How Unique is Your School's Nickname?

gchs_uk9

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I love Shamrocks, there are some other Trinity high schools out there that are also Shamrocks. I think one up in PA.

Honestly, if you're a American Catholic school named "Trinity" in an area with even a hint of Irish heritage and you're something OTHER than "Shamrocks"... what are you even doing?

Honestly, if you're a American Catholic school named "Trinity" in an area with even a hint of Irish heritage and you're something OTHER than "Shamrocks"... what are you even doing?

I have come across schools that are the "Trinity Tigers" and I darn near threw up when I saw it.

The other Shamrocks I came across are in Camp Hill, PA, it's a coed school which is weird to me but I suppose is more common.They do have our colors too, which is nice.

Raceland's mascot (Rams) was originally the "Ramblers" due to the fact the school did not have a home football field or basketball court, so all their games were played on the road - Rambling. Years later, the school built a gymnasium and football stadium, the name was then shortened to the "Rams".

Was an explanation for the name change ever given? There's nothing wrong with Rams but I like Ramblers way more. It's like an echo from a long lost era.

I always heard that was the case for the Bracken Polar Bears also, but it seems like that name would come up in Alaska and other cold-weather states some.

I love the story about how Somerset became the Briar Jumpers. Love that rabbit mascot.

Your notion is correct. There are a handful ofother high schools with Polar Bears as a mascot.

Well Apollo may be one of 17 schools with the Eagle mascot in the state, but I'd bet their the only one that was named so because of the lunar module instead of the bird. The school opened in 1969 and took it name from the Apollo 11 moon landed that occurred that same year with the lunar module named the Eagle.

Of course you'd have to infer that as their current logos all feature a bird. But I guess it was easier, since that way they could steal a logo from a beer company instead of coming up with something original.

AHS.jpg

Well Apollo may be one of 17 schools with the Eagle mascot in the state, but I'd bet their the only one that was named so because of the lunar module instead of the bird. The school opened in 1969 and took it name from the Apollo 11 moon landed that occurred that same year with the lunar module named the Eagle.

Of course you'd have to infer that as their current logos all feature a bird. But I guess it was easier, since that way they could steal a logo from a beer company instead of coming up with something original.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68823[/ATTACH]

If they don't have permission from AB to use that logo, they better reach out and ask.

If they don't have permission from AB to use that logo, they better reach out and ask.

Something tells me that they have permission to use it. Just like Cooper has permission to use the old Jacksonville Jaguars logo, Floyd Central has permission to use the Jacksonville Jaguars current logo, Greenup County has permission to use the Green Bay logo, Cov Cath used to have permission to use the Ole' Miss Colonel Reb logo, Beechwood has permission to use the Clemson Tiger Paw logo.....

Was an explanation for the name change ever given? There's nothing wrong with Rams but I like Ramblers way more. It's like an echo from a long lost era.

No explanation that I'm aware of. The basketball team in the late 80's rekindled the "Ramblers" and had it on their uniforms.