What if Kids Choose to Sit/Kneel for the Pledge of Allegiance?

hoops5

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The vast majority of the time it's more about "Look at me" than it is a genuine protest, at least that is my opinion. The worst thing that you can do is to call them out or try to force them to stand or conform in some way. I'd ask them, one on one, what the issue was and if they wanted to discuss it. I would not give them an open classroom forum to disrupt class. If after speaking to them, I felt there was a teachable moment then and only then would we discuss it in class. Otherwise I'd let them "Protest" in silence and not draw any additional attention to it.

What would you require before allowing there to be a discussion?

What number is higher?

% of kids that kneel that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why

OR

% of kids that stand that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why?

I'd argue that the kids that kneel have at least given it some thought.

If we think kids are standing to be patriotic or for their love of country we're kidding ourselves.

What number is higher?

% of kids that kneel that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why

OR

% of kids that stand that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why?

I'd argue that the kids that kneel have at least given it some thought.

If we think kids are standing to be patriotic or for their love of country we're kidding ourselves.

The only difference is everyone stood from 09-17. Then some people stand today.

How isn’t it? Do you have anything to support it other than hearsay? People who love America always stand, regardless of which 8 year cycle it is.

I've seen it with my own eyes. Every sporting event you go to there are people sitting, and there always has been.

Do you stand for the anthem when you're watching a sporting event on TV and it plays?

I have before, it’s different at home vs. at a game when they say “please rise and honor America.” It’s a poor analogy but even those who are sitting at home are listening to the song and respecting the moment. Plenty of people heard Fergie from their sofas.