Cooper 42 Newport Central Catholic 34

Same old coach just a new team.

Kelly was hurt Last week late in the 4th qtr when the Breds where up by a bunch. He should not have been in the game last week when he got hurt and he would have been playing tonight.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Kelly makes a difference and NCC probably wins if Kelly plays. However, would NCC fans be happy with a 42-34 win over Cooper with Kelly playing? I expected more out of NCC with or without Kelly.

I'm an optimist, but my first thought is, "yes, I'd be much happier with a win, even if it was ugly."

There are some alarm bells with this performance after the way they played last week, but I think there are going to be some peaks and valleys as the team adjusts to life under their new coach. I think a lot of NCC's problems last year were due to the offense being far too vanilla, and the team lacking discipline.

The discipline is improving (though needs to continue to get better), and they put up 34 points without their best player on offense. There are things to be corrected, but also good things to take away and build on, which is usually the case with NCC's early season schedules.

Same old coach just a new team.

Kelly was hurt in the late 4th qtr if there game last week when he should not have even been in the game.

People more familiar with the team can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is true. I think Kelly was hurt early in the third quarter, just before they went up 28-0.

Kelly must be the entire defense then..... nobody on that field was faster than Cooper’s qb . I doubt Kelly would have caught him . Running gaps were wide open. Corners were beat all night. Superb game for Cooper. Also NCC had at least 8 chances from mistakes and penalties and they didn’t take advantage. All Cooper needs is a deep safety and they’ll be competitive on defense

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Perfectly understandable that Kelly is a difference maker but giving up 42 points to a Cooper team that was certainly not favored to win and only scored 7 points last week should be more of a concern for NCC. Kelly playing or not, myself and many others would have thought NCC wins easily.

Perfectly understandable that Kelly is a difference maker but giving up 42 points to a Cooper team that was certainly not favored to win and only scored 7 points last week should be more of a concern for NCC. Kelly playing or not, myself and many others would have thought NCC wins easily.

It is a concern, absolutely, but it's also week 2. My point was that the Breds scored a bunch of points without their best offensive weapon, so they at least have some good things clicking that they can build on offensively, and they know now that they need to do a better job of protecting themselves defensively against mobile QB's that can move and chuck it deep.

I wasn't taking anything away from Cooper. Just speaking to the team I'm familiar with based on the game results.

How well did Coopers QB play? He's a fun player to watch

Qb Lee

5/9 168yds 3 tds

198 yds rushing 2 tds

Rb Witschey

101yds rushing 1 td

WR armour

3 rec 149yds 3 tds

49 yds rushing

This game was really won/lost in the trenches. The line of scrimmage belonged to Cooper the entire second half - both sides of the ball.

There is work to do but definitely have progressed since last Friday.

This is my concern w the Breds. They have the weapons all over. Do they have enough bodies up front to face these big teams and play a full 4.