Jayhawks enjoyed the number 1 ranking in six different seasons

# Seventeen of Williams Jayhawk players earned first team all-conference honors

# Coached seven first team All-America players and five conference player of the year winners

# Coached two Jayhawks voted the best player in the country by the NABC

# Coached four KU Jayhawks to consensus first team All-America honors

# Ten of Williams Jayhawk players have been first round NBA draft picks

# 31 KU Jayhawks earned first-team academic all conference honors

# Three KU players were named first-team Academic All-America

# First season at UNC the Tarheels went 19-11 (.633) overall

# Williams Tarheels made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament

# Williams was honored as National Coach of the Year four times while at Kansas

# Named the Big Eight/Big Twelve Coach of the Year seven times

# Received the prestigious John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching award

# Coached four USA Basketball teams either as an assistant coach or head coach

Roy Williams has been the head coach of UNC since 2003. When Williams arrived at Carolina, the Tar Heels were struggling but the team had top talent including McDonald's All Americans Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Raymond Felton. In his first season, UNC finished 19-11 and were knocked out in the second round of the NCAA tournament by Texas. Williams was able to turn the team around in his second season. With the arrival of freshman phenom Marvin Williams and a more focused Tar Heel squad, Williams was able to coach Carolina to a National Championship in 20

Williams won more games in the first 15 seasons of his coaching career than anyone else in NCAA history.

Williams is the 12th coach to lead two schools to the Final Four and the third (with Larry Brown and Frank McGuire) to direct two schools to the championship game.

Williams has coached a team to 30 or more wins six times, which equals the second-most in NCAA history.

Roy & Tubby have won 1 national championship a piece but don't try to say Roy has done the same things Tubby has done until Tubby coaches a few more years...

In 15 seasons his Jayhawk teams compiled an incredible record of 410-101 (.802) winning percentage. Williams winning percentage at KU ranks him first among all active coaches and third in the history of college basketball.

Williams has been to 5 final fours

3 NCAA Championship Games

Won 1 national championship

Perhaps even more remarkable is the Jayhawks at home record where they went an incredible 201-17 (.922) in the cozy confines of Allen Fieldhouse where they enjoyed a 62 consecutive home game winning streak stretching over four plus seasons.

Over Williams tenure at KU his teams averaged almost 28 wins per season and enjoyed five 30-win seasons

In Williams 15 seasons at KU the Jayhawks went to the "Big Dance" in all but his first year at KU, in other words 14 remarkable seasons in a row.

Williams led the Jayhawks as far as the Championship game twice and the Final Four on 2 occasions. KU coached by Williams went as far as the Sweet 16 four times and were stopped at the Elite Eight once. The Williams led Jayhawks own a 34-14 (.708) NCAA postseason tournament record which puts him in 6th place on the all time winningest list for active coaches participating in 10 or more NCAA postseason tournament games.

Williams was honored as National Coach of the Year four times while at Kansas and was named the Big Eight/Big Twelve Coach of the Year seven times.

# Sixteen years NCAA Division I mens college basketball coach

# In 15 seasons his Jayhawk teams compiled a record of 410-101 (.802) winning percentage

# Winning percentage at KU ranks him first among all active coaches and third in the history of college basketball

# Williams led Jayhawks won 20 or more games in 14 consecutive seasons

# Jayhawks at home record of 201-17 (.922)

# Enjoyed a 62 consecutive home game winning streak

# Williams KU teams averaged almost 28 wins per season

# Five 30-win seasons

# Jayhawks conference record of 94-18 (.839) Big Twelve play

# Jayhawks won nine regular season conference titles

# KU won the Big Twelve regular season title four times and the postseason tournament three times

# Jayhawks the first Big 12 team to post a 16-0 record in league play

# Williams KU Jayhawks went to the "Big Dance" 14 consecutive seasons

# Williams led the Jayhawks to the NCAA Championship game twice

# Kansas went as far as the Final Four twice

# KU coached by Williams went as far as the Sweet 16 four times and were stopped at the Elite Eight once

# The Williams led Jayhawks own a 34-14 (.708) NCAA postseason tournament record

# 6th place on the all time winningest list for active coaches participating in 10 or more NCAA postseason tournament games

# KU Jayhawks went to the Final Four in consecutive years for the first time since early 50's

# Between 1991 and 1999 KU in AP Top 25 poll for 145 consecutive weeks

# Since Williams second season at Kansas Jayhawks were ranked in the Top 10 in 194 AP polls

# KU has been ranked at least number 2 in the country for 11 out of Williams 15 seasons

# Jayhawks enjoyed the number 1 ranking in six different seasons

# Seventeen of Williams Jayhawk players earned first team all-conference honors

# Coached seven first team All-America players and five conference player of the year winners

# Coached two Jayhawks voted the best player in the country by the NABC

# Coached four KU Jayhawks to consensus first team All-America honors

# Ten of Williams Jayhawk players have been first round NBA draft picks

# 31 KU Jayhawks earned first-team academic all conference honors

# Three KU players were named first-team Academic All-America

# First season at UNC the Tarheels went 19-11 (.633) overall

# Williams Tarheels made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament

# Williams was honored as National Coach of the Year four times while at Kansas

# Named the Big Eight/Big Twelve Coach of the Year seven times

# Received the prestigious John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching award

# Coached four USA Basketball teams either as an assistant coach or head coach

Roy Williams has been the head coach of UNC since 2003. When Williams arrived at Carolina, the Tar Heels were struggling but the team had top talent including McDonald's All Americans Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Raymond Felton. In his first season, UNC finished 19-11 and were knocked out in the second round of the NCAA tournament by Texas. Williams was able to turn the team around in his second season. With the arrival of freshman phenom Marvin Williams and a more focused Tar Heel squad, Williams was able to coach Carolina to a National Championship in 20

Williams won more games in the first 15 seasons of his coaching career than anyone else in NCAA history.

