Top 9th Region POY Candidates

Just a question, does playing with Big Jake help or hurt CJ's game ?

Helps his game IMO....focus on the big and it creates opportunities for CJ. I think the fact that Ruthsatz has blossomed as a playmaker/scorer might be why CJ's attempts are not as high as Kunkel's. Those 3 guys are a nice triangle to have going into any game.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question even though you're underestimating Cooper's talent.

Let me flip it around on you. If he had as much perceived talent as CovCath does would he put up as many shots and average as many points. Goes both ways.

Good point. but we will never know.

The way they are play right now, if I was starting a team, I would pick Adam over CJ if I could only have one of them. better all around player, IMO.

Just a question, does playing with Big Jake help or hurt CJ's game ?

I would say CJ's game hurts Jakes game, more than Jakes game hurts CJ's game. CCH is primarily a guard scoring focused team. The don't use Jake as much as they probably should at times.

But I also understand that CCH strengths are running the offense through CJ and Ruthsatz who have both played really well this year. Both shoot really good percentage from the field.

I really don't think either one hurts the others game. I think I'm the grand scene of things the help each other. CJ can stretch the defense. Jake can draw a lot of attention inside.

Edited by kyrebel

If we’re talking about the talent surrounding them, depth of roster, do Burries and Hall have to do more for their teams than CJ and AK?

Burries:

Pts/gm: 23

Rebs/gm: 7

3FG%: 36%

FT%: 75%

Hall:

Pts/gm: 25

Rebs/gm: 3

3FG%: 39

FT%: 84

Would these guy say be able to perform at the supposed level of AK and CJ if they were in those teams? Could they be even better?

Someone else mentioned strength of schedule, could these two, Hall and Burries, perform at just as high of a level against that competition?

If we’re talking about the talent surrounding them, depth of roster, do Burries and Hall have to do more for their teams than CJ and AK?

Burries:

Pts/gm: 23

Rebs/gm: 7

3FG%: 36%

FT%: 75%

Hall:

Pts/gm: 25

Rebs/gm: 3

3FG%: 39

FT%: 84

Would these guy say be able to perform at the supposed level of AK and CJ if they were in those teams? Could they be even better?

Someone else mentioned strength of schedule, could these two, Hall and Burries, perform at just as high of a level against that competition?

Great questions and I do not have a dog in the hunt not being from the 9th. I do however put a lot of stock in where kids are recruited to play. AK and CJ were both recruited with many D1 scholarship offers. The other two are likely going to end up with D2 offers. All that means is their respective games translate at the next level to different divisions. D1 > D2 obviously. As far as high school players and POY, does that really matter? If POY equals highest ceiling at the next level then CJ & AK are far and away the frontrunners. If it is most valuable to your team then you can make a case for them each. The catch 22 when you play with more talented players around you is that you saturate your production with other players also getting their fair share. If you are the lone wolf, your stats will be influenced because your team needs you to be ball dominate.

I look for a blend and it starts with being a winner. Do you make your team a winner at a high level. It starts there with me and AK & CJ have the leg up there with playing on the best teams. THey each are the dominant player on their team, but AK really does not have any other players like CJ does that shares the spotlight. POY is just an award that has no defined criteria, you just get a feel for who deserves it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great questions and I do not have a dog in the hunt not being from the 9th. I do however put a lot of stock in where kids are recruited to play. AK and CJ were both recruited with many D1 scholarship offers. The other two are likely going to end up with D2 offers. All that means is their respective games translate at the next level to different divisions. D1 > D2 obviously. As far as high school players and POY, does that really matter? If POY equals highest ceiling at the next level then CJ & AK are far and away the frontrunners. If it is most valuable to your team then you can make a case for them each. The catch 22 when you play with more talented players around you is that you saturate your production with other players also getting their fair share. If you are the lone wolf, your stats will be influenced because your team needs you to be ball dominate.

I look for a blend and it starts with being a winner. Do you make your team a winner at a high level. It starts there with me and AK & CJ have the leg up there with playing on the best teams. THey each are the dominant player on their team, but AK really does not have any other players like CJ does that shares the spotlight. POY is just an award that has no defined criteria, you just get a feel for who deserves it.

The other side of that coin is if you don't have as many talented players around you the opposing coach need only to devise defensive plans around that player. Which makes scoring more difficult for that player. A "lone" wolf as you say would have to put up with box in one's/face guarding/double and sometimes triple teams from the other team. A person on a talented team more than likely won't have to encounter the other teams wrath as it pertains to defenses, because of the other players around him being able to score. I guess a couple of ways to look at that point.

I'm thinking co-players of the year, AK and CJ.

I think that you nailed probably the best case scenario. James Bolden and Drew McDonald both shared the award in 2015, so it's certainly not out of the question. I'd be fine with it coming down to that as they are both unquestionably deserving.

Personally, I don't think either player gives a darn who wins this award. This is a "fans" debate. Both players are seniors, both players want an opportunity at another trip to Rupp to play for another State title. I can't speak for CJ since I don't know him but I do know AK I can tell you he will give up every personal award for another shot at the title. There is much basketball to be played and each player is the leader of their respective teams so my hope is 1. everyone from all teams remain healthy 2. great district and regional games are played and finally 3. The winner of the 9th Region brings home another title.