Top 9th Region POY Candidates

Starting the last week of the regular season.

Scoring: CJ 22.4 AK 20.6

FG % CJ 57 (223/390) AK 50 (160/322)

3 PT FG % CJ 49 AK 47

FT % CJ 83 AK 81

Rebounds AK 7.6 CJ 3.4

It will be an interesting vote.

These stats are close. If i had to pick one, i would go with CJ but also support Co MVPs.

Do you have Assists and total points??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think either player gives a darn who wins this award. This is a "fans" debate. Both players are seniors, both players want an opportunity at another trip to Rupp to play for another State title. I can't speak for CJ since I don't know him but I do know AK I can tell you he will give up every personal award for another shot at the title. There is much basketball to be played and each player is the leader of their respective teams so my hope is 1. everyone from all teams remain healthy 2. great district and regional games are played and finally 3. The winner of the 9th Region brings home another title.

That's all well and good, but every year come hell or high water there's still an award given away, and because of the interest in it, year in and year out a thread of this nature is started to follow it.

I get where these two gentlemen presently have bigger eggs to fry than any self-serving award that will single them out, but all said and done it's still a very nice honor, and don't think for one minute that 10 years down the road when the winner or winners are decorating their man cave they won't be feeling pretty good to be able to position this award as one of the more eye catching centerpieces, and no doubt with hopes that it sits alongside of the words "State Champs".

That's all well and good, but every year come hell or high water there's still an award given away, and because of the interest in it, year in and year out a thread of this nature is started to follow it.

I get where these two gentlemen presently have bigger eggs to fry than any self-serving award that will single them out, but all said and done it's still a very nice honor, and don't think for one minute that 10 years down the road when the winner or winners are decorating their man cave they won't be feeling pretty good to be able to position this award as one of the more eye catching centerpieces, and no doubt with hopes that it sits alongside of the words "State Champs".

Maybe maybe not. Again, won’t speak for these players but I still would venture that these players value the ultimate prize. My son was POY in football, 2 time All-State selection with a State Semi-finalist trophy, along with 2 Defensive POY awards in basketball with a State Runner-up trophy and to this day he’ll tell me the only ones that mattered most was his team accomplishments. These individual awards are great but 10 years from now most players care about how their team finished. Just my opinion.

I believe it is a coach vote and I also believe your thought process is not offbase.

Unfortunate as heck for a deserving young man, if that comes to fruition.

Both are fine players, and appear to be great young men. Both have had wonderful careers, and both have earned a free education. My understanding is there is a lot of mutual respect between the two.

The only thing that slowed Kunkel down a little was a broken nose and being hampered by having to wear a protective mask until he started getting used to it. Any player whether it be high school, college, or pro would be hampered by it also until they got acclimated to wearing one. By the way, Kunkel is playing at a high level himself. Believe he dropped 32 on Dixie tonight.

Maybe maybe not. Again, won’t speak for these players but I still would venture that these players value the ultimate prize. My son was POY in football, 2 time All-State selection with a State Semi-finalist trophy, along with 2 Defensive POY awards in basketball with a State Runner-up trophy and to this day he’ll tell me the only ones that mattered most was his team accomplishments. These individual awards are great but 10 years from now most players care about how their team finished. Just my opinion.

Congratulations...sounds like your boy has all the makings of a well decorated man cave himself. If the awards he earned on individual accomplishments prove to be too much insignificant dust collecting clutter I'm sure that his dad wouldn't mind beefing up his own man cave with them. :D

All kidding aside, it's very honorable of an athlete to be a team first player, and I completely get where you're coming from. My focus was more so in that while this is likely the case with these two young men, the award itself is quite the honor, and one that year after year is highly anticipated by fans and athletes alike.

Anyway you slice it, it's still a big deal.

First, I'm with BBF .... That individual POY award means something ..... If it goes along with a state championship, fantastic icing on the cake. If not, still pretty good consolation for even the most selfless team player. I don't have a problem with some kids not getting a ribbon, and I don't have a problem with kids striving to be the POY, unless obviously it is at the cost of team success.

That being said, as much as I like Kunkel and everything he has accomplished, Fredrick has put up ridiculous numbers the last month or so ..... Near 60 percent behind the arc, and no one has come close to CCH.

If it comes down to a Cooper-CCH regional final again, I'd be okay with factoring their performances in that game into the mix. Short of that, gotta be Fredrick.