Josh Gordon Traded to the Patriots

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I had thought maybe going to a winner might have a positive impact on him. I mean, who wants to be clean/sober and go thru what the Browns have been recently. But in all seriousness, I thought maybe the Hoodie would be able to keep him in a structured environment and that success on the field would lead to success off the field. But, I guess the saying is true, a leopard can't change his spots.

Does this mean that the Patriots get a pick from the Browns?

Nope. NE took a chance and they are stuck. The original terms of the deal remain. The Browns get a 5th round pick in 2019 and they give to NE a 7th round pick and Gordon. No conditions were placed on the deal so the original terms stand. There was no clause that said if Gordon doesn't work out for NE, Cleveland has to give them something back as compensation.

In effect, the net results for both teams are: the Browns gain a 5th rounder and give up a 7th rounder; NE gains a 7th rounder and the services of Josh Gordon for 11 games. Both teams lose Gordon indefinitely.

Josh Gordon may have just seen his NFL career go up in smoke. And probably lost the biggest motivator for staying clean that he had (to play in the NFL), in spite of him saying he would do so for his daughter.

I have not read much about it beyond his announcement, but given his age and numerous chances he has been given, could this be a permanent banishment from the NFL?

I’d say it’s pretty likely he’s done. We have seen the Patriots take on a number of players like Gordon and after they are done with the Patriots I don’t remember any that made it back again. Not to mention he might not even be reinstated.

I’d say it’s pretty likely he’s done. We have seen the Patriots take on a number of players like Gordon and after they are done with the Patriots I don’t remember any that made it back again. Not to mention he might not even be reinstated.

Who all is on that list? Without looking it up the only one that comes to mind is Hernandez, and it was hard to come back and play anywhere from a jail cell.

This is more so what I am talking about. Put aside "is the team willing to take a chance on Gordon" talk, I am not sure a team will ever have that consideration.

Nope. NE took a chance and they are stuck. The original terms of the deal remain. The Browns get a 5th round pick in 2019 and they give to NE a 7th round pick and Gordon. No conditions were placed on the deal so the original terms stand. There was no clause that said if Gordon doesn't work out for NE, Cleveland has to give them something back as compensation.

I could have sworn they had exactly that type of clause in the agreement. If Gordon didn't play a certain percentage of games or something, the Patriots got something.

I could have sworn they had exactly that type of clause in the agreement. If Gordon didn't play a certain percentage of games or something, the Patriots got something.

If he was active less than 10 games they did not send the 5th rounder. He met that criteria and Cleveland will get the pick.