Class 5A Playoffs: Highlands at Anderson County

Who gets the W?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the W?

Early 3rd quarter. Score was 40-0 and MadSouth scored on the JV. Game was very similar to the game between Highlands and MadSouth. It was 28-0 at half.

Article in the Richmond Register says the running clock didn't start until late in the 3rd quarter:

"With 1:29 left in the third quarter, the Bearcats capped their dominating offensive performance with a 8-yard touchdown run from Collins to force a running clock situation with 40-0 on the board."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article in the Richmond Register says the running clock didn't start until late in the 3rd quarter:

"With 1:29 left in the third quarter, the Bearcats capped their dominating offensive performance with a 8-yard touchdown run from Collins to force a running clock situation with 40-0 on the board."

That's right. Anderson missed the 2pt conversion to make it 36. Scored again to make it 40 as the article says.

Playing devil’s advocate here but be careful when comparing when a running clock happens. I have no clue on Anderson Co’s Coaches approach to it is. Some teams will prolong a running clock so they can do things like get backups more playing time or work on certain things in game environments. Some guys want a running clock up as fast as they can. Some defenses call off the dogs. Some don’t.

Honest question. How many HHS fans in this thread have watched Anderson or know what they run on O and D? A couple have mentioned seeing film. If you’ve watched film or watched them in person. I’m curious how you would describe the Anderson Co offense or defense

Watched a couple of their games with my son. They seem to use one main RB. I believe he was #33. A lot/most of their guys go both ways. I look for a close game in the 1st half and HHS pulling away at the end of the 3rd and 4th. Their big guys are REALLY big. I can't imagine them going both ways with the HHS pace. They haven't played many close games, so I'm not sure they have had to battle for 4 quarters this year. They are going to be exhausted by the 4th. The Anderson QB doesn't look to throw much and when he does, it's short/intermediate.

They are an option team with a number of unbalanced sets. That stuff can be a pain in the tail. They also use tight splits which tends to bunch up guys. They haven’t had to throw the ball a lot but it’s been mainly play action pass. The option part is the real tricky part of it. The way the change up their option requires you to have different option responsibilities depending on the option. They can run outside veer from the gun which is not common at all. It’s just a really different offense that doesn’t look that different to most people. The best passing team they’ve played this year I would have to guess is Franklin Co.

Watched the GRC game on YouTube. Two back set, a lot of counters to the short side of the field, like the option (qb and both backs can flat out run). They also did a fair amount of jet sweeps trying to spread the field. What little they did throw was trips to the wide side quick pass out in space. Sounded like they play a lot of guys both ways.

They jumped on GRC quick. They scored on an Counter out of unbalanced and then hit them with a screen out of unbalanced. All within the first 7 plays or so. If it wasn’t for a turnover early the game probably would of been 35 or so barely out of the first quarter or so

Grass or turf?

If grass, possibly sloppy with all the recent rain?

How many games has HHS played on grass this year? When you don't play or practice on it, you forget some of the keys to that environment.

Grass in August, "other" this time of year with the weather we've all had.