Williams is the 12th coach to lead two schools to the Final Four and the third (with Larry Brown and Frank McGuire) to direct two schools to the championship game.

Williams has coached a team to 30 or more wins six times, which equals the second-most in NCAA history.

Roy & Tubby have won 1 national championship a piece but don't try to say Roy has done the same things Tubby has done until Tubby coaches a few more years...

Wow I must of hit a nerve with that post, because if you know me at all and from my post. I was using that as being sarcastic to go against all the people who say Tubby should be fired. I have never once said Roy Williams is not a great coach, because he is a great coach, and so is Tubby. Williams did a great job with that Kansas program, and is at now another top notch school. While Tubby started out at place like Tulsa, then Georgia before he came here. You pretty much just wasted a huge post for nothing on me, because I know all the great things Roy Williams has done.

You do bring up an interesting point for me though, because if I did the math right you brought up 9 years while at KU. 2 were in the championship game, 2 were in the final four, 1 in the elite 8, and 4 sweet 16 games. So that means if he coached at KU for 15 years, there is 6 years missing that you didn't mention right? So in those 6 years I guess it pretty safe for me to say that those years must have been either 1st or 2nd round losses, or one one of them not making the tournament...

So you know what your long post does absolutely nothing for you, because you cant tell me if Tubby had done the same at KY as Roy Williams did at KU, that people wouldn't be wanting him gone. Because I mean all those other great things he accomplished wouldn't matter since he didn't actually bring a championship home, and that he had around 6 times he didn't make it past the 2nd round. If he did that at KY alot of the same people would be wanting him gone, and they will be lying if they say they wouldn't.

So yeah now do you see why I compare the two, because the Tubby haters who want him gone, obviously think Williams is a good coach though. But if Tubby had done the same as Williams did at KU they still would want Tubby gone, and that is why I brought up the comparison. Because no matter how a coach does, it dont matter to some people. So thank you for bringing up that LONG post with all those GREAT stats, because they really just help what I am saying even more. Because you could have all the great stats in world as a coach like Roy Williams had, or what Tubby has so far at UK, but it wouldn't matter for the 18% because they still would want him gone. So once again thank you for those stats...:sssh: ;)

Wow I must of hit a nerve with that post, because if you know me at all and from my post. I was using that as being sarcastic to go against all the people who say Tubby should be fired. I have never once said Roy Williams is not a great coach, because he is a great coach, and so is Tubby. Williams did a great job with that Kansas program, and is at now another top notch school. While Tubby started out at place like Tulsa, then Georgia before he came here. You pretty much just wasted a huge post for nothing on me, because I know all the great things Roy Williams has done.

You do bring up an interesting point for me though, because if I did the math right you brought up 9 years while at KU. 2 were in the championship game, 2 were in the final four, 1 in the elite 8, and 4 sweet 16 games. So that means if he coached at KU for 15 years, there is 6 years missing that you didn't mention right? So in those 6 years I guess it pretty safe for me to say that those years must have been either 1st or 2nd round losses, or one one of them not making the tournament...

So you know what your long post does absolutely nothing for you, because you cant tell me if Tubby had done the same at KY as Roy Williams did at KU, that people wouldn't be wanting him gone. Because I mean all those other great things he accomplished wouldn't matter since he didn't actually bring a championship home, and that he had around 6 times he didn't make it past the 2nd round. If he did that at KY alot of the same people would be wanting him gone, and they will be lying if they say they wouldn't.

So yeah now do you see why I compare the two, because the Tubby haters who want him gone, obviously think Williams is a good coach though. But if Tubby had done the same as Williams did at KU they still would want Tubby gone, and that is why I brought up the comparison. Because no matter how a coach does, it dont matter to some people. So thank you for bringing up that LONG post with all those GREAT stats, because they really just help what I am saying even more. Because you could have all the great stats in world as a coach like Roy Williams had, or what Tubby has so far at UK, but it wouldn't matter for the 18% because they still would want him gone. So once again thank you for those stats...:sssh: ;)

k.....Just thought you meant something different in your post

He did... but your post had bolder words ..... nice data!

While a lot of the Tubby lovers are starting to wonder... you have a few who still love Tubby to the bone.

It was nice date, and from it I cant say for sure but I am pretty sure though that if Tubby had done the same thing as Roy Williams had done at KU, you would still be wanting him gone. But since its not Tubby, you are willing to say that Roy is a good coach then. I mean if Tubby had done what Roy did and not got a single title in any of those years, you all would have still been wanting him gone. Saying probably stuff like well he can get us there, but he just cant win the big one, and we need to bring someone in that can get it done...

As I have said before I truly believe that no matter what Tubby does, most of you still would not want him here, just because I believe that some of you just never wanted him here. So no matter what he does it wouldn't matter. I guarntee even if in a couple of those elite 8 years, that if we made the final four and then lost, you all still would find something to complain about to say why Tubby should be gone...

I will say this though, Tubby is a GREAT coach and one of the best in America. But if we have another year where we end up not doing to great, then maybe I think to then that maybe we should have a change. But its not for the reason why alot of you Tubby haters say we should lose Tubby in which Tubby is not a good coach and only should be at places like Tulsa. It would because sometimes change could be a good thing, and could be a good thing for both parties. But it wouldn't be because he is not a great coach because he is a great one and one of the best, and I think we would have a hard time bringing in a better coach than him, but a change could possibly end up being a good thing for both parties involved. Before anything though I want to see how this season plays out...