Northern Kentucky Player of the Year

Fredrick outplayed Kunkel big time in the last meeting. Not big on head to head since this is a 9th Region thingy, but the body of work certainly leans CJ, and CJ dominated Kunkel all summer, and in Vegas I am positive Belmont would offer CJ if hadn’t signed withca Big 10 team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played full strength against Highlands. He played bad and coach took him out. There is no way Frederick shouldn’t win! Best player against best competition, on the best team!

Wrong!!! Just shows you don't know what you are talking about. He broke his nose the weekend before they played Highlands on a Tuesday night. Because he is such a tough kid and competitor he tried to play with it. He had surgery after the Highlands game and the Boone and Cov. Cath. games were his first two games back wearing the protective mask and trying to get acclimated to it.

I could only imagine the soap opera that would be going on if this would have happened to CJ God forbid.

Fredrick outplayed Kunkel big time in the last meeting. Not big on head to head since this is a 9th Region thingy, but the body of work certainly leans CJ, and CJ dominated Kunkel all summer, and in Vegas I am positive Belmont would offer CJ if hadn’t signed withca Big 10 team.

Two different player's with different styles of play. Two different coaches that expect different things out of each one of them. AK can do somethings better than CJ and CJ can do somethings better than AK. The big problem is that people only get a small sample size of games to make their judgement instead of getting to see each of them play in every game. Two great players with different expectations from them by their coaches.

Two different player's with different styles of play. Two different coaches that expect different things out of each one of them. AK can do somethings better than CJ and CJ can do somethings better than AK. The big problem is that people only get a small sample size of games to make their judgement instead of getting to see each of them play in every game. Two great players with different expectations from them by their coaches.

Agreed overall. What are the different expectations?

I don't think they played each other in Vegas...I know they played in South Carolina but I don't think they played 22 Vision in Vegas. And in SC there was no domination by either player. They both played good but I didn't see anything great.

Facts are Facts!

1- C.J. plays the hardest schedule in state

2- C.J. has better season averages

3- C.J. stats against like opponents not even close

4- CJ was better in combined head to head.

5. C.J. has one regional loss. Kunkel has two

1. How did you determine CCH plays the hardest schedule. I dont think that is a Fact.

2. CJ was better in combined head to head is just an opinion and we all have one.

3. CJ has one regional loss and Kunkel two, so what. I would argue CCH has a lot more talent than Cooper and should have never lost to them but they did even with the undisputed player of the year according to you.

I like your passion for Frederick and like I stated before he is very deserving of being co-player of the year.

CJ is a top notch player and his team has a great chance to win it all so just enjoy the ride.

I have posted facts about why Frederick should win it! Not saying Kunkel isn’t a good player. C.J. had a better year! I have backed my post up with facts!

Thankfully the ones who did the judging sensibly understood that we had two incredibly special and deserving players in the 9th this season, and that it would be a disservice if either one were not recognized.

While one lead in percentage points it wasn't so much that could be determined as a landslide, or so significantly worthy enough of overlooking the other.

In this case, co-winners seemed to be about the only rational and logical conclusion that the mature adults who did the selecting could sensibly determine.

They were named Co-Players of the Year in the 9th. Both eligible for Mr Basketball, and likely both will be Top 5 in voting.

I guess we can continue to debate here but if I am reading this post correctly the voting is over and they were named Co-players of the year in the 9th region. Correct?

To say Fredrick runs away with it is just foolish.

Per KHSAA scored board

PPG: CJ 22.5 AK 21.0

FG% CJ 57.4 AK 51.0

3pt FG% CJ 48.8 AK 48.6

FT% CJ 83.7 AK 81.3

Rebounds CJ 3.3 AK 7.6 (big difference)

All of their stats are very similar except rebounding. AK has a huge advantage when it comes to rebounding.

I believe AK is a much better defender. He guards the opponents best player every night. CJ does not.

CJ has a better surrounding cast. Therefore he is able to get better shots. AK has a lot more pressure on him all the time.

CJ is a better passer.

AK is quicker, can take players off the dribble, and is a better ball handler than CJ

AK dominated CJ last year in the regional finals.

Both are going to nice D1 schools

Granted, both players are really, really good high school players. It has been a blessing to get to see them play the past couple years.

They both are great players and well deserving of 9th region player of the year. To slant it any way to say one of them is a run away is just foolish and reduces all your credibility. There really isn't that much difference in them.