Pioneer Spirit - SKs Rise From Tragedy to Glory In '81

I agree it is a pretty good story, but let's not get carried away saying it would be a better movie than Hoosiers.

The story is way better than Hoosiers, if this would have been made first it wouldn't even be a contest. The kids school exploded while they were in it and then again after they evacuated and the firefighters were working. One student died in the explosion, they had to attend night school at a cross county rival, and had to practice basketball before school, after school, and always at a school that was not theirs. They almost lost in the districts and didn't make it to the region, but somehow pulled out what could be considered one of the greatest games you'll ever see, then followed that up by having the closest state tournament in history by margin of victory.

If this story is made into a movie before Hoosiers, we might not ever see the movie Hoosiers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story is way better than Hoosiers, if this would have been made first it wouldn't even be a contest. The kids school exploded while they were in it and then again after they evacuated and the firefighters were working. One student died in the explosion, they had to attend night school at a cross county rival, and had to practice basketball before school, after school, and always at a school that was not theirs. They almost lost in the districts and didn't make it to the region, but somehow pulled out what could be considered one of the greatest games you'll ever see, then followed that up by having the closest state tournament in history by margin of victory.

If this story is made into a movie before Hoosiers, we might not ever see the movie Hoosiers

I agree. And i know I'm not going to hear the end of this but I honestly think that Hoosiers is overrated.

I agree. And i know I'm not going to hear the end of this but I honestly think that Hoosiers is overrated.

What?? You're crazy!!!

Just joking. It is a good movie, but it can get boring at times. I guess I'd agree that it is overrated because the majority of people I know consider it the best sports movie ever, but personally I think it might not even be in the top 5 or 10.

If the rumors are true and the Pioneer '81 run is being made into a movie, I think it would be extremely difficult for them to get everything in the book and everything from the story into the movie.

Two stories from the past in Kentucky could easily rival the "Hoosiers" story : The Cuba Cubs and Carr Creek Indians championships in the 1950s. Those two small school championships were just as unlikely as Milan's. As a matter of fact, Milan had been highly rated the year before they won their championship, and had made it to the state tournament. They were hardly the big surprise to everyone as is shown in the movie.

Two stories from the past in Kentucky could easily rival the "Hoosiers" story : The Cuba Cubs and Carr Creek Indians championships in the 1950s. Those two small school championships were just as unlikely as Milan's. As a matter of fact, Milan had been highly rated the year before they won their championship, and had made it to the state tournament. They were hardly the big surprise to everyone as is shown in the movie.

Agreed

I've also heard a movie is in the works, very neat stuff, can't wait to get my copy from my mother, she appears on page 101.
Neerfan, I graduated from SK and played sports there under your Dad ,Big Joe, back in the early 70,s. A very fine man, your dad was, he was also quite handy with those wooden paddles of the day and age.

I had the pleasure of him lighting me up ..a time or two. LOL!! I deserved it also. Just wanted to let you know that I remember him big time, a nicer man you would never meet...:thumb: SK all the WAY!!! used to be the chant.

I would hate to have that happen to Augusta, to have to go to Bracken County for all that Practice, Class, ETC I am amazed that they pulled all this through.

I vote for this to be a movie

Simon Kenton all the way

:dancingpa

I just read another article on the book, and it had several interesting andectotes about the story.

--The week of the explosions, October 9, 1980, was Fire Prevention Week.

--The 1980 yearbook, the year before the explosions, had the word 'Exploding' across the cover.

--The ballboy for the team, Doug Pelfrey, became the placekicker for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Interesting.....

Also if Eric Deters doesn't get the script picked up by major film companies he will make an independent film. I like his chances of it getting picked up though especially since people like former UK basketball coach Joe B. Hall are saying things like "I will enjoy the movie. It has to be made."

Here's the article

Anyone know how much does the book cost? Because I want one.:cool:

Hardback - $24.95

I saw it on the shelves at Joseph-Beth Bookseller in Lexington Green today.

I'm sure that it is available locally although I haven't seen it at Krogers or Wal-mart.

I just read another article on the book, and it had several interesting andectotes about the story.

--The week of the explosions, October 9, 1980, was Fire Prevention Week.

--The 1980 yearbook, the year before the explosions, had the word 'Exploding' across the cover.

--The ballboy for the team, Doug Pelfrey, became the placekicker for the Cincinnati Bengals.

That's weird that Doug Pelfrey was the ballboy for SK's team and then graduated from Scott.

His relation (father maybe?) was one of the coaches of the team when they were younger.. I think Pelfrey was supposed to go to SK but all his friends went to Scott, so he followed, it might say that in the book.

I can't keep everything straight between the stories by way of mouth and the book.