I thought Marvin's strength was supposed to be on the defense???

The Bengals' defense is obviously not playing well.

Of course coaches should be fired.

My whole point is that NONE, absolutely NONE, of us is qualified to make that call and to claim that we know what the mismatches were or blown coverages were; those statements are utterly preposterous.

We don't know the hundreds of different formations with shifts and motions plus the responsibilities each player has according to the coverage, of which there are probably over 20, also the different responsibilities with different personnel with the same defensive call.

We can't even fathom how complex and detailed all that is.

That is my point; we aren't qualified!

Do you ever have fun? You know one of the things about being a fan is watching and getting to say what you think is going on. I mean of coarse we dont know EXACTLY all the little things on who is suppose to be where and whats that. But we do see whats going on, and we may not be exactly right, but Im sure we have also got parts of it right though. Because I know in the NFL there are alot more things that are going on, but it still comes down to basic football sometimes. So yeah when we say that we notice mismatches or if they were in man to man or something I bet you we are atleast partly right, because thats just basic football. I know there is more stuff to it, but we also some of the stuff right from what we see...

Besides all of that this is a sports thread where people state their opinions, and well hardly anyone is exactly right any of the time. So I just really dont get your point with arguing all this at all, because we all know there is also alot of different stuff we dont know about, but we also do know some of the stuff we see cause it all comes back to being just the basic rules of football...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever have fun? You know one of the things about being a fan is watching and getting to say what you think is going on. I mean of coarse we dont know EXACTLY all the little things on who is suppose to be where and whats that. But we do see whats going on, and we may not be exactly right, but Im sure we have also got parts of it right though. Because I know in the NFL there are alot more things that are going on, but it still comes down to basic football sometimes. So yeah when we say that we notice mismatches or if they were in man to man or something I bet you we are atleast partly right, because thats just basic football. I know there is more stuff to it, but we also some of the stuff right from what we see...

Besides all of that this is a sports thread where people state their opinions, and well hardly anyone is exactly right any of the time. So I just really dont get your point with arguing all this at all, because we all know there is also alot of different stuff we dont know about, but we also do know some of the stuff we see cause it all comes back to being just the basic rules of football...

I have great fun appreciating these superior athletes and what they are able to do.

As far as basic blocking and tackling, I agree we are able to assess that.

But as far as strategy, alingments, assignments, we really don't know how complex NFL football is.

Last week commentators were talking about an offensive coordinator's playbook being 700+ pages; I can't even imagine.

Another point, if the NFL was not so complex, more rookie QB's would have an impact; there would be no need for a Carson Palmer to sit out a year; or it take 3 years for Peyton Manning to quit throwing INT's and become the star he is, or take 3-4 years for Peyton Manning to figure out the NE defense. More rookies in general would have an impact, especially the 1st day guys; they are obviously gifted physically, but the mental part is what slows so many down and keeps some from ever becoming a great player.

So I completely disagree; we fans have very little right in our assessment of an NFL game and the performance of the players.

I have great fun appreciating these superior athletes and what they are able to do.

As far as basic blocking and tackling, I agree we are able to assess that.

But as far as strategy, alingments, assignments, we really don't know how complex NFL football is.

Last week commentators were talking about an offensive coordinator's playbook being 700+ pages; I can't even imagine.

Another point, if the NFL was not so complex, more rookie QB's would have an impact; there would be no need for a Carson Palmer to sit out a year; or it take 3 years for Peyton Manning to quit throwing INT's and become the star he is, or take 3-4 years for Peyton Manning to figure out the NE defense. More rookies in general would have an impact, especially the 1st day guys; they are obviously gifted physically, but the mental part is what slows so many down and keeps some from ever becoming a great player.

So I completely disagree; we fans have very little right in our assessment of an NFL game and the performance of the players.

And I disagree with you completely, you say stuff acting like none of us ever know that....I really honestly dont know why you are on BGP then, because I guess no one should state their opinion on anything since no one knows EXACTLY. I guess none of us ever should post on a high school football game, or even baseball game or any game for that matter, because we have no clue at all on what really is going on. So we might as well all just quit BGP, because we have VERY LITTLE RIGHT to state an assessment of what we see since we are actually not on the team and know what is going on...:rolleyes:

If you want to take what I am saying and take it to the other extreme, go ahead. And you can disagree all you want, but here are some truths:

High school football is a lot different than the NFL.

Baseball is a lot different than football.

There's a lot more to BGP than just criticsm of coaches.

Most fans don't know enough about high school football either; they have no idea how much work goes ino preparing a team for each game and into preparing a team to play a season.

Most people watch football on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, listen to the "so called" experts on radio and TV, and then think they know what high school, college, and professional coaches know.

In reality, they have no idea.

Behind a computer with no accountability, every one is an expert; I realize that is never going to change, but some people's eyes need to be opened.

If you want to take what I am saying and take it to the other extreme, go ahead. And you can disagree all you want, but here are some truths:

Most fans don't know enough about high school football either; they have no idea how much work goes ino preparing a team for each game and into preparing a team to play a season.

Most people watch football on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, listen to the "so called" experts on radio and TV, and then think they know what high school, college, and professional coaches know.

Behind a computer with no accountability, every one is an expert; I realize that is never going to change, but some people's eyes need to be opened.

Once again I really have no idea what point you are trying to get across with all of this. You are saying nothing that anybody doesn't know already. I really dont see why you keep trying to defend all this and be teams protector or something? From what you say, you act like no body should have opionion at all on what is going on, since we are actually not techincally involved with the teams. So then I guess you dont like any of the pregame or post game shows on football, because all them give their opinions on what they think sould happen, but since they really are not involved they have no right as you say to speak about a team...:rolleyes:

Once again I really have no idea what point you are trying to get across with all of this. You are saying nothing that anybody doesn't know already. I really dont see why you keep trying to defend all this and be teams protector or something? From what you say, you act like no body should have opionion at all on what is going on, since we are actually not techincally involved with the teams. So then I guess you dont like any of the pregame or post game shows on football, because all them give their opinions on what they think sould happen, but since they really are not involved they have no right as you say to speak about a team...:rolleyes:

They must pick all those guys they have from ESPN off the street because those "experts" don't know anything.:D

In reality 3 different High School coaches wanted me to coach at their school this year. I've never coached, but you're probably right in assuming I know nothing about the game and I've learned it from TV. Regardless of defensive coverages, a cover 2 is easy to spot on TV. A zone compared to a man is easy to spot on TV, and a blitzing DB is easy to spot on TV. It's also easy to watch Jackson and Williams play the deep routes when SD didn't throw any deep routes. This led to single coverage with anyone over the middle. That means that our 2 corners are covering man and our LB's are covering man and neither has help unless it's a deep ball. Also, when they ran zone cover 2 it's the same thing except LB's were being expected to cover recievers at times. In fact I saw Justin Smith cover a reciever one time on a zone blitz. Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson are not top 10 in the league in speed and I know what I'm talking about...........

Yesterday on one of the long past plays, Geathers was supposed to be covering one of the speedier players. Can't remember the player but remember thinking that can't happen.

It happens a lot on zone blitzes and it's fine if you can get to the QB quick. If not then DEs in coverage have no chance.