April 3, 20188 yr I'm trying to think of a reason they would give that would NOT warrant a classroom discussion. Let's say a young student protest the national anthem because he saw mom or dad do it, but doesn't really understand why they are doing it. After all small kids will mimic parents and other adults all the time without realizing what they are doing or why. I don't think discussing Colin Kapernick, for example with 1st graders, would be very productive or my place as a teacher.
April 3, 20188 yr I'm trying to think of a reason they would give that would NOT warrant a classroom discussion. I teach science. It doesn't fall within what I teach. I respect a student's right to not stand, as long as they respect my right to spend that time honoring our country, our veterans and our active military. As such, I am not going to ask a student their reasoning.
April 3, 20188 yr Let's say a young student protest the national anthem because he saw mom or dad do it, but doesn't really understand why they are doing it. After all small kids will mimic parents and other adults all the time without realizing what they are doing or why. I don't think discussing Colin Kapernick, for example with 1st graders, would be very productive or my place as a teacher. Mimic their parents like those that mimic their parents who stand for the anthem? First graders would be extreme. Let's say they were 5th grade or above. Why not take the chance to a)listen to what they say/feel and b)allow for open discussion?
April 3, 20188 yr I teach science. It doesn't fall within what I teach. I respect a student's right to not stand, as long as they respect my right to spend that time honoring our country, our veterans and our active military. As such, I am not going to ask a student their reasoning. Do you ever feel something is worthy of discussion for a day even if it means no science is being taught that day? I fully realize your number one goal is to teach science. Just curious if there are times/issues that warrant a day of no instruction.
April 3, 20188 yr Mimic their parents like those that mimic their parents who stand for the anthem? First graders would be extreme. Let's say they were 5th grade or above. Why not take the chance to a)listen to what they say/feel and b)allow for open discussion? I'd always A) Listen to what they have to say. I'd then determine if a discussion was appropriate for my class or not after that.
April 3, 20188 yr Mimic their parents like those that mimic their parents who stand for the anthem? First graders would be extreme. Let's say they were 5th grade or above. Why not take the chance to a)listen to what they say/feel and b)allow for open discussion? This part is really important, and one that gets said often, but doesn't always happen. Listen and discuss openly means not just dismiss it, because you don't agree with it. Don't shut it down because you think it's silly. Don't just assume they "are just wanting to be seen" or "go viral". Open discussions many times are really not all that open. That's been especially true of the topic in this post, or with those that have kneeled for the National Anthem.
April 3, 20188 yr Do we really need another 4+ page thread on kneeling for the Flag? The pro kneel crowd has the right to do it. People have free choice and they don’t have to support the flag or our country. That’s what certain members on this website fought for. That’s what my brother goes to formation every morning for. Being a Patriot is a choice.
April 3, 20188 yr Just because someone doesn't think it's a big deal that people kneel for the anthem, doesn't mean they don't support the flag or our country.
April 3, 20188 yr Author Do we really need another 4+ page thread on kneeling for the Flag? The pro kneel crowd has the right to do it. People have free choice and they don’t have to support the flag or our country. That’s what certain members on this website fought for. That’s what my brother goes to formation every morning for. Being a Patriot is a choice. I started this thread, because my premise is different from singing at a sporting event. As far as I know, this is the first time we have discussed the Pledge of Allegiance that happens at most schools, every day around the country. As a high school teacher, I am interested in other people’s opinions. I am very appreciative of the sharing by all, especially my fellow BGP teachers, both active and retired.
April 3, 20188 yr Just because someone doesn't think it's a big deal that people kneel for the anthem, doesn't mean they don't support the flag or our country. But if you don't loudly and blatantly display it like everyone else you aren't really being patriotic. It's kinda like crossfit, it isn't really crossfit if you don't talk about crossfit every few minutes and post it on social media. :walk:
April 3, 20188 yr But if you don't loudly and blatantly display it like everyone else you aren't really being patriotic. It's kinda like crossfit, it isn't really crossfit if you don't talk about crossfit every few minutes and post it on social media. :walk: :lol: :lol:
April 3, 20188 yr But if you don't loudly and blatantly display it like everyone else you aren't really being patriotic. It's kinda like crossfit, it isn't really crossfit if you don't talk about crossfit every few minutes and post it on social media. :walk: Patriotism and CrossFit are the anti-Fight Club :lol2:
April 3, 20188 yr But if you don't loudly and blatantly display it like everyone else you aren't really being patriotic. It's kinda like crossfit, it isn't really crossfit if you don't talk about crossfit every few minutes and post it on social media. :walk: This is a hilariously accurate analogy. Add vegans to this list as well. Probably craft beer drinkers too.
April 3, 20188 yr :lol2: This week’s Get off my lawn. Just curious what you’re referring to... Im wondering when minors were given choices.
April 3, 20188 yr Im wondering when minors were given choices. When good parents allowed them to have their own opinions.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.