Pioneer Spirit - SKs Rise From Tragedy to Glory In '81

He was simply saying that he remembers where he was when he heard about it. The explosion however was in the front right of the school if you are outside facing the building. Luckily it was lunch time which prevented the loss of many lives, and luckily the first explosion proved to be the lighter of the two.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost finished, I know one thing he butchered the Conner school name, and the chapter on Andy Burns is very touching to me, that guy went through a rough time after missing that FT, still has to hear about it to this day.

Didnt read the book yet and barely remember Burns from when they played my alma mater and I was like 9 yrs old... just remember this huge 6'9 guy....what happend on the FT?

WV had a 2 pt lead with 7 seconds left in the district semis. Burns got fouled and had one and the bonus. If he hits the FT it's over since there wasn't a 3 point arc, missed the shot and SK took it the length of the court to take the game to OT, SK ended up winning in double OT. He grew up on Main St in Walton, after college he moved and recently he moved back. While walking down the street 25 years later he said hello to an elderly man, he asked the man if he remembered him, and the old man brought up the missed FT, I really feel bad for the guy, even his old college coach (Mike Beitzel) brought it up recently saying if he would have hit that FT, Troy Mckinley would have been on the NKU Norse roster.

Almost finished, I know one thing he butchered the Conner school name, and the chapter on Andy Burns is very touching to me, that guy went through a rough time after missing that FT, still has to hear about it to this day.

Please don't tell me he spelled it "CONNOR."

Andy Burns is a great guy.

I really feel bad for the guy, even his old college coach (Mike Beitzel) brought it up recently saying if he would have hit that FT, Troy Mckinley would have been on the NKU Norse roster.

While its cruel , its also true re: Troy.

• 2 months later...

Got the book for christmas and recently finished it. Great great story. I really didn't think there would be so much to the story, but it was great. The thing that might keep this story from being a movie is might be the We Are Marshall movie. It is similar, but who knows.

One thing that came to mind while I was reading the book is how Tweeter from Varsity Blues, and Greg Ponzer seem to be the exact same person. Insert Greg Ponzer from this quote from Varsity Blues, "And Tweeter drank some beers, because, well, Tweeter drinks beers."