Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What if Kids Choose to Sit/Kneel for the Pledge of Allegiance?

Featured Replies

The morning announcements comes on, “Please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.” A couple of your students take a knee while the rest of the school stands. What happens next?

 

Thought about this from the thread about a couple of choir kids who kneeled while performing the National Anthem at a baseball game.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously teachers aren’t allowed to force students to stand especially if you want to keep your job.

My first couple of years you would have a few kids who seemed to rebel against everything choose to sit quietly. I normally didn’t pay much attention as long as they didn’t make noise.

Then I had a student that I would describe as having conservative values. First day in class, he chooses to say the pledge. The second day he chooses to sit: the same thing second day and so on. After two weeks of the same thing at the end of class, I ask him why he chooses to sit for the pledge.

His logic was profound, “why do I have to pledge my allegiance everyday. I didn’t do anything from the first day that changed my allegiance to the USA.”

 

Shortly after that my son was in travel ball, we did the anthem 4 times in a day. Why? I never would have questioned it before but the whole deal suddenly seemed silly. We all loved America just as much as we did 90 minutes earlier.

Why should something happen next?

 

At most I'm going to use it as an opportunity for a discussion - not a lecture - asking him why he/she takes such an action. I'm certainly not going to tell them what they should be doing. I'm going to simply hear them out , ask them a few questions, and then support them.

  • Author

It’s an all school assembly, and a group of students take a knee during the Pledge. Just ignore?

It’s an all school assembly, and a group of students take a knee during the Pledge. Just ignore?

 

For me. As long as they are quiet.

I might engage them afterwards and ask if I felt like it. Sometimes I’m not into the reasons kids protest :lol2: so I don’t ask.

  • Author

Taking a class that focuses on classroom management. Clearly identified classroom procedures is key. Is Standing for the Pledge part of the classroom procedure?

Regardless of it being in the classroom with 30 students or in the auditorium with 3000, as long as they are not disrupting others from honoring the flag or anthem, I have no problem with it. I'd much rather see this than someone standing with their hands in their back pockets chomping on their gum or someone using their cellphone.

Taking a class that focuses on classroom management. Clearly identified classroom procedures is key. Is Standing for the Pledge part of the classroom procedure?

At the high school level, I would say that it is an understood procedure. In my classroom, to the left of my flag, I have a photo of my father in his Army uniform. On the right side, I have a sign that reads "my reason for saying the Pledge."

  • Author
At the high school level, I would say that it is an understood procedure. In my classroom, to the left of my flag, I have a photo of my father in his Army uniform. On the right side, I have a sign that reads "my reason for saying the Pledge."

That is awesome.

 

If it is an understood classroom procedure, and students choose to not stand because of there beliefs, are they breaking said procedure?

The vast majority of the time it's more about "Look at me" than it is a genuine protest, at least that is my opinion. The worst thing that you can do is to call them out or try to force them to stand or conform in some way. I'd ask them, one on one, what the issue was and if they wanted to discuss it. I would not give them an open classroom forum to disrupt class. If after speaking to them, I felt there was a teachable moment then and only then would we discuss it in class. Otherwise I'd let them "Protest" in silence and not draw any additional attention to it.

At the high school level, I would say that it is an understood procedure. In my classroom, to the left of my flag, I have a photo of my father in his Army uniform. On the right side, I have a sign that reads "my reason for saying the Pledge."

 

Sad that certain people today require reminders.

It’s an all school assembly, and a group of students take a knee during the Pledge. Just ignore?

 

Why do otherwise?

That is awesome.

 

If it is an understood classroom procedure, and students choose to not stand because of there beliefs, are they breaking said procedure?

No. The procedure is to allow those that wish to honor the flag time to do so.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.