BluegrassPreps.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (2/12/18) Discussion

Okay @Cardsrule1972, here is a look at Walton-Verona and Collins as of February 13th:

Collins 0-4 versus Top 20 opponents. Included in that is a 31 point loss to Ballard.

W-V is 2-3 versus Top 20 opponents (which doesn't include a ROAD win at Campbell Co., who was ranked at the time of that game). Included in that is a 13 point loss to Ballard.

They have played 7 common opponents:

Collins is 4-3 with a total scoring margin of 29 points (4.14 per game).

Walton-Verona is 6-2 with a a total scoring margin of 62 points (7.75 per game).

Collins is 7-2 within the region, including a 3 point home loss to Oldham Co.

W-V is 10-1 within the region, including a 2 point road loss to Oldham Co.

You reference the football players missing when Collins dropped an 11 point game to Gallatin Co., but don't reference W-V has played nearly all of their season missing a HUGE piece of their puzzle. Even with that, they have two wins over Gallatin Co. by 20 and 4.

This will all be sorted out on the court, as it should be, but you can't honestly look at these two resumes and say that Collins has had the better year, nor is the better team "on paper".

O.K. first off--how can you mention a player that never played the whole year as that being a factor. They never played and aren't going to play. Do you know how many teams can say "what if" about players. Unfortunately that kid was hurt all year and will not play this year. Secondly, out of the 10 wins that WV has in the region 7 of them are against the following Eminence, Owen, Carroll, Williamstown, Grant, Trimble, Anderson. Check out the records of those teams. I believe WV has played the most bottom feeders out of anybody in the 8th.

When I look at the actual GOOD teams that they have both played it becomes pretty clear who the better team is: Collins played several of the top teams in the 6th region (best region in KY). Last week a overtime loss to Doss (number 7 in the state). We could go on and on, but I think Collins wins 7 out of 10.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cov Cath appears to clicking on all cylinders right now. Their game vs. Madison Central could be eye-opening as both teams are very very good. It's going to take a total team effort to beat CCH right now but never say never. The 9th is pretty strong but CCH is still the leader. Cooper is starting to get it's stride back on the defensive end and Newport could be a wild-card as they get really streaky and could be the team that surprises several teams. Just my opinion.

O.K. first off--how can you mention a player that never played the whole year as that being a factor. They never played and aren't going to play. Do you know how many teams can say "what if" about players. Unfortunately that kid was hurt all year and will not play this year. Secondly, out of the 10 wins that WV has in the region 7 of them are against the following Eminence, Owen, Carroll, Williamstown, Grant, Trimble, Anderson. Check out the records of those teams. I believe WV has played the most bottom feeders out of anybody in the 8th.

When I look at the actual GOOD teams that they have both played it becomes pretty clear who the better team is: Collins played several of the top teams in the 6th region (best region in KY). Last week a overtime loss to Doss (number 7 in the state). We could go on and on, but I think Collins wins 7 out of 10.

In what world is the 6th region the best region in KY?

I don't know maybe this world. Three of the top 8 teams in this poll come from the 6th region. Anybody that follows basketball knows how deep that region is from top to bottom. The middle of that region would be top of most.

I think the 11th region would say "Hold my beer". 4 in the top 11. 5 in the top 20. And that isnt including Lexington Catholic which has been a topic of debate on this same thread.

Top to bottom the 11th is much tougher. There are 6 or 8 teams in the 42nd and 43rd district alone that play tougher schedules than Collins just because its required of them.

O.K. first off--how can you mention a player that never played the whole year as that being a factor. They never played and aren't going to play.

Walton-Verona made their schedule expecting him to play. They've played that schedule without him and have done quite well.

Based on my rankings the teams have the following results:

Team A:

3-4 vs top 25

17-0 vs the rest of the state.

Team B:

0-5 vs top 25

18-3 vs the rest of the state.

Seems pretty simple to me that Team A (Walton-Verona) has a better resume.