Racial Profiling In Philadelphia?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s fine. I just find it incredibly odd that two men were in a public restaurant waiting on someone and were told to leave for whatever reason.

Just speculating but if they asked to use the bathroom and were denied and then just sat down without ordering anything that is probably a standard type case where Starbucks will be able to defend its actions enforcing whatever policy may exist and that is assuming there is a policy.

And as of now it is only speculation if the manager followed Starbucks policy, correct?

Correct.

But... companies technically don't need a policy to request someone leave their business.

Or put another way, Corporations have lots and lots of power and they often abuse it when it gets in the way of the almighty dollar.

Correct.

But... companies technically don't need a policy to request someone leave their business.

Or put another way, Corporations have lots and lots of power and they often abuse it when it gets in the way of the almighty dollar.

Man, ain’t that the truth.

And as of now it is only speculation if the manager followed Starbucks policy, correct?

I think the manager followed the company policy.

To me, the question at hand is if he/she follows that policy all the time. As Guru stated early in this thread, does the manager apply the policy if these are two, high-class women?

To me, the question at hand is if he/she follows that policy all the time. As Guru stated early in this thread, does the manager apply the policy if these are two, high-class women?

To take it a step further, do the Starbucks powers that be give their Managers discretion with the policy?

Is that a serious question? You already know the answer to the question.

To take it a step further, do the Starbucks powers that be give their Managers discretion with the policy?

Of course. And they expect them to not make them look bad when using this discretion. If they make them look bad, bam, fired. Peace. Diversity training for everybody!!!!!

And to add to that, I’m pretty sure the woman who videotaped it, Elizabeth DePino, stated that there was at least one other white person on Starbucks, chilling, not buying anything, using the WiFi and the bathroom whenever they wanted to, without any issue from the 911 calling fired manager.

I’m sure I saw this reported somewhere.

It's a serious question--the crux of the matter IMO-- but yes, I am pretty confident about the answer.

I think the manager acted on impulse and mood which may or may not have had racist intent. Only the manager knows and none of us will ever know that truth. The manager had an eye on these two gentlemen for some reason and all we know is that if these two gentlemen weren’t going to buy anything then they needed to leave. It could be for a multitude of reasons and we’ll have our own beliefs. I think at the end of the day we all know that if it was two high class women doing the exact same thing then it wouldn’t have escalated to what it escalated to.

I can’t lie. I LOVE Starbucks White Chocolate Hot Chocolate but it’s going to be quite some time before I give Starbucks my money again. I can’t wait until the time I am driving and my wife wants some Starbucks and we go through the drive thru, she’s paying for it, and I’ll stare into the soul of the drive thru cashier and make it clear that the Venti Caramel Machiatto with nonfat milk is for her and that I ain’t buying nothing. Not even tap water.

Word up.

That’s fine. I just find it incredibly odd that two men were in a public restaurant waiting on someone and were told to leave for whatever reason.

Happens a lot more than you think, even to white people. No reason for you to know or hear about it in most cases though.

I think the manager acted on impulse and mood which may or may not have had racist intent. Only the manager knows and none of us will ever know that truth. The manager had an eye on these two gentlemen for some reason and all we know is that if these two gentlemen weren’t going to buy anything then they needed to leave. It could be for a multitude of reasons and we’ll have our own beliefs. I think at the end of the day we all know that if it was two high class women doing the exact same thing then it wouldn’t have escalated to what it escalated to.

I can’t lie. I LOVE Starbucks White Chocolate Hot Chocolate but it’s going to be quite some time before I give Starbucks my money again. I can’t wait until the time I am driving and my wife wants some Starbucks and we go through the drive thru, she’s paying for it, and I’ll stare into the soul of the drive thru cashier and make it clear that the Venti Caramel Machiatto with nonfat milk is for her and that I ain’t buying nothing. Not even tap water.

Word up.

No question in my mind that two high class women would have been treated differently. And as I have said in this thread, I am usually hesitant to blame things on race. But two minutes tells the story more than anything.

I don't go to Starbucks very often just because I think they're badly overpriced. Every once in a while when I am at Barnes and Noble I will get a frappucino. The Smores flavor is really good. Their regular coffee is overrated though IMO.