Northern Kentucky Player of the Year

Cooper lost to a team Cov Cath beat by 20+. I have put facts on here about Frederick! Still waiting for someone to post facts why Kunkel! Right now it’s all about people’s opinions.

Will the real player of the year please stand up!

I would also say it's a fact that if you take CJ off Covcath they are still probably a top 5 team or at least a team who can compete still with the best. You take Kunkel off Cooper and they are still good but are no longer a top 10 team in the state.

The point being teams can't just focus on CJ because you have other guys like a 7 foot center to deal with and other tall athletic players. So CJ gets a lot more freedom of movement and not all eyes on him by a defense all game. While Kunkel is the focal point for each defense because a team knows if you can hold Kunkel down the better shot you have.

At the end of the day two great players. If I had to pick one to start a high school team with it would be Kunkel though.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Jake Walter not even in this conversation? I’m just asking because I have seen him play and he is a game changer when he gets the ball. He is a matchup nightmare for anyone in this area. As far as players in Nky I don’t see anyone guarding him one on one just my opinion. I don’t feel Cov Cath uses him the way they should. I have seen Kunkel and Fredrick both play several times and they are both outstanding players but in different ways. I think Frederick is a better shooter with his soft touch but Kunkel is a better all around scorer especially getting to rim due to his quickness.

How is Jake Walter not even in this conversation? I’m just asking because I have seen him play and he is a game changer when he gets the ball. He is a matchup nightmare for anyone in this area. As far as players in Nky I don’t see anyone guarding him one on one just my opinion. I don’t feel Cov Cath uses him the way they should. I have seen Kunkel and Fredrick both play several times and they are both outstanding players but in different ways. I think Frederick is a better shooter with his soft touch but Kunkel is a better all around scorer especially getting to rim due to his quickness.

My guess is that the reason that Jake Walter is not in the conversation is because high school basketball is a guard’s game. Just the way that it is.

Jake does dominate but his stats are not gaudy due to as someone mentioned, the game is guard dominated these days. He does lead the state in FG %, but he averages 3-4 dunks per game.

Jake does dominate but his stats are not gaudy due to as someone mentioned, the game is guard dominated these days. He does lead the state in FG %, but he averages 3-4 dunks per game.

Do you feel his stats aren’t gaudy enough due to the fact that he doesn’t get the ball enough to beef up his stats? I feel with his size and ability that he should touch the ball every possession.

I think that most teams when they play Cov Cath focus more on how they can stop Jake than how they can stop CJ. Like I said CJ is guardable one on one but Jake is not in this area at least. As far as Cooper goes the focus is always to stop Kunkel and that is a fact. Just my two cents.

No chance this is true.

At the end of the day when a team is getting ready to go against a 7 footer. They are going to also spend a great deal of focus on how to stop him or at least not allow the 7 footer from dominating the game. Since no team usually has anyone near his size. If you go man to man, you most likely have to double, which means someone is open like a CJ. If you go zone, it allows for open shots which also is a great thing for a great shooter like CJ.

Like it or not when teams play CovCath. Jake is probably at least as Big of a focal point as CJ is when teams prepare for Covcath. When it comes to Cooper. Cooper has many good players too, but Kunkel is definitely the main one talked about when trying to slow them down.