Gen Z Is Killing Cash

ColonelPops

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how/why that would be true. The only difference is the source of the funds.

I’ve heard the same. Much harder to recover stolen cash from your account than to reverse a charge that didn’t have your authorization. Had my number stolen a few times and a simple call and all charges were reversed. Heck they even called me one time to ask if the charge was mine and it wasn’t.

All cash all the time. Only thing I don't pay in cash is house payment, car payment, and utilities. I don't have time to look at bank statements every month to see where I spent money. And as many transactions as I go thru I would never be able to keep up with it. Pay cash get a receipt, it's done. Don't have to do any further steps

All cash all the time. Only thing I don't pay in cash is house payment, car payment, and utilities. I don't have time to look at bank statements every month to see where I spent money. And as many transactions as I go thru I would never be able to keep up with it. Pay cash get a receipt, it's done. Don't have to do any further steps

Checking my bank statement is as easy as signing into BGP. Right on my phone. Lot easier than keeping track of receipts.

I’ve heard the same. Much harder to recover stolen cash from your account than to reverse a charge that didn’t have your authorization. Had my number stolen a few times and a simple call and all charges were reversed. Heck they even called me one time to ask if the charge was mine and it wasn’t.

Do you mean stealing cash from an ATM? They can’t do that without your PIN...

We refund fraudulent transactions on debit cards daily.

Checking my bank statement is as easy as signing into BGP. Right on my phone. Lot easier than keeping track of receipts.

Yep. Can't remember the last time I even thought about balancing my checking account. I rarely write checks....the only money that goes out of my checking out for the most part is to pay my credit cards that I've used, and for my mortgage and car payments that are automatically debited.

I really don't see how keeping, tracking, analyzing, and entering cash receipts is easier than doing the same with credit card receipts. Not to mention, my credit card transactions are available on my electronic statement that I can access at any time, unlike cash receipts.

Do you mean stealing cash from an ATM? They can’t do that without your PIN...

We refund fraudulent transactions on debit cards daily.

If you refund fraudulent transactions on debit cards daily, sounds like there may be an issue with debit cards LOL.

The most you can ever be liable for if your credit card info is stolen is $50. Not to mention you never actually lose any money for any period of time.

Liable for? If someone steals your debit card you can get all of the money back, you’re not “liable” for anything.

Yep. Can't remember the last time I even thought about balancing my checking account. I rarely write checks....the only money that goes out of my checking out for the most part is to pay my credit cards that I've used, and for my mortgage and car payments that are automatically debited.

I really don't see how keeping, tracking, analyzing, and entering cash receipts is easier than doing the same with credit card receipts. Not to mention, my credit card transactions are available on my electronic statement that I can access at any time, unlike cash receipts.

So you don't keep the receipts when you sign using your credit or debit card? How would you know if your card was charged correctly or charged for something that wasn't yours? If you keep those receipts, then check them against your credit card statement, then mail a check to pay for all the transactions you made on the card, your making more actions to pay for something that just paying for it on the spot. I understand you along with others think it's easier, I do not. The only reciepts I need to keep are anything for my business. Personal stuff it's payed for on the spot it's over and done. What would I need receipts from a restaurant or amusement park or getting my haircut for? To each his own....

On another note. You guys that don't carry any cash I'll tell you a little story. Guy standing at agas station begging for someone to give him money so he could get gas. He had ran out, coasted up to the pump only to find out that the stations credit card machine was not working. He had no cash on him so he could not gas. No one was giving the guy driving the $60,000 Escalade any cash. I don't know what happened to him, I payed for my gas and drove off. Laughing all the way home about the rich guy with no money. Lol

On another note. You guys that don't carry any cash I'll tell you a little story. Guy standing at agas station begging for someone to give him money so he could get gas. He had ran out, coasted up to the pump only to find out that the stations credit card machine was not working. He had no cash on him so he could not gas. No one was giving the guy driving the $60,000 Escalade any cash. I don't know what happened to him, I payed for my gas and drove off. Laughing all the way home about the rich guy with no money. Lol

Why? Obviously he probably would have paid you back plus some. I know if that happened to me I’m taking the guys name and either Venmo him the money right then and there or get his address and mail him a check. I’m not sure what the guy being rich has anything to do with it. Escalade or Pinto I’m helping a guy out.

So you don't keep the receipts when you sign using your credit or debit card? How would you know if your card was charged correctly or charged for something that wasn't yours? If you keep those receipts, then check them against your credit card statement, then mail a check to pay for all the transactions you made on the card, your making more actions to pay for something that just paying for it on the spot. I understand you along with others think it's easier, I do not. The only reciepts I need to keep are anything for my business. Personal stuff it's payed for on the spot it's over and done. What would I need receipts from a restaurant or amusement park or getting my haircut for? To each his own....

I don't need to keep personal receipts (except my business receipts which I turn in bi weekly and for any purchase which I may need to return). I get a notification from my app every time a transaction is made. It tells me when, how much, and where my card was used. I know right away if a fraudulent transaction was made. And then I also use the app to immediately make the payment. No need to match up receipts at the end of the month, and I haven't written a check to make a CC payment in years. As I mentioned before, my card app also categorizes and tracks my spending, making budgeting and doing taxes much easier during tax time. I think it's worth the extra tiny step (it literally takes less than 5 seconds) of setting up the payment (as I said, I pay my CC transactions off weekly, and sometimes daily) as I'm getting rewards and saving myself headaches every February when I do my taxes.

I don't need to keep personal receipts (except my business receipts which I turn in bi weekly and for any purchase which I may need to return). I get a notification from my app every time a transaction is made. It tells me when, how much, and where my card was used. I know right away if a fraudulent transaction was made. And then I also use the app to immediately make the payment. No need to match up receipts at the end of the month, and I haven't written a check to make a CC payment in years. As I mentioned before, my card app also categorizes and tracks my spending, making budgeting and doing taxes much easier during tax time. I think it's worth the extra tiny step (it literally takes less than 5 seconds) of setting up the payment (as I said, I pay my CC transactions off weekly, and sometimes daily) as I'm getting rewards and saving myself headaches every February when I do my taxes.

Glad that it works for you. But just curious, what happens when you lose your phone or it is stolen?