Is Zion Williamson done for the season? Done with college hoops?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

What do you think?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• If his knee allows it, he'll be back this season.
    • Even if his knee allows, he's going to sit out the rest of the season.
    • He's done with college ball. On to the NBA draft.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I saw his insurance policy protects him if he drops below the #16 pick, in which case he gets $8MM. Short of a career-ending or horrible injury (eg. torn achilles), that ain't happening.

Edited by bugatti

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to Duke and playing like he has this year has made him a lot of money. He went from being a high school superstar to an absolute national phenom.

If he plays from here out, it's for the love of the game and his teammates. I think he will, but I won't criticize him either way.

I can't wait for him to turn pro so I can finally root for him! :lol2:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I saw his insurance policy protects him if he drops below the #16 pick, in which case he gets $8MM. Short of a career-ending or horrible injury (eg. torn achilles), that ain't happening.

That's whst I understood it to be also...yeah he could just about any injury and he won't drop out of the top 3...probably would be #1 regardless of his injury.

Edited by bugatti

Zero reason to play.

He is going to be the top pick or at worst a top 3 pick even if he breaks his leg and can't play his rookie season. So there really is not much reason not to play, because financially it's not going to hurt him at all even if he gets hurt.

For the people say not to play. If he is fully healthy in 2 weeks. What do you think he is going to be doing, even if he chooses not to finish the season with Duke. Chances are he is going to be playing pick up games, and other games still. If you talk to these top players, even NBA players. What they are doing even when they are not playing games, is usually playing basketball still. It's just not on tv for the world to see. So either way if he is fully healthy in 2 weeks, chances are he is going to be playing ball one way or another once fully healthy. So might as well try to win a National Championship. He is not at risk to really lose anything financially even if he gets hurt again. Top 3 pick, all the endorsements in the world still even if he does get hurt again.

There is a great chance he can tear his ACL and he still would be the number one pick. Then if by off chance he is not the first pick, he doesn't fall any further than 3. Plus he is still going to get all kinds of endorsement deals, etc. So no there really isn't much financial risk. In sports like football, yes its smart to shut it down. In basketball, it is very rare to have any type of career ending injury.

I was responding to a post that said "playing adds to his value". I was showing it clearly does not. You are saying "there really isn't much financial risk". That is FAR different...

There is no possible way shutting it down now hurts his value...while there is risk, maybe not a huge risk, but some risk in continuing to play.

He is going to be the top pick or at worst a top 3 pick even if he breaks his leg and can't play his rookie season. So there really is not much reason not to play, because financially it's not going to hurt him at all even if he gets hurt.

For the people say not to play. If he is fully healthy in 2 weeks. What do you think he is going to be doing, even if he chooses not to finish the season with Duke. Chances are he is going to be playing pick up games, and other games still. If you talk to these top players, even NBA players. What they are doing even when they are not playing games, is usually playing basketball still. It's just not on tv for the world to see. So either way if he is fully healthy in 2 weeks, chances are he is going to be playing ball one way or another once fully healthy. So might as well try to win a National Championship. He is not at risk to really lose anything financially even if he gets hurt again. Top 3 pick, all the endorsements in the world still even if he does get hurt again.

His long term value is 250+ million, the only thing that can stop that is injury. Playing for free, with the 8 million dollar insurance clause, is risking a few hundred million. That’s crazy.

His long term value is 250+ million, the only thing that can stop that is injury. Playing for free, with the 8 million dollar insurance clause, is risking a few hundred million. That’s crazy.

How often if really ever do career ending injuries happen anymore in basketball? Much better chance of him getting a career ending injury while driving his car, than on the court. He could tear his ACL, break his leg, etc. And he still probably is going to be the top pick or at least top 3. He is still going to get huge endorsement deals. There really isnt any financial risk. Plus as stated if he is 100% in 2 weeks. Either way he is going to be playing basketball. Either on his own in pick up games not on tv, or can do it playing for a title. Unlike in football. His value or stock isnt going to drop at all with an injury like we see happen in the NFL draft.

How often if really ever do career ending injuries happen anymore in basketball? Much better chance of him getting a career ending injury while driving his car, than on the court. He could tear his ACL, break his leg, etc. And he still probably is going to be the top pick or at least top 3. He is still going to get huge endorsement deals. There really isnt any financial risk. Plus as stated if he is 100% in 2 weeks. Either way he is going to be playing basketball. Either on his own in pick up games not on tv, or can do it playing for a title. Unlike in football. His value or stock isnt going to drop at all with an injury like we see happen in the NFL draft.

He has the next 15 years to play basketball, for about 20 mill a year average is if not more. Playing for free, with essentially nothing to gain is crazy and a terrible business decision. You’re assuming he doesn’t sustain a major injury, or if he does sustain an injury he 100% heels without issue, physically, or mentally. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing right now. There is no debate about that. If anything, he’s more likely to get injured with his freak athleticism, how many times have you seen a kid rupture a $200 shoe, or any shoe?

He has the next 15 years to play basketball, for about 20 mill a year average is if not more. Playing for free, with essentially nothing to gain is crazy and a terrible business decision. You’re assuming he doesn’t sustain a major injury, or if he does sustain an injury he 100% heels without issue, physically, or mentally. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing right now. There is no debate about that. If anything, he’s more likely to get injured with his freak athleticism, how many times have you seen a kid rupture a $200 shoe, or any shoe?

In today's world, especially basketball. You dont really see career ending injuries anymore. Plus as I keep saying basketball is unlike football or baseball. Even if he chose to not play college anymore. Guess what he is going to do as soon as he is fully cleared? That's why play basketball in pick up games. Practice, etc. So either way once he is 100 percent healthy he is going to playing basketball again right away once healthy. That's what people who play basketball do. They are always playing. Which just as much chance to get hurt. So if he is going to play either way, might as well do it while trying to win a title. Something he could always look back on. Because he is going to get paid come July no matter what happens.

• 2 weeks later...