Sheldon Clark, a 9-1 #3-seed

SuperB

That has nothing to do with why SC is a 3 seed. They finished 3rd in the tie breaker calculation and that is the same tie breaker system we have used for years.

Thus my question above. Is the complaint re: playing teams in your own district first (new plan) or is the complaint that they ended up 3rd?

New system, old system. Bottom line is you got to win 5 games to be statechamps. You are still playing the same seeds just in your own district instead of the other district. Top seeds still get home field. Not much difference between systems except for playing someone from your own district in Round 1. Many teams ended up meeting someone from their own district in round 2 anyway. Also this ensures each district is represented in round 3 which I believe was an influence on why this decision was made, but we will never truly know the whole story so lets just get over it and enjoy the next 5 weeks of Kentucky HS football.:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

Guest kybigguy42
Yes, Sheldon Clark ended up in a 3 way tie with Belfry and Prestonsburg. The results are posted in this forum a couple of times and on the KHSAA website.

Sheldon Clark went undefeated in non district play, but they beat some weak teams. Belfry won the tie breaker based on wins over Pikeville and NCC that put them over the top on points. Even though Prestonsburg only had 1 non district win, they still had more points than SC.

Bottom line, unless you schedule better opponents and beat some of them, you will not win in a tie breaker. It does reward you for quality wins but you get very little credit for beating weak teams.

I almost always agree with you, Watusi. But the fact is Prestonsburg got a higher seed than Sheldon Clark on points because of its win over Paintsville.....a Class A school with wins over powerhouses like Allen Central, South Floyd, etc. Sheldon Clark on the other hand defeated 2 AAA schools in Boyd County and Lawrence County. Granted neither of these teams won as many games, but I think we would all agree that either of them were better than a Paintsville team that barely squeaked by South Floyd at the end of the season.

The fact remains though that the Cardinals have no one to blame for being a #3 seed but themselves. They can redeem themselves on Friday night with a win at Prestonsburg.

Your last paragraph says it all.

If your seeding comes down to a tie breaker, then you probably didn't make the best use of your regular season chances.

This tie breaker system may not produce perfect results EVERY time, and this district is a good example of the exception to the rule. But IMO it works very well most of the time and I am not aware of a more fair tie breaker system that they could use. It does reward teams who win against the better competition.

I almost always agree with you, Watusi. But the fact is Prestonsburg got a higher seed than Sheldon Clark on points because of its win over Paintsville.....a Class A school with wins over powerhouses like Allen Central, South Floyd, etc. Sheldon Clark on the other hand defeated 2 AAA schools in Boyd County and Lawrence County. Granted neither of these teams won as many games, but I think we would all agree that either of them were better than a Paintsville team that barely squeaked by South Floyd at the end of the season.

You're exactly right.

But who knew Boyd Co. and Lawrence Co. would be so weak (vs. their schedule) this year ?!?

Even scheduling has an element of "luck" to it.

:bunny:

You're exactly right.

But who knew Boyd Co. and Lawrence Co. would be so weak (vs. their schedule) this year ?!?

Even scheduling has an element of "luck" to it.

:bunny:

I think most people thought those teams would struggle this year.

Your last paragraph says it all.

If your seeding comes down to a tie breaker, then you probably didn't make the best use of your regular season chances.

This tie breaker system may not produce perfect results EVERY time, and this district is a good example of the exception to the rule. But IMO it works very well most of the time and I am not aware of a more fair tie breaker system that they could use. It does reward teams who win against the better competition.

The thing is that the tiebraker has not changed. This is the same tiebraker that has been used in the past. It has nothing to do with the fact that the first two playoff games are within district this season.