Josh Gordon Traded to the Patriots

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have sworn they had exactly that type of clause in the agreement. If Gordon didn't play a certain percentage of games or something, the Patriots got something.

There actually WAS a condition placed on the trade. If Gordon wasn't active for at least 10 games the Patriots got a pick back. He played in 11 games for them though, so they get nothing.

I stand corrected. I found this on ESPN.com, commenting on the trade Sept. 18:

In return, the Browns will get a 2019 fifth-round pick, while the Pats will get a 2019 seventh-round pick from the Browns if Gordon is not active for 10 games, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

My confusion came from reading this by Cleveland PD's Mary Kay Cabot:

They received a fifth-round pick from the Patriots in 2019 and must give back a seventh-rounder in 2019. The trade was not conditional on Gordon finishing the season, so the terms stand.

She is normally reliable but her statement here is inaccurate as to the actual terms which appear to be that if Gordon appeared in more than 10 games Cleveland would have to give NE a 7th round pick.

Gordon appeared in 11 games so Cleveland does not need to relinquish the 7th round draft pick.

@UKMustangFan was right.

Gentlemen, thank you for the correction.