Gen Z Is Killing Cash

ColonelPops

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use cash for everything. When gas go up over $4.00 a gallon it was too much carry cash around. I started using a BP card that gave cash back. Now I use a Visa Disney Card and put almost everything on it and pay it off each month. It allows me to carry very little cash and also to build up dollars on the Disney card. If it wasn't for concession stands I probably would not have a need for cash.

For me, it's because on average you spend an extra 12-15% when you use one as opposed to cash.

I guess for some maybe that’s true. For me though, I wouldn’t know when I mostly carried cash, since I never wrote down every time I spent money. I love how my Amex statement breaks everything down and categorizes all my spending. It was eye opening to me in my first several statements as to how frivolous I was. In addition even if I do spend a little more, with rewards I’m guessing I still come out ahead. And since most of my savings is automated, I’m confident I’m still putting a good chunk of cash away. Plus I only keep enough in my checking to cover my expenses, So in the end, i really don’t think I overspend using my cards instead of cash.

So you don’t use debit cards and you don’t withdraw cash at ATMs. Do you even spend money at all?

Dont have a debit card or ATM card for my bank accounts to use. When I need cash I got into the bank and get it. I use my credit card for lots of things over $100 or so.

Dont have a debit card or ATM card for my bank accounts to use. When I need cash I got into the bank and get it. I use my credit card for lots of things over $100 or so.

So you just always make sure to have enough cash to cover any expenses? What if you need cash and the bank is closed? What if you lose your wallet and it’s the weekend?

So you just always make sure to have enough cash to cover any expenses? What if you need cash and the bank is closed? What if you lose your wallet and it’s the weekend?

1. yes, I make sure I have enough cash on me when I need it, I plan accordingly.

2. Ive never lost my wallet, but lets say I did. I have spare cash at home in my safe.

1. yes, I make sure I have enough cash on me when I need it, I plan accordingly.

2. Ive never lost my wallet, but lets say I did. I have spare cash at home in my safe.

1) Curious how much cash do you carry on you at any one time? I think for me to have enough cash on me to cover any possible expense on a given weekend would probably be north of $200.

2) I guess I’d rather have my spare money sitting in a bank earning interest as opposed to in my safe.

1) Curious how much cash do you carry on you at any one time? I think for me to have enough cash on me to cover any possible expense on a given weekend would probably be north of $200.

2) I guess I’d rather have my spare money sitting in a bank earning interest as opposed to in my safe.

1. Currently in my wallet $267.00 in cash. That is what is remaining of the $300 I put in there on Sunday. So I have spent $33 this week in cash.

2. The amount I keep in the safe is small enough that it wont make squat in a bank at current rates.

1. Currently in my wallet $267.00 in cash. That is what is remaining of the $300 I put in there on Sunday. So I have spent $33 this week in cash.

2. The amount I keep in the safe is small enough that it wont make squat in a bank at current rates.

I just wouldn’t have a use for that kind of cash when I can just swipe my card just as easy.

I just wouldn’t have a use for that kind of cash when I can just swipe my card just as easy.

Well I was just thinking, what do you count gift cards as? Because I drive so much, when I go to Krogers, I will buy gift cards for the usual lunch stops, and then use the gift cards for lunch purchases.