Working out 2019

newarkcatholicfan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
What/how are you eating? I'm considering doing keto again since I was successful the first time I did it, the problem is keto is just not sustainable, IMO.

Mrs C and I started keto 1/29/18. I have lost and maintain 65lbs from where I was. Mrs C has maintained 35lb weight loss. In the beginning we were religious, stick to it. Once we achieved our goals, we have a cheat day once a week.

I eat more food now then I did 10 years ago and am thinner, feel better, do not snore nearly as much.

In the beginning I did not think it was realistic to maintain, but a year later, we are still there. I am a gourmet cook, so that helps. We are not fanatics, we simply stay under 40 carbs a day. I would honestly say the only thing I really miss is craft beer. I still drink wine, lite beer, and bourbon. I have found ways to make breads and pastas that are good. Pizza once a week.

I am the heaviest I have ever been. I recently started going to Orange Theory Fitness a few weeks ago. It literally is the best and hardest workouts I have ever had, or maybe it's just because I am really out of shape and that's why its so hard lol. I definitely know I got a good workout in, because I am exhausted by the time the hour class is finished. I plan on doing that 3 or 4 times a week, and then mixing in two days of weight lifting at planet fitness 2 other days a week.

As mentioned the hardest part is the diet. Which I am going to attempt to start this weekend.

Since I made this post, I am now down 18 pounds. I go to orange theory fitness 4 times a week, which is a one hour class. Then planet fitness once a week for a more straight strength training workout. Eating wise I wouldn't say i have ate much healthier, but I an eating smaller portions, and not drinking any soft drinks. This is the lowest I been in 5 years. I am hoping to keep it going, because while it may be hard. Seeing the progress definitely helps keep the motivation to keep going.

Down 16 pounds the last 8 weeks. From 185 to 169 this morning. Much leaner have been able to retain much of my strength.

Workout last night:

Every 2 minutes, for 10 minutes (5 sets):

8 Deadlifts (225/155)

8 Toes-to-Bar

:30 Handstand Hold

Rest 3 minutes, and when the running clock reaches 13:00...

8 Bench Press (135/85)

8 Pull-Ups

8 Alternating Dumbbell Snatches (50/35)

Rest 3 minutes, and when the running clock reaches 26:00...

8 Kettlebell Swings (53/35)

1 Rope Climb

8/6 Calorie Bike

My back still isn't 100% and deadlifts really aggravate it so I scaled the DL weight to 165. Also scaled the bench weight to 115. I could have probably done the 135 but would have really slowed me down. I was looking to maintain higher intensity so the lighter weight allowed me to go unbroken every round push harder.

Down 16 pounds the last 8 weeks. From 185 to 169 this morning. Much leaner have been able to retain much of my strength.

Workout last night:

8 Deadlifts (225/155)

8 Toes-to-Bar

:30 Handstand Hold

Rest 3 minutes, and when the running clock reaches 13:00...

8 Bench Press (135/85)

8 Pull-Ups

8 Alternating Dumbbell Snatches (50/35)

Rest 3 minutes, and when the running clock reaches 26:00...

8 Kettlebell Swings (53/35)

1 Rope Climb

8/6 Calorie Bike

My back still isn't 100% and deadlifts really aggravate it so I scaled the DL weight to 165. Also scaled the bench weight to 115. I could have probably done the 135 but would have really slowed me down. I was looking to maintain higher intensity so the lighter weight allowed me to go unbroken every round push harder.

Are you doing the Open?

I was in Louisville and did the first workout as a drop in at CF Regeneration. I got 222, which I felt good about (I am lousy on the Erg).

I have to do week three as a drop in NYC. I hope it is something I am decent (I am not good at anything, so decent will do).

Are you doing the Open?

I was in Louisville and did the first workout as a drop in at CF Regeneration. I got 222, which I felt good about (I am lousy on the Erg).

I have to do week three as a drop in NYC. I hope it is something I am decent (I am not good at anything, so decent will do).

I didn't sign up but we are doing the WODs as our regular Friday WOD. I got 222 as well:lol2:. If I was in the open it would be one I'd probably redo. I'm pretty sure I could get into the 7th round.

We are doing a Biggest Loser at work and as of this morning I'm down 17 lbs. My first goal was to get to 220 lbs and this morning I was 219 lbs. My next goal was to get to 215 lbs, I have been below that since probably freshman year of college. Trying to get in better shape for the start of the FCC & Reds season. No reason carrying extra weight that I can't make money off of.

My focus is primarily a bunch of cardio on the Arc Trainer and eating better.

I don't guess I'll ever be in a condition to truly "work out" again.

That being said, I just got a new Fitbit. Here's my issue. It looks like the step counter is reasonably accurate; but the "mileage" appears to be artificially high. Is there a way to set the thing, for lack of a better term, for "shorter steps"?

Figured out how to adjust the stride length.

Yesterday was was a new benchmark. 20,000 steps and almost 9 miles. Today is equipment orientation at the Y.

• 2 weeks later...
@Oldbird , how is your open going? I had to scale the 2nd and 3rd workouts but the 4th will go down as one of my favorites. If i had signed up it would have been one i would have definitely redone. I paced the first part too much and just didn't leave myself enough time.

I am doing fine - for me.

19.2 Should have been a good one for me, but I took too long doing the 135 squat cleans and didn't make it back the 185 pound squat cleans. If I really cared about my score this is one I should have done again.

19.3 This was a horrible one for me. Heavy squats and lunges hurt my knees. I was hopeful to get a handful of strict handstand pushups, but I didn't quite get there. If I did this one again, it would be just as painful and I still doubt I would get a HSPU.

19.4 I can't do muscle ups so this turned into just a sprint to see how quickly I could do the burpees and power snatches. I finished in 5:37, which I was pleased with until the main guy I compete with at the gym finished in 4:30. On a plus note, my 51 year old wife got her first muscle up during 19.4. We were obviously very happy for her.

In general, I have done about as well as I could do except week 2. That one I should have done better, but I didn't care enough to do it again.

What will 19.5 be? Some version of Fran? Devil's press?

I am doing fine - for me.

19.2 Should have been a good one for me, but I took too long doing the 135 squat cleans and didn't make it back the 185 pound squat cleans. If I really cared about my score this is one I should have done again.

19.3 This was a horrible one for me. Heavy squats and lunges hurt my knees. I was hopeful to get a handful of strict handstand pushups, but I didn't quite get there. If I did this one again, it would be just as painful and I still doubt I would get a HSPU.

19.4 I can't do muscle ups so this turned into just a sprint to see how quickly I could do the burpees and power snatches. I finished in 5:37, which I was pleased with until the main guy I compete with at the gym finished in 4:30. On a plus note, my 51 year old wife got her first muscle up during 19.4. We were obviously very happy for her.

In general, I have done about as well as I could do except week 2. That one I should have done better, but I didn't care enough to do it again.

What will 19.5 be? Some version of Fran? Devil's press?

I would say it's almost certain to have thrusters but beyond that. The other movements we haven't seen are OHS, deadlifts, pull ups. I can't see anything with thrusters that would also include OHS and/or deadlifts but obviously could with pull ups. Definitely could be a harder version of Fran. Maybe heavier with C2B pull ups.

I would say it's almost certain to have thrusters but beyond that. The other movements we haven't seen are OHS, deadlifts, pull ups. I can't see anything with thrusters that would also include OHS and/or deadlifts but obviously could with pull ups. Definitely could be a harder version of Fran. Maybe heavier with C2B pull ups.

Heavy barbell Fran with C2B pull ups or maybe DB thrusters with C2B pull ups.

50 pound DB thrusters are horrible for me.