Open Job: Bowling Green

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only really heard Spader. But I don't live there anymore, but hear from those still there on occasion.

I still feel it would be the best route to hire a bigger named offensive coach to be the new Head Coach and keep Coach Spader on as DC as long as he wants to be there and when he chooses to head back to the AD spot only, you don't have to go through this again. Maybe I'm crazy...

I've only really heard Spader. But I don't live there anymore, but hear from those still there on occasion.

I still feel it would be the best route to hire a bigger named offensive coach to be the new Head Coach and keep Coach Spader on as DC as long as he wants to be there and when he chooses to head back to the AD spot only, you don't have to go through this again. Maybe I'm crazy...

I've never understood the concept of hiring a "big name" coach. I'm not sure what that even means. I know high quality coaches at smaller programs who don't have a "big name." They've taken small, un-athletic teams and won ball games. Do they win state titles? No. But they're pretty dang good coaches. Just because people around the state know your name, it doesn't mean you are the best person for a particular job.

For example, maybe you have a coach who played in college or the NFL and everyone knows their name, it does NOT correlate to successfully coaching high school kids.

Schools should hire who they feel are most qualified for the job and to lead their young men. They need to stop getting caught up in the hype of a "big hire."

I've never understood the concept of hiring a "big name" coach. I'm not sure what that even means. I know high quality coaches at smaller programs who don't have a "big name." They've taken small, un-athletic teams and won ball games. Do they win state titles? No. But they're pretty dang good coaches. Just because people around the state know your name, it doesn't mean you are the best person for a particular job.

For example, maybe you have a coach who played in college or the NFL and everyone knows their name, it does NOT correlate to successfully coaching high school kids.

Schools should hire who they feel are most qualified for the job and to lead their young men. They need to stop getting caught up in the hype of a "big hire."

See the bold... We are talking apples and oranges... I want to win more than I lose. BG has through their efforts since Coach Wallace arrived put themselves over several others by their deeds. Now is the time to utilize that simply put.

Why did Alabama hire Nick Saban in the first place? (And I'm not saying BG is Alabama, but I am saying they are not Fulton County either - no disrespect meant but you gotta pick somebody to call out) Because they thought he was the best person for the job and thought he could win games and championships based upon his track record (already won a championship at LSU by the time he got to Bama).

I realize High School and College are different venues and ball, but selecting the best person for the job that can also win games and championships is what I meant. Maybe saying "bigger named coach" was misguided. What I meant was what I just said above. BG has earned the right to pursue the best coach they can get. I am of the opinion that that would include the names of football coaches that most people on this board would recognize.

I also think just because a coach goes into Fulton County and turns them around doesn't mean they are a good candidate to continue coaching objectives at Bowling Green, no real disrespect meant, but some candidates would be appropriate for this job and others simply are not, even though they might be good people.

BG is at a unique point in time where they have only had 2 coaches in over 20 years. You don't want the wheels to come off by handing the reigns over to someone who (although he may be a good person and you like him personally) is not qualified for the job. Period.

BG is at a unique point in time where they have only had 2 coaches in over 20 years. You don't want the wheels to come off by handing the reigns over to someone who (although he may be a good person and you like him personally) is not qualified for the job. Period.

I want to clarify here. When I said this, I was NOT talking about Coach Spader.

I consider Coach Spader an "elite" Defensive Coordinator based upon his work that has already produced championships.

IMO, the reason BG has worked so well during the Coach Wallace era is that Coach only had to focus on offense, while Coach Spader focused on the defense.

Not what I've been told at all. Very big to do within the BG community from what I've heard.

I can’t stop people from over dramatizing a situation and crying about it on Facebook. Fact of the matter is that Brandon Smith and the SW administration dealt with the players, issued formal apologies and cleaned up the locker room. There isn’t a single person connected to BGHS that can say a thing about students vandalizing another school’s property.

I want to clarify here. When I said this, I was NOT talking about Coach Spader.

I consider Coach Spader an "elite" Defensive Coordinator based upon his work that has already produced championships.

IMO, the reason BG has worked so well during the Coach Wallace era is that Coach only had to focus on offense, while Coach Spader focused on the defense.

I'm assuming if Coach Spader takes over at BG he will continue to coach the defense and will assign/hire someone to focus on the offense. Same difference.

I'm sure BG will take their time and do a thorough search.

I can’t stop people from over dramatizing a situation and crying about it on Facebook. Fact of the matter is that Brandon Smith and the SW administration dealt with the players, issued formal apologies and cleaned up the locker room. There isn’t a single person connected to BGHS that can say a thing about students vandalizing another school’s property.

Not talking about facebook at all, talking about people close to the situation at BG.