Class 5A Playoffs: Highlands at Anderson County

Who gets the W?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the W?

I remember a few years ago, maybe even 10 years ago, Beechwood played Bellevue when they had Ricky Buckler at running back and a big offensive line. Bellevue field was a mud pit in the regular-season matchup. Beechwood led by a touchdown until a long late 4th quarter run by quarterback Rigdon sealed the win for Beechwood.

About three weeks later the same teams met in the playoffs on the turf at Beechwood and it was no contest. Beechwood won by three or four touchdowns.

I think the team with the most speed is hurt the most by a muddy field. That Highlands defense is all about speed so a muddy field should definitely be a concern for the Bluebirds.

Were either Beechwood or Bellevue platooning? This is the time of the year when platooning becomes really effective. I’ve watched years of Highlands running the legs off two way guys in the playoffs. They won’t be able to run all game with the Highlands WRs.

Mud slows each teams equally. I would be behind this theory if AC was a power run team but their running backs are speed oriented. As long as Highlands stays at home and contains their D should be fine. Just dare them to pass and fly to the ball and do your job... Oh yeah and Huddy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta love all the theories, and rhetoric heading into the play-off season. Simply put, everybody is sore, bruised, and a bit leg heavy. That said, it becomes a mental game. Which team can mentally control the weather conditions, and execute their game plan on offensive side of the ball. Normally, defenses will continue to do what got them there, scheme wise. It would be great if one (1) player could dictate the outcome of a game. However, that's not what's practiced, or preached by any Coaching staff, at this stage of the season. Team, Team, Team. Good luck Birds, play your game.

Boy if Anderson county wins there’s sure going to be a lot of Crow to eat.��

I don't think so. On paper...

Anderson is 10-0.

Bye week to get healthy.

They got 2 Weeks to scheme

Playing at home.

Horrible field conditions.

AC is supposed to win right? This is the perfect storm they needed.

The problem is they still have to play us ;) I would be shocked if it's a blowout but I do expect the Birds to outlast them through 4 qtrs.

Anderson County is going to end Highlands season tonight. The Bearcats are tough at home, and although I’m not an expert on The Birds, I just feel like it’s one of those special seasons for AC. I’ve got no personal investment, but they are a local team to me, so I guess it’s a bit of a homer pick!

Were either Beechwood or Bellevue platooning? This is the time of the year when platooning becomes really effective. I’ve watched years of Highlands running the legs off two way guys in the playoffs. They won’t be able to run all game with the Highlands WRs.

Mud slows each teams equally. I would be behind this theory if AC was a power run team but their running backs are speed oriented. As long as Highlands stays at home and contains their D should be fine. Just dare them to pass and fly to the ball and do your job... Oh yeah and Huddy.

Here is the thing with all of that. It seems like many are down playing the field conditions. Some Highlands fans have now even said it is an advantage for them not Anderson County. Which may be true, we will find out tonight.

However I can almost guarntee if Anderson County pulls off what people say is an upset. That there will be plenty of people saying well obviously the field conditions helped Anderson County. So it's all good and great for people to down play it before the game starts. However I bet it is a different tune on here about the field conditions playing a factor if Anderson County would win. Can almost guanrtee there will be some saying well if it on turf then Highlands definitely wins.

If they lose they lose, you can’t blame the weather that is part of football.

This game kind of reminds me of the regular season run of “Highlands will lose” comments before the game. Highlands wins and then “That team is not a good team, that win is garbage” comments after the game. We will see.

How bad can the field actually be? Muddy is one thing but people are making this out to be a huge deal. “Playing in a pigsty tonight, try not to trip over the littleins”. It’s football. You play in the mud you play in the rain. At least you may be able to plant and try and cut on a wet grass field. Try that at full speed on a turf field that has just a little rain and not a down pour and hold on.

If they lose they lose, you can’t blame the weather that is part of football.

This game kind of reminds me of the regular season run of “Highlands will lose” comments before the game. Highlands wins and then “That team is not a good team, that win is garbage” comments after the game. We will see.

Regardless of the outcome, no one should say Anderson County is not a good team after the game. They are 10-0 against a solid schedule beating opponents by an average of 29 points per game. They've won every game by 21 points or more except one. Anyone who says Anderson County is not a good team is trolling or clueless.

I understand the HHS Broadcasting team is not going as no room in AC press box. Anyone know if AC has at least a radio feed? Thanks!

Lame!