Tubby And The Early Signing Period

gametime

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not "that far out there" - I am a realist. They rate the recruiting classes each year and I just don't see UK getting the top 20 players. As a result, I don't see UK in the top 25 in the national rankings, either.
The days of UK or ANY program getting "All-American High School Players Only", is long gone.

At every level, coaches do a much better job of recruiting quality players. I spoke with Happy Osborne and he said "I have to get the D1 type of players, to compete now"....that was 3 years ago.

Players choosing UK, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, Notre Dame, etc....years ago, are now going to Gonzaga, Ohio State, Florida, Marquette and many diverse schools, for various reasons....location, chance to play, coach, style of play and much more.

Is USC a top 25 program, no but they landed the biggest recruit in the '07 class. Reasons vary on why they go here and there, but being great in high school, does not translate to college. If that was the case, every top 10 player in high school, would be the same selection in the NBA.

This year's freshman class was rated 11th by Rivals.
....:sssh:

This year's freshman class was rated 11th by Rivals.

I think Tubby has shown that he can bring in good recruits sometimes...what he isn't doing is getting it done consistently. Just a scan down our roster proves that...

Our senior class is highlighted by Perry and Thomas...not good.

Our junior class was one of the best ever at UK, on paper.

Our sophomores...Jared Carter.

Our freshmen class was rated good and the early consensus is that the potential is there.

He just needs to bring in good classes more consistently.

I think Tubby has shown that he can bring in good recruits sometimes...what he isn't doing is getting it done consistently. Just a scan down our roster proves that...

Our freshmen class was rated good and the early consensus is that the potential is there.

What about players who left early, Rondo, Azibuke in the last few years. Often times, players are not easily replaced, if they decide to leave late in the recruiting season.

:thumb: This I can agree with you on and imo getting rid of Rigot and Hansen will be a big help also. JMO

This is true. Also, this happened with Brandan Wright. He wanted to go to UK, has been a fan since he was little, Hanson did not seal the deal, and UNC came in and got him at the eleventh hour. Can you imagine this team with Hansborough, Wright, SWAT, and Morris? Man, what a front line at the Power Forward and Center.

That was only partly true. It was true when it came to Wright but not Hansborough. Tyler's dad was ga ga for Ol Roy. Thats why he didnt come here.

What about players who left early, Rondo, Azibuke in the last few years. Often times, players are not easily replaced, if they decide to leave late in the recruiting season.

I was counting Rondo as part of the junior class, but it's good even without him. Besides, he was singled out as the biggest cause for last season's debacle...surely you aren't going to play that "we have to replace a guy who left early" card in this instance. No one of any significance left the senior or sophomore class early to my knowledge. I could buy the argument if that was the case.

As for 'Buike...he was good, but far from irreplacable. Besides that, he often dissappeared when we needed him most. A guy like that shouldn't send an elite program into a tailspin...if they recruited the way they were supposed to.

North Carolina lost virtually it's whole team from 2 years ago and they bounced back pretty solid. Why can't Tubby and UK do that more consistently?

I was counting Rondo as part of the junior class, but it's good even without him. Besides, he was singled out as the biggest cause for last season's debacle...surely you aren't going to play that "we have to replace a guy who left early" card in this instance. No one of any significance left the senior or sophomore class early to my knowledge. I could buy the argument if that was the case.

As for 'Buike...he was good, but far from irreplaceable. Besides that, he often disappeared when we needed him most. A guy like that shouldn't send an elite program into a tailspin...if they recruited the way they were supposed to.

North Carolina lost virtually it's whole team from 2 years ago and they bounced back pretty solid. Why can't Tubby and UK do that more consistently?

No, no, no....my point on the replacing player is, Rondo for example was signed and obviously, other PG candidates who were high caliber are going to go elsewhere, since they wouldn't want to sit on the bench. Then a coach, will look at his board and move down to the next available player, that may play or fit into their system.

'Buke, would have certainly helped the program and his leadership, instead of trying to replace with a less than comparable player.

I don't agree on the tailspin assessment of the UK program.

No, no, no....my point on the replacing player is, Rondo for example was signed and obviously, other PG candidates who were high caliber are going to go elsewhere, since they wouldn't want to sit on the bench. Then a coach, will look at his board and move down to the next available player, that may play or fit into their system.

'Buke, would have certainly helped the program and his leadership, instead of trying to replace with a less than comparable player.

I don't agree on the tailspin assessment of the UK program.

I didn't mean UK was in a tailspin...I was just over-emphasizing the way people act about us losing a player like Azabuike.

I understand your first point, but it doesn't really apply to Tubby. We had Bradley waiting behind Rondo, and then we landed Jasper. Tubby seems to be pretty good at loading up on guards, it's the inside guys he can't get.

And again, elite programs like Duke and UNC seem to roll in top notch classes year after year. Why doesn't this excuse apply to them?

Anyway, how did I end up in this discussion after I posted something that was somewhat in Tubby's defense?

I didn't mean UK was in a tailspin...I was just over-emphasizing the way people act about us losing a player like Azabuike.

I understand your first point, but it doesn't really apply to Tubby. We had Bradley waiting behind Rondo, and then we landed Jasper. Tubby seems to be pretty good at loading up on guards, it's the inside guys he can't get.

And again, elite programs like Duke and UNC seem to roll in top notch classes year after year. Why doesn't this excuse apply to them?

Anyway, how did I end up in this discussion after I posted something that was somewhat in Tubby's defense?

.....:lol: I don't know, we just enjoy talking sports, college basketball and UK.

To clarify, I'm not eluding 'Buke was an All-American, just he would have been much more helpful as a Senior, than a new player or incoming Freshman would be....simply that.

I agree on guards, seem to do well but I don't think, Bradley is at the same level or ability playing the point, that Rondo could bring or could be this year.

I would say the same for Duke this year, I watched part of a couple of their games and I thought the talent level was not consistent. UNC does an excellent job of recruiting and Roy Williams, must be given more credit for not only being a top head coach, but excellent recruiter. One of the best, in my book.

Besides, you just like my endless wisdom and knowledge....:D

Didn't Hanson get lazy in locking up Hansbrough and UNC came in late in got him? Or is this an urban legend?

I don't know about Hansbourgh, but I heard that's what happened with Brandon Wright. Hanson makes contact, etc, but is lazy about following up and keeping in contact. He lost Wright at the last moment, contrary to what is being reported lately. it was UK and UNC, and UNC won.

Hanson takes too much for granted. The KENTUCKY name is not enough to get the name on paper anymore.

.....:lol: I don't know, we just enjoy talking sports, college basketball and UK.

To clarify, I'm not eluding 'Buke was an All-American, just he would have been much more helpful as a Senior, than a new player or incoming Freshman would be....simply that.

I agree on guards, seem to do well but I don't think, Bradley is at the same level or ability playing the point, that Rondo could bring or could be this year.

I would say the same for Duke this year, I watched part of a couple of their games and I thought the talent level was not consistent. UNC does an excellent job of recruiting and Roy Williams, must be given more credit for not only being a top head coach, but excellent recruiter. One of the best, in my book.

Besides, you just like my endless wisdom and knowledge....:D

That I do.

I can't agree that having Rondo back would be a plus. I'm not questioning his talent, but it's pretty obvious things between he and Tubby weren't that good. They're better off without him.

Duke is down a bit from their normal lofty status, but how often does this happen for them. It's quite rare. Plus, down for them is what...being rated outside of the top 10 in the first month of the season. There is no comparison between UK's recruiting and Duke's recruiting. And there is no comparison with UK's recruiting and UNC's under Roy Williams.