Buying a Suit

TTS_JF

I get suits custom tailored now but always liked what I got front Dillard’s in years past pretty well. Have never bought a single thing from Joseph A. Bank that was worth a darn but they were what I could afford my first couple years out of law school.

I’m 6’4” and around 260. Custom tailoring changed my life. Look a hundred times better in wedding photos and at work. Have four custom suits and two sport coats from the same company now and I won’t hesitate to buy another one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suites are less and less for business anymore. You need two suits even without business need - your wedding suite and your funeral suite. Sorry to be stark about it.

Funeral suite should be very dark charcoal or black. If any stripe it should be subtle.

Wedding suite - what ever looks good. Especially in summer and spring.

And every man should have a solid blue sport coat for the semi-formal events. Toss in a tweed to go with jeans at Keeneland.

Why would anyone care what they wear for their own funeral? :idunno:

Why would anyone care what they wear for their own funeral? :idunno:

Well was thinking more of family members funerals - and your own - eventually. Its hard to think of these events but you do want a formal suite when its your mother or father, etc. passing on.

And I do think the saying goes - you do need to have 'the suite they are going to bury you in'.

Maybe I am just thinking about it too much as I do not have that suite. i have half a dozen business suites from early in the career. Blue pin-stripe, brown, light grey. But do not have the 'suite they will bury me in' right now.

Well was thinking more of family members funerals - and your own - eventually. Its hard to think of these events but you do want a formal suite when its your mother or father, etc. passing on.

And I do think the saying goes - you do need to have 'the suite they are going to bury you in'.

Maybe I am just thinking about it too much as I do not have that suite. i have half a dozen business suites from early in the career. Blue pin-stripe, brown, light grey. But do not have the 'suite they will bury me in' right now.

An aside, my dad was buried in his favorite kahki cargo pants and his favorite polo, a resort logo polo from where I work. My family is the "clean jeans is dressed up" kind of family. My boss and 3 co-workers made the almost 3 hour trip to the visitation, showing up on suits. To say they stood out is an understatement. And then I had to explain how our resort logo apparel was considered "burial attire'. Let's just say that they now know "from whence I came". :lol2:

An aside, my dad was buried in his favorite kahki cargo pants and his favorite polo, a resort logo polo from where I work. My family is the "clean jeans is dressed up" kind of family. My boss and 3 co-workers made the almost 3 hour trip to the visitation, showing up on suits. To say they stood out is an understatement. And then I had to explain how our resort logo apparel was considered "burial attire'. Let's just say that they now know "from whence I came". :lol2:

I have been to a visitation, along with a couple of weddings, where I was pretty much the only one wearing a suit. The one wedding was REALLY casual. After we sat down, my wife said that other people probably thought I was the minister. :lol2:

I have been to a visitation, along with a couple of weddings, where I was pretty much the only one wearing a suit. The one wedding was REALLY casual. After we sat down, my wife said that other people probably thought I was the minister. :lol2:

I went to a wedding over the summer. It was hot so I didn’t wear my tie into church. I felt like I was out of place even with a jacket on. I put the tie on before going to the reception.

I do think funerals are becoming more casual as well as some weddings.

I ended up buying a suit Saturday morning at JC Penney in Fayette Mall. The salesman was super helpful, and I ended up saving over $200 by using a JCP charge card and then paying it off right then.

I ended up going with a gray suit, after trying on black and blue as well. I'm thinking sometime in the near future about buying a higher dollar suit, but for the time being this will get me through.