Poorest Officiating Ever?

MJAlltheWay24

Finally getting a chance to watch it.

When I saw the teams playing I thought the officiating crew would have been 3 guys I had never heard of. That's not the case. The guy that popped Boykins is Gerry Pollard. Pollard is a veteran official who has worked multiple Final Fours.

With that said, I don't get this call at all. My referee buddies asked if I saw the first technical. I said I hadn't but it didn't matter.

Terrible call by a veteran official. Too bad it cost Boykins.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally getting a chance to watch it.

When I saw the teams playing I thought the officiating crew would have been 3 guys I had never heard of. That's not the case. The guy that popped Boykins is Gerry Pollard. Pollard is a veteran official who has worked multiple Final Fours.

With that said, I don't get this call at all. My referee buddies asked if I saw the first technical. I said I hadn't but it didn't matter.

Terrible call by a veteran official. Too bad it cost Boykins.

The 1st one was worse than the second...

I didn't recognize his name so I went to the Big Blue History site and he's worked six Kentucky games, four of which took place in the NCAA Tournament. He assessed a technical to Anthony Davis for hanging on the rim against Western Kentucky and was part of the crew who gave the technical to Issac Humphries for slamming the ball down against Texas A&M. Seems like a bit of a reactionary official.

Gerry Pollard - Officiated Kentucky Games

Did the player say something?

I don't know, but neither does that ref. The player's back was to the ref (did you watch the clip?), and the ref who dinged him was at least 30 feet away. Not to mention, and I haven't seen this posted, but it was one of the quickest technicals I've ever seen assessed. There is no way that was for hanging on the rim, which he didn't do, but given where he was and the player's position, no other explanation would be plausible.

A shame.

I don't know, but neither does that ref. The player's back was to the ref (did you watch the clip?), and the ref who dinged him was at least 30 feet away. Not to mention, and I haven't seen this posted, but it was one of the quickest technicals I've ever seen assessed. There is no way that was for hanging on the rim, which he didn't do, but given where he was and the player's position, no other explanation would be plausible.

A shame.

It wasnt the ref that was looking right at him in the video, hes watching his every move, thats why I asked if he said anything to get the T.

A shame.

To be clear we may be watching different videos, I can see the ones posted here at work. The one I saw I googled.

A shame.

One other explanation is that the official took issue with Boykins glancing in the general direction of the defensive player. He couldn't see what Boykins was looking at, but the head was turned toward the defender. Not definitive enough for me.

Had the lead official got him, maybe I have less of an issue with this, but nothing there seemed to warrant a T.

Ok Ive now seen the twitter video in the OP. (BTW not the same ref as my post earlier.)

The player got off the court so fast I have to think he said something to trigger this.

I think he got off the court so fast to avoid doing something stupid out of anger. He knew it was a ridiculous call.