Best Food in Florence, KY

SnottieDrippen

Just about anything and everything. Training is off of Taylor's Boulevard right by Churchill Downs. Hotel is about 20 minutes away off Hurstborne Parkway.

Out near your hotel on Hurstbourne there's a GREAT barbecue/smoked wings spot called Momma's Mustard, Pickles & BBQ. There's another really great barbecue spot one Frankfort Avenue called the Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot. If you go to FABD, their smokehouse wings are definitely not to be missed.

Another couple of places on Frankfort Avenue (there are a LOT of restaurants there), are the Irish Rover, which is obviously Irish/UK cuisine. They have the best fish & chips in the city. And there's also El Mundo, not too far from Irish Rover. It's kind of a nouveau-Mexican restaurant. I like it a LOT.

One of my favorite taco spots is El Taco Luchador. There are are a few locations for that...one in St. Matthews a block or so from Trinity High School, the original location on Bardstown Road, and another one downtown.

Pizza, I think my favorites are either Impellizzeri's (their Sicilian deep dish is AMAZING, even with the 45 minute wait for it to bake in the oven), and The Post, which is New York style pizza. There are multiple locations of Impellizzeri's, including one not too far from your hotel on Blankenbaker Parkway, and then The Post is located in Germantown.

Burgers, you can try Game (all the burgers are made from game meats like elk, kangaroo, wild boar, or bison)...that's been popular with everyone I've taken there. Stout on Bardstown Road is another great burger spot. And then Sidebar is a great burger spot right by the KFC Yum Center downtown.

You might check in on some of those recommendations only because there are some restaurants in Louisville that are closed one day a week on Monday nights.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out near your hotel on Hurstbourne there's a GREAT barbecue/smoked wings spot called Momma's Mustard, Pickles & BBQ. There's another really great barbecue spot one Frankfort Avenue called the Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot. If you go to FABD, their smokehouse wings are definitely not to be missed.

Another couple of places on Frankfort Avenue (there are a LOT of restaurants there), are the Irish Rover, which is obviously Irish/UK cuisine. They have the best fish & chips in the city. And there's also El Mundo, not too far from Irish Rover. It's kind of a nouveau-Mexican restaurant. I like it a LOT.

One of my favorite taco spots is El Taco Luchador. There are are a few locations for that...one in St. Matthews a block or so from Trinity High School, the original location on Bardstown Road, and another one downtown.

Pizza, I think my favorites are either Impellizzeri's (their Sicilian deep dish is AMAZING, even with the 45 minute wait for it to bake in the oven), and The Post, which is New York style pizza. There are multiple locations of Impellizzeri's, including one not too far from your hotel on Blankenbaker Parkway, and then The Post is located in Germantown.

Burgers, you can try Game (all the burgers are made from game meats like elk, kangaroo, wild boar, or bison)...that's been popular with everyone I've taken there. Stout on Bardstown Road is another great burger spot. And then Sidebar is a great burger spot right by the KFC Yum Center downtown.

You might check in on some of those recommendations only because there are some restaurants in Louisville that are closed one day a week on Monday nights.

All of this. My only addition would be Mussel and Burger Bar.

Dang, thank you sir. Now I have a tough decision to make because I'm getting hungry just reading through all of those choices.

Any suggestions on what to get? I think that's where I'm about to go eat.

Sorry I missed this!

My go-to is the Argentinian. Best burger in the city IMO. But I've also had the chorizo burger and the BBB. What did you end up going with?

Sorry I missed this!

My go-to is the Argentinian. Best burger in the city IMO. But I've also had the chorizo burger and the BBB. What did you end up going with?

I ended up bailing because I couldn't decide when looking at their menu online. Will probably grab an Argentinan tomorrow because I was eyeballing it the most on there online menu.

Back to Florence, has anyone . . . ANYONE . . . ever eaten at the Korean Barbecue place? Kiwha I think the sign says. I've never been there, just drive by it often and I've never seen more than two cars in the place. For years!! Asking for a friend.

Back to Florence, has anyone . . . ANYONE . . . ever eaten at the Korean Barbecue place? Kiwha I think the sign says. I've never been there, just drive by it often and I've never seen more than two cars in the place. For years!! Asking for a friend.

My wife and I tried to go there years ago, and happened to go on a day they were closed. Haven't tried since. I think ownership has changed since then, but you are right...the parking lot is always empty. I'm not even sure the place is actually open.

Haha, I dated a girl yeeeeears ago who's mother ate their once. True story, haha. She's the one and only person I've ever met who has been there.

I'm convinced it's a Korean mafia front, haha. It's been there for decades at this point, and I never even see cars in the parking lot.

Mexican - I've heard a lot of good things about La Torta Loca recently. I'm looking forward to giving that place a try soon.

Pizza - I had Poseidon's this weekend. Very good Chicago style pizza. I like it better than all the chain pizza places in Florence.

BBQ - Smokin This And That has great pulled pork. I was not a fan of their ribs though.

La Torta Loca is fantastic. The tortas are massive and the couple I’ve tried have been excellent.

BBQ - Smokin This And That has great pulled pork. I was not a fan of their ribs though.

Their sides are subpar too.

Hit up Sugarfire (I know, it is in Union) and I won't be back. Too many things bugged me about that place to even list them all, but suffice it to say, I have a hankering for BBQ I'm heading back to City BBQ at the intersection of 18 and Mall Road.

Want a "hole in the wall", try Kabobske's on Mall Road -- their steak skewers are fantastic, the food is fresh, and the service is great. We eat there often.

I still like Rafferty's and Quaker Steak and Lube, both still get some of my money on occasion. O'Charley's has taken a sharp turn for the worse over the last few years.

Longhorn has quality steaks and really good sides.

Hit up Sugarfire (I know, it is in Union) and I won't be back. Too many things bugged me about that place to even list them all, but suffice it to say, I have a hankering for BBQ I'm heading back to City BBQ at the intersection of 18 and Mall Road.

Want a "hole in the wall", try Kabobske's on Mall Road -- their steak skewers are fantastic, the food is fresh, and the service is great. We eat there often.

I'm curious about Sugarfire. I was wanting to give that place a try.

Kabobske's is one that I've been wanting to try. However, being on Mall Road, I try to avoid that area.