Going For 2 To Start A Running Clock - State Championship Edition

Is going for 2 to start a running clock in the state finals "classless"?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is going for 2 to start a running clock in the state finals "classless"?

• Yes, it's absolutely classless.
    • It isn't classless, but I wouldn't choose to do it.
    • No, it isn't classless.
    • Other (Please Explain In The Thread)

Was once seated behind a Visiting Team bench during a first round 1 seed vs 4 seed game (so no one was there) and the visiting team coach was going nuts because the Home team went for 2 up 34-0 ....................with 5 minutes to go in the second quarter. Yelled to his players they were being disrespected. When Home team failed on the 2 point try due to a dropped pass he implored his team that this was the start of their comeback for being disrespected so badly!! They promptly fumbled the kickoff on their own 18 yard line and 1 play later it was 40-0 running clock. Ended 47-6.

In no way was it classless. To MadSouth’s credit they continued to fight dispute the lopsided score late into the third quarter. As a coaching staff and players you have to keep your foot on the gas until you feel the win is secured. The running clock helps the winning team do just that. I believe the CovCath coaching staff have shown all season long they are not the type of program that is going to add insult to injury by running up the score on an obvious win. In every game that resulted in a running clock they pulled their starters in a reasonable time thereafter and called off the dawgs. There were many games where they could have named the score and didn’t. To me that showed a lot of class and integrity of the coaches and staff running the team and program.

It depends on the team you are playing. If Trinity is playing Seneca or J-Town don't do it, you'll get there anyway. If you're playing a team that capable of coming back from a 35 point deficit, and I would argue that most likely a team in the championship game is capable, then you do it because the team won't get enough touches to comeback.

Didn't LexCath lose an opening game to St. X a few years back after opting not to go for 2 and a running clock late in the first half only to see X storm back and beat them in the second half?

Didn't LexCath lose an opening game to St. X a few years back after opting not to go for 2 and a running clock late in the first half only to see X storm back and beat them in the second half?

Lexington Catholic was up 28-0 before St. Xavier made the huge run. There was never a point where the running clock was in position to be in play, although the big comeback shows why you should absolutely finish a team if given the chance.

Down 28-