Who would win? Thomas More College or Covington Catholic?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take Thomas More. Frederick is probably the best player on the court, but Thomas More has lots of guys that were all-region in high school and have 2-4 years of strength/maturity on top of that.

I take Thomas More. Frederick is probably the best player on the court, but Thomas More has lots of guys that were all-region in high school and have 2-4 years of strength/maturity on top of that.

This. I think you nailed it. I would pick Thomas More by 10-15.

Cov Cath is good, but I don’t know that more than a few guys walk right in and start at TM. Remember, TM’s players were likely the top dog or close to the top dog on their individual HS teams. Plus TM is more experienced and has been playing higher level competition. CC won’t throw anything at them they haven’t seen or experienced before. CC may hang, and may not get blown out, but I don’t think they win. I don’t know that a really good HS team beats any college team in any of the major sports, except for maybe baseball, where a really good, top level pitcher can have a big influence on the outcome. Individual sports are a little of a different story.

Covington Catholic wins out right. Friend of mine sons plays at TMC and mentioned the staff liked Nowak and thinks they will offer him if they have not already.. I caught a game this year and could not believe how bad they were. They have no answer for CCH rotation. I like Covington Catholic by 15. AJ Mayer would be TMC best player and we have not even gotten to Ruthsatz, Walter and of course Fredrick. If the TMC players were so good ...They would not be at TMC.

Covington Catholic wins out right. Friend of mine sons plays at TMC and mentioned the staff liked Nowak and thinks they will offer him if they have not already.. I caught a game this year and could not believe how bad they were. They have no answer for CCH rotation. I like Covington Catholic by 15. AJ Mayer would be TMC best player and we have not even gotten to Ruthsatz, Walter and of course Fredrick. If the TMC players were so good ...They would not be at TMC.

Complete disrespect for the D3 game in general.

Agreed. I don't think this standard applies - "well, college players are men and are more developed than high school players".

Well considering most high school players cannot play at any collegiate level....the D3 level is a heck of a lot stronger than you are giving credit for. Having been around the D3 basketball scene in a few capacities at a few institutions you are way off base on this one.

Well considering most high school players cannot play at any collegiate level....the D3 level is a heck of a lot stronger than you are giving credit for. Having been around the D3 basketball scene in a few capacities at a few institutions you are way off base on this one.

My reference was not to "most". The whole question of the thread is a fantasy situation. We are comparing a state championship high school team to a decent D3 college team. Standards stereotypes IMO don't apply. In this case, they are a lot closer than one would think.

Complete disrespect for the D3 game in general.

A few quick facts about TMC basketball--

*23-6 this year, lost in first round of NCAA D3 tourney.

*7 players on the roster were 1st team all region in KY, 2 were Region POY.

*3 players were all conference in their home state, 1 was POY.

Bottom line is more than a few of these guys can play a little. Are there any D1 guys there....probably not. But they aren't slouches either. Granted, I haven't seen them play, but they look decent on paper, and compete very well as a team at the D3 level. And yes, I believe that Cov Cath might just have the best player on the floor if they played (Frederick). And Walter would still be a matchup problem, and Rusthatz would very likely be in the rotation at TM. But I think TM will have more depth, and obviously more experience, against better competition. Nothing CC can do that TM hasn't likely seen. I do believe Cov Cath can hang with them, and maybe even beat them every now and then. But I think TMC wins a 7 game series everytime, pretty easily.

People like to discredit and put down D3 sports. The fact of the matter is, even at that level, most high school kids will not be able to play. The implication that TMC kids can't play at all is simply wrong.

I think this would be a pretty even match up. CCH has a point guard who would be an even match up, a D1 guard who would likely be the best player on the court, and a D1 big who would give TMC trouble inside. The other CCH players are solid and would not be at a huge disadvantage. I think TMC has a small edge with strength and athleticism just because of their age but like most D3 teams, they are not a big team. I'd love to see this just to find out.