Buying a Suit

TTS_JF

Nothing feels better than throwing on a pretty nice suit that was custom tailored. I feel like an absolute stud in mine. Don't get to wear them often, but man, it's a different level than the Kohl's suits or whatever I've worn in the past.

Even if you don't wear it often, in my opinion, a suit is one thing I'll spend some money on now that I'm a little older and have it. Gotta get some nice shoes too. One time expense, but if taken care of, can last a long time.

It’s definitely a get what you pay for type thing. Nothing like putting on a suit tailored just for you. It definitely is a different feeling, but I know some people who laugh at the notion that clothes can make you feel any different.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother went to men’s warehouse and liked what he got. Anyone ever go that route? I have a couple off the rack suits and one custom made while I was in Hong Kong. It was Dirt cheap. All of my dress shirts are now custom fit from there as well. Really makes a difference.

My favorite suit is a hand me down from a local celebrity. Man it is nice. Came from Switzerland I think. I think he lies about his height and weight.

Also, I do mostly sport jackets. If you get a suit, pick up 2 pair of the slacks that go with it.

It’s definitely a get what you pay for type thing. Nothing like putting on a suit tailored just for you. It definitely is a different feeling, but I know some people who laugh at the notion that clothes can make you feel any different.

I used to be one of them until I bought two pretty nice suits haha!

My brother went to men’s warehouse and liked what he got. Anyone ever go that route? I have a couple off the rack suits and one custom made while I was in Hong Kong. It was Dirt cheap. All of my dress shirts are now custom fit from there as well. Really makes a difference.

My favorite suit is a hand me down from a local celebrity. Man it is nice. Came from Switzerland I think. I think he lies about his height and weight.

Also, I do mostly sport jackets. If you get a suit, pick up 2 pair of the slacks that go with it.

Absolutely agree on the two pairs of pants. I wear a suit at least three days a week and it has come up huge.

Very timely thread. I have to go to NYC this weekend for our annual show. Always hated this show since we have to wear a suit. It's the only place for work I still have to wear the suit. President just sent an email and said 'leave the suits and ties at home, but also leave the jeans at home'. Loving it!!

Men’s Warehouse is a mess, at least the one in BG is.

Dillard’s IMO is the best bet if you’re looking to spend $300-500 and getting something that feels nice. I got some Hart Schaffner Marx pants from there that feel like pajamas when I wear them. Same can be said for the suits. The more you spend the nicer material inside and out. If you plan to wear it quite a bit, I’d go that route. If you just need one for certain occasions, I’d try one of the places mentioned above.

I know it just passed but Dillard’s has a huge sale, including suits 50% off on New Years Day.

For years I bought my suits at Macy's. I went to the better store locations and they had nice suits altered to fit you. They had brands that were store brands (not labeled Macy's but brands made specifically for sale at Macy's) which were nice quality for the price - usually in the $300 range on sale. Unfortunately, the last couple times I went the store custom brand was not there anymore and I did not like what they had available. I shopped around and eventually bought at Men's Warehouse because they had a couple suits that were ok and a 2 for 1 deal. I paid a little more for suits I liked a little less but for that $300-400 on sale range suit that was the best I could find.

Thanks all I'm going to cut out of work a little early on Thursday and probably head to Lexington. I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm thinking probably lower end since I'll only be wearing it for a few events here and there.

On the plus side I talked my dad into riding with me, so I've got a little experience with me.