Who would win? Thomas More College or Covington Catholic?

A few quick facts about TMC basketball--

*23-6 this year, lost in first round of NCAA D3 tourney.

*7 players on the roster were 1st team all region in KY, 2 were Region POY.

*3 players were all conference in their home state, 1 was POY.

Bottom line is more than a few of these guys can play a little. Are there any D1 guys there....probably not. But they aren't slouches either. Granted, I haven't seen them play, but they look decent on paper, and compete very well as a team at the D3 level. And yes, I believe that Cov Cath might just have the best player on the floor if they played (Frederick). And Walter would still be a matchup problem, and Rusthatz would very likely be in the rotation at TM. But I think TM will have more depth, and obviously more experience, against better competition. Nothing CC can do that TM hasn't likely seen. I do believe Cov Cath can hang with them, and maybe even beat them every now and then. But I think TMC wins a 7 game series everytime, pretty easily.

People like to discredit and put down D3 sports. The fact of the matter is, even at that level, most high school kids will not be able to play. The implication that TMC kids can't play at all is simply wrong.

First I honestly meant no disrespect. My point was they are at TMC because they are D3. Covington Catholics top 8 are all D2 or better but Nowak who TMC likes. So from what I saw they have no answer for the Mayers inside and you add the Cov Cath backcourt I do not see how TMC wins.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I honestly meant no disrespect. My point was they are at TMC because they are D3. Covington Catholics top 8 are all D2 or better but Nowak who TMC likes. So from what I saw they have no answer for the Mayers inside and you add the Cov Cath backcourt I do not see how TMC wins.

There are lots of D3 guys that end up there not because they aren't higher level players, but because of other reasons. Again, I can't say I know anything as to how any of TM's players ended up there. So it's not really fair to say they are playing D3 because they aren't good enough to play anywhere else. May be true, but it may not. And while Cov Cath is deep, I'm also pretty skeptical of the thought that their top 8 are all D2 or better players. Certainly they've got the 3 that will be playing at/above that level. And the Mayer's are obviously D1 athletes. But I'm not sure they are higher level college basketball players, and with their early commitment to football, we'll never know. And I just haven't seen enough of the rest to really comment. Ultimately, it's all a guessing game, and a matter of opinion, and my opinion really probably isn't worth that much ;). But D2 ball is very high level, and generally takes a special high school player with certain measurables to even get a sniff of playing. 8 D2 guys on one high school team would have to be pretty close to unprecedented.

Edited by rjs4470

So now cov cath has 8 D2 or higher players?

Edited by Juke

A few quick facts about TMC basketball--

*23-6 this year, lost in first round of NCAA D3 tourney.

*7 players on the roster were 1st team all region in KY, 2 were Region POY.

*3 players were all conference in their home state, 1 was POY.

Bottom line is more than a few of these guys can play a little. Are there any D1 guys there....probably not. But they aren't slouches either. Granted, I haven't seen them play, but they look decent on paper, and compete very well as a team at the D3 level. And yes, I believe that Cov Cath might just have the best player on the floor if they played (Frederick). And Walter would still be a matchup problem, and Rusthatz would very likely be in the rotation at TM. But I think TM will have more depth, and obviously more experience, against better competition. Nothing CC can do that TM hasn't likely seen. I do believe Cov Cath can hang with them, and maybe even beat them every now and then. But I think TMC wins a 7 game series everytime, pretty easily.

People like to discredit and put down D3 sports. The fact of the matter is, even at that level, most high school kids will not be able to play. The implication that TMC kids can't play at all is simply wrong.

He pretty much sums it all up, and any other argument is a complete disresptect to the Saints. I gaurentee nearly everyone in this thread saying "Cov Cath by 10+" has never watched TMC or any D3 team play for that matter.

This thread has me stumped. If you want to figure out the answer to this you have to ask #1: What is the gap in talent from D3 to D2? Because the starting lineup of CovCath is worthy of D2 on average. If you compare the two teams without considering age, CovCath has a slight edge in talent only because of their starters. A slight edge of about 10-20 points if there was a game. I also think their bench has some decent players that could compete against D3 players. And #2: How much development takes place from 17-18yrs to 19-23yrs of age? I assume a significant amount, so a development advantage goes to TMC. At the moment all I can do is guess which advantage is more significant. And I'm guessing the development advantage is. Much of CovCath is more talented, yes, but they are significantly underdeveloped.

Short answer, I'd say TMC by 15-20

This thread has me stumped. If you want to figure out the answer to this you have to ask #1: What is the gap in talent from D3 to D2? Because the starting lineup of CovCath is worthy of D2 on average. If you compare the two teams without considering age, CovCath has a slight edge in talent only because of their starters. A slight edge of about 10-20 points if there was a game. I also think their bench has some decent players that could compete against D3 players. And #2: How much development takes place from 17-18yrs to 19-23yrs of age? I assume a significant amount, so a development advantage goes to TMC. At the moment all I can do is guess which advantage is more significant. And I'm guessing the development advantage is. Much of CovCath is more talented, yes, but they are significantly underdeveloped.

Short answer, I'd say TMC by 15-20

A huge gap between D2- D3. TMC could not beat TMC.

These hypothetical threads about who would beat who are as silly as a beanie with a whirly-bird top, but, if you don't get fawning over THIS CovCath team, you set a mighty high bar for fawning.

No doubt they were really really good, I won’t/can’t argue that. But the droolin and cooing is a bit overboard IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me try this again. I believe TMC wins this game in double digits. And I would say that my son's NAIA D1 men's bball team ( which most of the people on here believe to be way below D1 and D2 NCAA) would run CCH out of the gym and I mean that literally. And for all you that think these schools couldn't gaurd Walter because they don't have a guy that size, you are way off. Walter could never run with some of the teams the entire game. The comment about 8 d2 players or better kills me. Good as they are those 8 would not beat the starting 5 on a top d3 team and would get crushed against a top NAIA team.