First possible snow accumulations of 2017-18 winter?

nWo

As I've been watching parts of Kentucky may receive it's first accumulation of snow the second weekend of December. A front looks to pass through Kentucky on Wednesday bringing with a chance for rain. Temps could drop from the mid 40s to upper 20s by Thursday morning. The highs look to range from the upper 30s in western parts of the state to low 30s east of I-65 for Friday. Friday evening a clipper system looks to pass through Kentucky overnight bringing with it a chance for some light accumulations. Saturday morning lows will struggle to get above 20 degrees. The chance for light accumulations looks is mainly east of I-65. For now looks like .5 to 1-inch total accumulation is possible.

Is this the start of a snowy December? Check back for updates.

snku_acc.us_ov.png

128-nodither.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick note. The GFS is showing from December 6-12 how much snow we may get. As always we are too far out for a definitive call on snow accumulations. This is just to give a heads up to everyone. Keep checking back for updates.

snod.us_ov.png

Here's what the latest GFS is showing for the start of next weekend 12/8. The first one shows the low-pressure system that could usher in the first accumulating snow for most of Kentucky. As of tonight, the system looks to pass just north of Kentucky. As everyone can see if the system takes a more southerly track and holds to what the GFS is showing some could be looking at some significant snow accumulations.

low.gif

This map shows how the snow might progress from 7 am EST Friday morning to 7 am EST Saturday morning.

preciptype.gif

Now this one shows the possible snow accumulations for the same time period.

snowaccumulation.gif

This final one will show the possible bitter cold after the systems passes by Kentucky. Might be a Brass Monkey alert issued if this holds true.

Keeping checking back for updates. Next one maybe sometime tomorrow. I'm glad I just upgraded my attic insulation!

temp.gif

The Climate Prediction Center in their 8-14 day Hazards Outlook has western Indiana all Of Ohio and parts of northern/northeastern Kentucky with a chance of snow next weekend. Also, the same areas have a moderate chance of below normal temperatures.

This mornings GFS run has the clipper system that is projected to give us a chance of snow taking a more southerly track. I want to wait and see if this trend continues before I post anything. One thing of note I'm still watching the time period of the 15th. We could have something brewing again then.

Here are the 8-14 Hazards Outlook maps to show what I've been watching for next weekend. Keep checking back for updates.

Snow

hazards_d8_14_contours.png

Temperatures

probhazards_d8_14_contours.png

One thing I neglected to mention is that the GFS, CFS and Canadian GDPS models are now all showing some winter event for the weekend of the 9th. There is a difference though in track and possible snow accumulations. So keep checking back for updates.

Quick Saturday evening update. As of now, it looks like most of the snow could fall between 7 pm EST Friday night and 7 am EST Saturday morning. Here is the latest 12 hour total accumulated snowfall map. Keep checking back for updates.

snku_012h.us_ov.png