Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Poorest Officiating Ever?

Featured Replies

Finally getting a chance to watch it.

When I saw the teams playing I thought the officiating crew would have been 3 guys I had never heard of. That's not the case. The guy that popped Boykins is Gerry Pollard. Pollard is a veteran official who has worked multiple Final Fours.

With that said, I don't get this call at all. My referee buddies asked if I saw the first technical. I said I hadn't but it didn't matter.

Terrible call by a veteran official. Too bad it cost Boykins.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally getting a chance to watch it.

When I saw the teams playing I thought the officiating crew would have been 3 guys I had never heard of. That's not the case. The guy that popped Boykins is Gerry Pollard. Pollard is a veteran official who has worked multiple Final Fours.

With that said, I don't get this call at all. My referee buddies asked if I saw the first technical. I said I hadn't but it didn't matter.

Terrible call by a veteran official. Too bad it cost Boykins.

 

The 1st one was worse than the second...

When I saw the teams playing I thought the officiating crew would have been 3 guys I had never heard of. That's not the case. The guy that popped Boykins is Gerry Pollard. Pollard is a veteran official who has worked multiple Final Fours.

 

I didn't recognize his name so I went to the Big Blue History site and he's worked six Kentucky games, four of which took place in the NCAA Tournament. He assessed a technical to Anthony Davis for hanging on the rim against Western Kentucky and was part of the crew who gave the technical to Issac Humphries for slamming the ball down against Texas A&M. Seems like a bit of a reactionary official.

 

Gerry Pollard - Officiated Kentucky Games

Did the player say something?

I don't know, but neither does that ref. The player's back was to the ref (did you watch the clip?), and the ref who dinged him was at least 30 feet away. Not to mention, and I haven't seen this posted, but it was one of the quickest technicals I've ever seen assessed. There is no way that was for hanging on the rim, which he didn't do, but given where he was and the player's position, no other explanation would be plausible.

 

A shame.

I don't know, but neither does that ref. The player's back was to the ref (did you watch the clip?), and the ref who dinged him was at least 30 feet away. Not to mention, and I haven't seen this posted, but it was one of the quickest technicals I've ever seen assessed. There is no way that was for hanging on the rim, which he didn't do, but given where he was and the player's position, no other explanation would be plausible.

 

A shame.

 

It wasnt the ref that was looking right at him in the video, hes watching his every move, thats why I asked if he said anything to get the T.

I don't know, but neither does that ref. The player's back was to the ref (did you watch the clip?), and the ref who dinged him was at least 30 feet away. Not to mention, and I haven't seen this posted, but it was one of the quickest technicals I've ever seen assessed. There is no way that was for hanging on the rim, which he didn't do, but given where he was and the player's position, no other explanation would be plausible.

 

A shame.

 

To be clear we may be watching different videos, I can see the ones posted here at work. The one I saw I googled.

I don't know, but neither does that ref. The player's back was to the ref (did you watch the clip?), and the ref who dinged him was at least 30 feet away. Not to mention, and I haven't seen this posted, but it was one of the quickest technicals I've ever seen assessed. There is no way that was for hanging on the rim, which he didn't do, but given where he was and the player's position, no other explanation would be plausible.

 

A shame.

 

One other explanation is that the official took issue with Boykins glancing in the general direction of the defensive player. He couldn't see what Boykins was looking at, but the head was turned toward the defender. Not definitive enough for me.

 

Had the lead official got him, maybe I have less of an issue with this, but nothing there seemed to warrant a T.

Ok Ive now seen the twitter video in the OP. (BTW not the same ref as my post earlier.)

 

The player got off the court so fast I have to think he said something to trigger this.

Ok Ive now seen the twitter video in the OP. (BTW not the same ref as my post earlier.)

 

The player got off the court so fast I have to think he said something to trigger this.

 

I think he got off the court so fast to avoid doing something stupid out of anger. He knew it was a ridiculous call.

It absolutely is.

 

I saw nothing to warrant a warning let alone a technical. Maybe I’m missing that part in the rules.

Both T's were flat out ridiculous. I love the line on the first one..."he roughed the ball"...classic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.