Racial Profiling In Philadelphia?

You’d just turn around leave knowing that there isn’t any good reason for you to have to leave?

I probably wouldn’t even question it but I’m black so I don’t want to get arrested or shot so I’d leave quickly.

Not buying something while taking up a table is a good reason to be asked to leave. I would at least wait outside until whomever I'm meeting shows up. That said, I still have no clue if this was racial profiling or nor not. My not being there makes it hard to determine.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not buying something while taking up a table is a good reason to be asked to leave. I would at least wait outside until whomever I'm meeting shows up. That said, I still have no clue if this was racial profiling or nor not. My not being there makes it hard to determine.

Unless they went to every table of folks who hadn’t purchased something and made them leave then it is profiling and discriminatory. If I am not mistaken some of the witnesses said they hadn’t purchased anything and one claimed to have used the restroom. It is what it is though. Maybe one day it will get better maybe it won’t. It’d be nice to not have to worry about it but at least blacks are learning how to avoid death in these situations.

Unless they went to every table of folks who hadn’t purchased something and made them leave then it is profiling and discriminatory. If I am not mistaken some of the witnesses said they hadn’t purchased anything and one claimed to have used the restroom. It is what it is though. Maybe one day it will get better maybe it won’t. It’d be nice to not have to worry about it but at least blacks are learning how to avoid death in these situations.

I haven't read the article but if that is the case, I agree it was profiling. That would be inexcusable.

I hope it gets better, and soon!

You’d just turn around leave knowing that there isn’t any good reason for you to have to leave?

I probably wouldn’t even question it but I’m black so I don’t want to get arrested or shot so I’d leave quickly.

If a manager or owner of a business told me to leave, yes I would question why. But in the end it really doesn’t matter. If they tell me to leave I would leave. As soon as I don’t I’m treaspssing and breaking the law.

This has probably been mentioned somewhere in the thread, but I thought loitering in Starbucks was what you did.

This manager created a national firestorm and millions of dollars worth of negative press for Starbucks over 2 minutes of loitering.

I imagine the company will be well within their rights to fire her.

I have a hard time believing that every person in this thread wouldn’t question the manager of an establishment if they were being asked to leave for no true reason while waiting to meet someone.

No doubt I would. But I also wouldn't refuse to leave.

Agree with both of you on this. I would definitely question the manager and I would leave.

I also would never go back.

By refusing to leave a business after being asked, told and ordered to do so by the police? Not sure I'm following this learning curve you're referring to.

If I am waiting on someone I am more than likely going to purchase something once we are all there together. I was raised that the polite thing to do is to wait to order once everyone has arrived. If I have to purchase something to preserve the seat or keep from getting arrested or shot then I’ll probably pull out my wallet.

Well, seeing as how black men are feared all across the country when we are unarmed it doesn’t matter if I am in Boyle County or Paducah. It’s still dangerous.

To borrow one of your favorite responses, hyperbole

By refusing to leave a business after being asked, told and ordered to do so by the police? Not sure I'm following this learning curve you're referring to.

They listened to the officers. They didn’t resist arrest. They complied and did what they were told to do and lived to be able to tell their side of the story. Many other blacks weren’t as fortunate.

They listened to the officers. They didn’t resist arrest. They complied and did what they were told to do and lived to be able to tell their side of the story. Many other blacks weren’t as fortunate.

No they didn't, they were asked to leave by the police officers several times and refused to leave and then replied with derogatory comments towards the officers. They didn't resist or fight, which is true, but to say they listened to the officers and complied with their request seems to be wrong.

No they didn't, they were asked to leave by the police officers several times and refused to leave and then replied with derogatory comments towards the officers. They didn't resist or fight, which is true, but to say they listened to the officers and complied with their request seems to be wrong.

Well thank God these officers weren’t like other officers would have beaten and killed them. They were playing with their lives talking disrespectful to those officers like that.

Sarcasm aside, can you provide a link for that? That’s the first I have heard about them talking crazy to the police.

The cops apologized to the men also? But the men were mean to them.