Buying a Suit

TTS_JF

I probably need to get a new suit or two. I bought my last suit about 10 years ago at Men’s Wearhouse. Can’t remeber what I spent, but I think it was in the $400-$500 range. Sadly, it’s way too small as I was in the best shape of my life then, which I’m not even close to now. I’m always yo-yoing with my weight, which makes suit buying difficult. My job doesnt require a suit...I mostly rock a sport coat when I need to dress up, and I’ve got 7 or 8 In my closet.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZZ TOP sang it best “everybody is crazy bout a sharp dressed man “!!! Pretty sure mine came from JCPennys, and are nice quality and reasonably priced ... being comfortable in them is the main thing in my opinion ... TAC was on point with different pairs of slacks to mix it up with a nice sports coat along with a couple different ties is always a good option also ... Good luck with your suit quest ...

Thanks all I'm going to cut out of work a little early on Thursday and probably head to Lexington. I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm thinking probably lower end since I'll only be wearing it for a few events here and there.

On the plus side I talked my dad into riding with me, so I've got a little experience with me.

Wife says if you hit up Macy’s, which is a good suit option, take your coupons with you. May be a 25% off coupon lying around out there. Don’t pay rack price.

Very timely thread. I have to go to NYC this weekend for our annual show. Always hated this show since we have to wear a suit. It's the only place for work I still have to wear the suit. President just sent an email and said 'leave the suits and ties at home, but also leave the jeans at home'. Loving it!!

Overnight, my VP sends a note and says while he normally agrees with the pres. he feels suits are the best option since we may have executives coming in. I personally do not have anyone that will be sporting a suit. Now what????

ZZ TOP sang it best “everybody is crazy bout a sharp dressed man “!!! Pretty sure mine came from JCPennys, and are nice quality and reasonably priced ... being comfortable in them is the main thing in my opinion ... TAC was on point with different pairs of slacks to mix it up with a nice sports coat along with a couple different ties is always a good option also ... Good luck with your suit quest ...

I've bought all my sport coats from JCP. If you catch the timing right, you can get great deals. We got my oldest son a half dozen sport coats last spring for under $150 total. A couple were under $20 and the most we paid for one was a little over $50. Obviously, these aren't high end sport coats, but they were all around $200+ regular price.

I bought a few of my coats from Dillard's outlet store in Eastgate. I got a couple name brand coats (Polo/Ralph Lauren) for around $120 each, which were regularly priced at over $500.

I am not knocking suits from JC Penny's, Men's Warehouse, etc. but there is a stark contrast in the quality and fit between those and a men's clothing store that does a custom suit. I can spot the difference in a second.

I'm too vain to go with the value suit route and dress up frequently, but go with what you are comfortable with. A nice, traditional black suit can withstand the test of time and last you 10+ years. So there is value in it. With a standard black you can mix and match countless of outfits.

I am not knocking suits from JC Penny's, Men's Warehouse, etc. but there is a stark contrast in the quality and fit between those and a men's clothing store that does a custom suit. I can spot the difference in a second.

I'm too vain to go with the value suit route and dress up frequently, but go with what you are comfortable with. A nice, traditional black suit can withstand the test of time and last you 10+ years. So there is value in it. With a standard black you can mix and match countless of outfits.

Stores you buy suits at?

I don't doubt what you're saying. I'm just not sure I can justify paying big money for a suit that I'll only wear, maybe once a year. Couple that with my ever expanding and contracting waistline, an expensive, custom suit that I'll need to get tailored every year because I can't maintain a consistent weight, just isn't in the cards for me. If I wore a suit more often, I likely would have a few really nice suits.

I don't doubt what you're saying. I'm just not sure I can justify paying big money for a suit that I'll only wear, maybe once a year. Couple that with my ever expanding and contracting waistline, an expensive, custom suit that I'll need to get tailored every year because I can't maintain a consistent weight, just isn't in the cards for me. If I wore a suit more often, I likely would have a few really nice suits.

Sounds like a good reason to get and stay in shape, and I don't mean round :D

But yes, that is a concern.

Sounds like a good reason to get and stay in shape, and I don't mean round :D

But yes, that is a concern.

It's an excellent reason. And for me it's not getting in shape that's the issue. It's staying in shape. It seems like I go in and out of shape every 8-12 months. Maybe two suits would be the answer.....a fat suit and a skinny suit. Now I have a reason to go suit shopping.

Depending on how formal you are talking I would advise getting a navy or charcoal suit. Black is fine for very formal events or a funeral but navy or charcoal can be worn to most formal events or everyday use. I would also try to find one without any patterns. Can never go wrong with a solid navy or charcoal suit.

Depending on how formal you are talking I would advise getting a navy or charcoal suit. Black is fine for very formal events or a funeral but navy or charcoal can be worn to most formal events or everyday use. I would also try to find one without any patterns. Can never go wrong with a solid navy or charcoal suit.

I'm a big proponent of Navy suits instead of black. I think they lend themselves to much more variety.

Suites are less and less for business anymore. You need two suits even without business need - your wedding suite and your funeral suite. Sorry to be stark about it.

Funeral suite should be very dark charcoal or black. If any stripe it should be subtle.

Wedding suite - what ever looks good. Especially in summer and spring.

And every man should have a solid blue sport coat for the semi-formal events. Toss in a tweed to go with jeans at Keeneland.