Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pioneer Spirit - SKs Rise From Tragedy to Glory In '81

Featured Replies

The book "Pioneer Spirit" - One High School's Rise From Tragedy To Glory written by local attorney, Eric Deters, was released on Monday in a press release/book signing at Simon Kenton High School. All seven of the key members of the 1981 State Champions were in attendence, as was their former coach, Larry Miller.

 

Monday was the 26th Anniversary of the fatal natural gas explosion, followed by a second blast, that occured just before noon on a school day and took the live of a young, aspirant artist named Robert Williams and injured a score of students, teachers and rescue personel.

 

The story traces the aftermath of the disaster, of how the students had to attend Scott High School on a second shift basis, how the band lost their uniforms and marched in street clothes, and how the basketball team that had to practice before school, became the rallying point for the community as a whole.

 

The team went on to dodge some bullets in the 1981 district, regional, and state tournament before emerging as the 9th Region's only state champion.

 

I purchased a copy and have thumbed through it. It brought back a lot of memories of that tragic day as well as the Pioneers run through the post-season culminating with their win over Mason County, played in Rupp Arena before the largest crowd ever to witness a high school game.

 

They had a six minute film associated with the book that I hope everyone gets to see. The book would seem to be a 'must read" for all Northern Kentucky basketball fans. It is supposed to be available starting today at all local book outlets.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a lot of good history and I cant wait for it to hit the Library.

 

I heard Mel Webster is putting together a compilation on NKY high school basketball.... he has always been involved in NKY sports and if anyone can write a book about it he can... cant wait to see if that hits the shelves some day.

  • Author
Sounds like a lot of good history and I cant wait for it to hit the Library.

 

I heard Mel Webster is putting together a compilation on NKY high school basketball.... he has always been involved in NKY sports and if anyone can write a book about it he can... cant wait to see if that hits the shelves some day.

Melvin is and I can guarantee you that it will be COMPLETE!

 

I am in the process of penning the life story of Coach Ken Shields and Melvin is my best source of historical information.

 

I mention a player or request dates, games, or scores and Melvin normally provides the info by return E/Mail.

 

Want to know all about Foxie DeMoissey - took Melvin ten minutes. How about Tom Russell's complete coaching history - ten minutes again.

Stan Arnzen, Bob Vanderpool, and Jim Conner's sports portfolios took until the next morning, but that could have been because I requested it at 3am in the morning.

  • Author

I am presently on Page 120 of "Pioneer Spirit"

 

It is a good read, with many interviews of people who actually lived through the explosion at Simon Kenton High School and the glory ride of the 1980-81 Pioneers.

 

Very heartrending!!!

 

In retrospect it is unfathomable that only one student (Robert Willams) tragically lost his life. The event was so near-total catastrophic that it is fortunate that the entire book isn't about a disaster the magnitude of the Beverly Hills fire.

 

It's good to have folks like Eric Deters keep the past alive and allow us to relive the triumph of the '81 Simon Kenton Pioneers.

Cant wait to get my hands on the SK book, and Ill be counting the days until Mel Websters book!

I remember being in Kindergarten at the time, dad was the AD at SK at the time and I can remember being on pins and needles that day. Wish I could have been a few years older, remember being in the first row at Rupp when the won the title, my baby brother was labeled the youngest member of a then record crowd for HS hoops (5month old). I remember bits and pieces of the celebration at the Holidome (at the time Kool and the Gangs song was a big hit), remember a little of the parade into Independence. I practically grew up in the halls of SK and I remember when they built the case that holds the trophies, and used to watch as opposing teams would stand and stare at the beauty in front of their eyes. 29-5, I believe they lost to two teams twice that season, barely beat WV in the semi's of districts, and then won 4 games in Rupp by a total of 11 points, that in itself is unreal, then add in the explosion, 2nd shift classes, really hard to believe but I guess it helped to have players like 6'6" Troy Mckinley, 6'6" Billy Meier, 6'6" Dave Dixon to go with athletes like Sean Daugherty, Alan Mullins and Greg Ponzer, pretty impressive list of athletes in that bunch. I still find much pride in being the "only" 9th region winner of the big crown, very big achievement.

I've seriously heard rumors of a screenplay about this and even a movie. How awesome would that be?

I've seriously heard rumors of a screenplay about this and even a movie. How awesome would that be?

Somebody needs to call Disney!!!:thumb:

I've also heard a movie is in the works, very neat stuff, can't wait to get my copy from my mother, she appears on page 101.

  • Author
I've also heard a movie is in the works, very neat stuff, can't wait to get my copy from my mother, she appears on page 101.
Also something that you should be very proud of is that during the six minute slide show, presented to the audience at the book release, undoubtedly one of the biggest most rousing cheers went up when the picture of "Big Joe" appeared on the screen - it was very sincere and very spontaneous.

All I have to say is that its about time. I wasn't born when this took place, but I have heard all the stories time and time again and I was always told that the book or movie would be better than Hoosiers. After reading the book, I think that if made by the right person this would be better than Hoosiers. I actually just finished the last few chapters (took a few days off from reading after finishing the state tourny)... Neerfan, you have no idea how many times I read the stuff on your father from the glass case in the hallway leading to the gym, heck at one point I think I had it all memorized.

All I have to say is that its about time. I wasn't born when this took place, but I have heard all the stories time and time again and I was always told that the book or movie would be better than Hoosiers. After reading the book, I think that if made by the right person this would be better than Hoosiers. I actually just finished the last few chapters (took a few days off from reading after finishing the state tourny)... Neerfan, you have no idea how many times I read the stuff on your father from the glass case in the hallway leading to the gym, heck at one point I think I had it all memorized.

 

I agree it is a pretty good story, but let's not get carried away saying it would be a better movie than Hoosiers.

Same here nkysportslegend I only know one of the members of the 81 champion team but I would've gave anything to make it to that ceremony. I'm definately coming back in town to pick up the book, and it would be awesome to see it made into a movie.

I was a freshman at the time of the explosion and a former athlete at Simon Kenton. Sure does bring back all of the emotions of tragedy and triumph. Just the fact that the students had to attend school at night, at Scott High, and practice before school, Make it to Rump and WIN! Would be a great movie! Hope it happens! Congrats to Eric for bringing the story to print for others to read and know more about.

I have attended most Sweet 16's since 1978 and I think the '81 tournament was one of the best ever. Everything just fell together for SK in their march to the championship.

This is the first I've heard about the gas explosion, and the tragedy/hardships that followed. Very sad.

But the community rallied behind their basketball team and the rest is history.

I agree with the other posts that this type of story is that Hollywood loves.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.