Championship Rings!

I just think that it should be in the hands of the KHSAA! We play by there rules and regulatations! Do they get money from ticket sales?

I'm still waiting for the photo that the KHSAA took of the officiating crew that worked the 2002 finals. Check my mailbox every day for it.

I'm gonna say that you'd get your ring a whole lot faster if you bought it yourself.

offside

I hear that the players have to buy there own rings if there team wins the state Title! I would think that the KHSAA would be responsible for the Rings!Does anyone know if this is true?

The schools/teams are officially responsible for cost of state championship rings. The KHSAA is not liable to pay for any part of them. It is an extra "bonus".

Usually, one of a few sources will pay for the rings:

*School/booster clubs pay for the base "metal" ring--and the player/parents pay for any gold/metal upgrade.

*School/booster club will not pay for any of it.

*Parents/kids pay for entire cost of ring (regardless of the type of metal they choose).

*Some schools will rely on their booster club to foot the bill

*Some schools solicit sponsors to foot the bill.

*Some companies with ties to the school donate large sums of money to pay for the rings.

It basically depends on where you are . . . . . . . at that point, our school had bought/paid for so many rings (in a fairly short period of time) that it was almost unrealistic for the school to pay for more than what they did.

The KHSAA isn't (and shouldn't be) responsible for the cost of rings. You are talking thousands of dollars . . . . . (and possibly a lot more than that).

My first ring didn't cost a thing--because I went with the metal that the school agreed to pay for--the price tag was 99.95. My last ring cost $582.60. The school didn't have the funds to pay for any of that.

Keep in mind--basketball and football are the only sports that actually produce revenue for the KHSAA. Therefore, the football/basketball finals money usually pays for the cost of other non-revenue producing sports.

The KHSAA doesn't have the money to pay for it. Let's just use a $200 midline price.

$200 x 60 kids per team x 4 classes = $48,000

They provide a team trophy which is really what the team is striving to attain. The rings are a bonus. Granted a nice bonus but not a requirement of the KHSAA. Do you think the NCAA pays for the National Championship Rings at the college level? Nope. They provide the trophy and the schools provide the rings.

I would hope that all players would get a ring that are on a championship team! With All of the hard work that these kids put into winning,it would be a shame not to have a ring because of Money!
Welcome to the real world.

I don't get the logic of saying the KHSAA would be responsible? In no sense would that make sense.

NCC's parents last year helped foot the bill for the rings. The boosters helped, it is in their bylaws to give a certain amount towards any State Championship winning team or person to get a ring/jacket, whatever they want.

KHSAA gives the kids those expensive medals! I have several rings, our boosters pay for the rings, a few times w/private donations. In the past, they give the kids the option to pay the difference in the inexpensive ring vs. gold. A lot of the kids talk their parents into buying the gold and opt not to get a class ring. Once they go to college they don't wear the class ring but will wear the state ring w/pride.

I can't believe any school would pay for championship rings. I'd be willing to bet they don't. At Trinity parents pay for their son's ring (or rings in some cases). If public schools are using tax dollars to buy jewelry, I'd say that someone should have to explain why.

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out when all this having a ring stuff started. When Leatherneck won a state championship with Highlands in 1975 all he got was a little "gold" (and I question that it has any gold in it at all) football charm. I think the first time Highlands players got rings , and this is just a guess, is when Duffy was at Highlands.

At Highlands the parents pay for the rings and there are usually a few choices in price to choose from.