Championship Rings!

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out when all this having a ring stuff started. When Leatherneck won a state championship with Highlands in 1975 all he got was a little "gold" (and I question that it has any gold in it at all) football charm. I think the first time Highlands players got rings , and this is just a guess, is when Duffy was at Highlands.

At Highlands the parents pay for the rings and there are usually a few choices in price to choose from.

1970 What?????? Come on!!! j/k

Here is something no one can logically argue with, our tax dollars should take care of this but like everything else that won't happen so at our school a few caring folks worked very hard this past fall they went to local business's, people in the community and parents to manage to come up with the cash .Everyone received a ring 80 plus players & coaches .What a way for the community to say we support you . But a big thanks to the very few who worked very hard for our boys. Russell Dad.

I can't believe any school would pay for championship rings. I'd be willing to bet they don't. At Trinity parents pay for their son's ring (or rings in some cases). If public schools are using tax dollars to buy jewelry, I'd say that someone should have to explain why.

I haven't read any post that said anything about tax dollars paying for a ring at the public schools. I have read that the boosters/private donations or parents pay for the rings.

Someone always trying to get the private/public thing going.

This thread seems to almost belong on the politics board.

I certainly hope that the community of a state title team would care enough about the young men who win a title, to ensure that EVERY player gets a ring!

I agree there is no need to ask the KHSAA to buy these rings. The FANS IMO owe at least to see that these kids get a ring.

I haven't read any post that said anything about tax dollars paying for a ring at the public schools. I have read that the boosters/private donations or parents pay for the rings.

Someone always trying to get the private/public thing going.

Check out posts #8 and #18. When some suggests that the "school" should take care of the rings, what do you think that means. I really don't think any schools buy rings, nor should they. In addition, the orininal post suggested that the KHSAA pay for the rings. Where does the KHSAA get its money? From dues paid by schools most of which are public. That get the money where? from me and you in the form of taxes.

I can't believe any school would pay for championship rings. I'd be willing to bet they don't. At Trinity parents pay for their son's ring (or rings in some cases). If public schools are using tax dollars to buy jewelry, I'd say that someone should have to explain why.

Our program has brought in over $40,000 at the gate this year. I think the school can spend some of that money on rings if we are fortunate enough to get there. I don't think that would qualify as tax money.

We were lucky enough to have the individual Class A female cross country state champion last year (she finished 3rd this year). Our school did pay for her ring - from athletic event gate money. Any team/individual that wins a state championship brings distinction to their school. Each school should be responsible for their rings to some degree, at least.

Any time a kid is a part of a state championship team, they should get a ring. The trophy is nice, but you can't carry it with you everywhere. To me a state championship and a big ring go hand in hand. A championship ring to a man is what an engagement ring is to a woman... On a different note, does anyone know of a team that has been in the finals and not won and ordered rings for being in the finals. The reason I ask is that some colleges who make the final four and don't win the championship, order rings for getting to the final four. Just curious......

Our program has brought in over $40,000 at the gate this year. I think the school can spend some of that money on rings if we are fortunate enough to get there. I don't think that would qualify as tax money.

Is that profit? Even if it is, it would be wiser to put it back into the athletic department. Do all sports get your so-called free rings or just the revenue producing sports? If so, how do you square that with title IX?