Class 5A Playoffs: Highlands at Anderson County

Who gets the W?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the W?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched some of Anderson County and I believe Highlands should beat them by 2-3 TDs. They start a lot of guys two ways, their linemen are big but they don’t seem to be fast enough or athletic enough to win against Highlands. They have a good back that has some speed, but I don’t think they’ve seen team defensive speed near Highlands’. I think they are similar to SK only a little worse, not better. Highlands better be ready though, they’re not going to give it away. I think they will be ready though, having lost in this round last year. It will be close first half, second half Highlands pulls away.

Highlands 41

Anderson County 24

This sounds like a bad matchup for Highlands. Teams with strong rushing attacks are the type of team that I would expect to give Highlands trouble. We won't know till they get on the field against each other how this will play out.

Its going to be a muddy field too. Even though it has rain literally every Friday this year. I think most of those rain games for Highlands has came on turf not grass. That could play a factor in this game too.

Grass in August, "other" this time of year with the weather we've all had.

Usually this time of year Anderson’s field is a mud pit in the middle with some grass on the sides. In August it had some spots with no grass in the middle then, by late September they mixed sand in to help with the mud. With rain most of the week field will probably be sloppy.

In sloppy conditions, fast athletic guys slow down. But in sloppy conditions, bigger less athletic guys get REALLY slow. Bad conditions are a big advantage for HHS from a team speed standpoint. No doubt AC has some burners, but overall team speed is nowhere near HHS. Especially on the lines. Those big boys will be huffing and puffing at the end of this one.

In sloppy conditions, fast athletic guys slow down. But in sloppy conditions, bigger less athletic guys get REALLY slow. Bad conditions are a big advantage for HHS from a team speed standpoint. No doubt AC has some burners, but overall team speed is nowhere near HHS. Especially on the lines. Those big boys will be huffing and puffing at the end of this one.

One team has been playing in that slop every Friday night and use to it. While the other team is use to playing on perfectly solid footing on field turf. A few days of practice on grass, still doesn't get you as prepared for that muddy surface as playing on it all season does.

Muddy conditions I believe will benefit AC slightly. The critical issue in my opinion is guys going both ways 4 quarters against Highlands team speed. AC better have a comfortable lead going into the 4th quarter to win.

I remember a few years ago, maybe even 10 years ago, Beechwood played Bellevue when they had Ricky Buckler at running back and a big offensive line. Bellevue field was a mud pit in the regular-season matchup. Beechwood led by a touchdown until a long late 4th quarter run by quarterback Rigdon sealed the win for Beechwood.

About three weeks later the same teams met in the playoffs on the turf at Beechwood and it was no contest. Beechwood won by three or four touchdowns.

I think the team with the most speed is hurt the most by a muddy field. That Highlands defense is all about speed so a muddy field should definitely be a concern for the Bluebirds.

One team has been playing in that slop every Friday night and use to it. While the other team is use to playing on perfectly solid footing on field turf. A few days of practice on grass, still doesn't get you as prepared for that muddy surface as playing on it all season does.

Anderson Co has only had 6 games at home and only two at home since Sept. My guess is not all of them were in the cold mud. I get what you're saying but every Friday in the slop would be a stretch. The conditions are going to cause problems for everyone in my opinion.