Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What if Kids Choose to Sit/Kneel for the Pledge of Allegiance?

Featured Replies

Genuine question here....What's the rationale behind the Pledge being said every day in schools?

  • Replies 71
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sad that certain people today require reminders.

I don't do it as a reminder for anyone. It is a way for me to honor my father.

I have two students in my home room who sit every morning. I won’t comment on the kids themselves.

 

From my perspective, I simply said make sure you’re doing this for reasons you really believe in and aren’t searching for attention.

I don't do it as a reminder for anyone. It is a way for me to honor my father.

 

No I get that part, I do the same. I went to a funeral last week for a friend who served in Vietnam. He had a beautiful flag on this coffin. That’s why I stand.

The vast majority of the time it's more about "Look at me" than it is a genuine protest, at least that is my opinion. The worst thing that you can do is to call them out or try to force them to stand or conform in some way. I'd ask them, one on one, what the issue was and if they wanted to discuss it. I would not give them an open classroom forum to disrupt class. If after speaking to them, I felt there was a teachable moment then and only then would we discuss it in class. Otherwise I'd let them "Protest" in silence and not draw any additional attention to it.

 

What would you require before allowing there to be a discussion?

What number is higher?

 

% of kids that kneel that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why

 

OR

 

% of kids that stand that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why?

 

I'd argue that the kids that kneel have at least given it some thought.

 

If we think kids are standing to be patriotic or for their love of country we're kidding ourselves.

What number is higher?

 

% of kids that kneel that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why

 

OR

 

% of kids that stand that can give a semi-intelligent reason as to why?

 

I'd argue that the kids that kneel have at least given it some thought.

 

If we think kids are standing to be patriotic or for their love of country we're kidding ourselves.

 

The only difference is everyone stood from 09-17. Then some people stand today.

The only difference is everyone stood from 09-17. Then some people stand today.

 

That's not true.

That's not true.

 

How isn’t it? Do you have anything to support it other than hearsay? People who love America always stand, regardless of which 8 year cycle it is.

The only difference is everyone stood from 09-17. Then some people stand today.

 

Great. Now what’s the answer to my question?

How isn’t it? Do you have anything to support it other than hearsay? People who love America always stand, regardless of which 8 year cycle it is.

 

I've seen it with my own eyes. Every sporting event you go to there are people sitting, and there always has been.

People who love America always stand, regardless of which 8 year cycle it is.

 

Do you stand for the anthem when you're watching a sporting event on TV and it plays?

Great. Now what’s the answer to my question?

 

“Look at me.” “Maybe this will go viral.”

I've seen it with my own eyes. Every sporting event you go to there are people sitting, and there always has been.

 

Hearsay.

Do you stand for the anthem when you're watching a sporting event on TV and it plays?

 

I have before, it’s different at home vs. at a game when they say “please rise and honor America.” It’s a poor analogy but even those who are sitting at home are listening to the song and respecting the moment. Plenty of people heard Fergie from their sofas.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.