How Unique is Your School's Nickname?

gchs_uk9

When we moved to Madisonville, I didn't think much about its nickname...especially when I found there was another "Maroons" (Pulaski County) on the other side of the state.

I did know that the University of Chicago (an original member of the Big Ten) was the Maroons and Mississippi State had been as well.

At a game in Clarksville, TN one night, their play-by-play guy asked, "What is a Maroon anyway." So I'll let Merriam-Webster take it from there.

Maroon | Definition of Maroon by Merriam-Webster

Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's most-trusted online dictionary › dictionary › maroon

Maroon definition is - a fugitive black slave of the West Indies and Guiana in the 17th and 18th centuries; also : a descendant of such a slave.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LCA played a team from Vincennes, IN that I though had an unique nickname

The Vincennes Lincoln Alices

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68831[/ATTACH]

One of the best programs in the country with an unique mascot is Lakeland (FL)

The Dreadnaughts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68832[/ATTACH]

Totally down with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought there was more to the story of the Danville Ads getting their name...but apparently it was just a student vote, and somebody thought blue and white "seem to represent the navy", so they suggested "Admirals"...for a school in a city that doesn't have so much as a river within its city limits.

Welp.....that wouldn't have made for much of a Paul Harvey segment. :lol2:

EEM-D9JXoAcsQeh.jpg

You would think that in today's world, "Indians" would not be a common nickname. However, this Friday night, "incorrectness" runs rampant! The Covington Holy Cross Indians will play the Cincinnati Country Day (OH) Indians in varsity football.

DeSales Colts...West Jess too....but how many schools have Brown as a School color??

Not many, maybe none at all. Millard High School in Pike County was the Mustangs and wore brown and yellow but they closed in 2002 and merged with Elkhorn City and Feds Creek to make East Ridge High School.

Well Apollo may be one of 17 schools with the Eagle mascot in the state, but I'd bet their the only one that was named so because of the lunar module instead of the bird. The school opened in 1969 and took it name from the Apollo 11 moon landed that occurred that same year with the lunar module named the Eagle.

Of course you'd have to infer that as their current logos all feature a bird. But I guess it was easier, since that way they could steal a logo from a beer company instead of coming up with something original.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68823[/ATTACH]

Look up top and below the talons of each- Apollo removed the star (top) and added another arrow in the grips of the Eagle talons. Maybe also the feather patterns in the wings?

You can modify originals and it become legal.

The number of modifications? I have no idea. I just know that to be true.

• 6 months later...