How relevant is High School Basketball? (OP)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen is just one of many examples of how you can be great in AAU (and he is also great in high school) but when it comes to the high school game, it's going to take a great TEAM most times to attain the prize rather than just one player doing whatever he wants on the court.

This is the point I was hoping would come out if this thread. With so many rural communities in KY, it’s next to impossible for BFE High with a D1 recruit to make a run deep into state because it takes a team. However with AAU you can truely be measured against your peers.

If you are only talking about getting to the next level, then you are correct--you can get there without high school basketball or its relevance is low. High school basketball, in general, is about a lot more than that, as others have stated.

As to your last point, in 2017, I don't care where you are located, if you have next level talent and don't get noticed, that's on your coach and/or your family.

Totally not disagreeing with what you and many others are stating. The odds of major D1 coaches recruiting in a high school gym are low. Although... I do love when coaches come to support kids that have committed or try to show they care just a bit more than anyone else when they're trying to land a kid!! In general AAU is a MUCH better indicator of how a kid will preform at the next level.

For recruiting purposes I agree high school isn't relevant, but for many other reasons HS basketball is vital. Aside from academics, social skills, community pride... Practice time is much lower in AAU compared to high school meaning building on fundamentals and perfecting skills do not get that same time commitment. High school also gives you the ability to watch more game film and practice/correct mistakes on a game to game basis. It is hard to do this when you're playing 6-8 games in a weekend, maybe have 2 practices throughout the week and then another 6-8 games the following weekend. Even for elite level kids, high school is the time to hone their craft and AAU gives them the platform to show it off.

I'm very interested to see how LaMelo Ball turns out with his dad now home schooling him. Obviously he is already a high level player and I doubt many would be able to be successful taking the same route but, interested nonetheless.

Preston Knowles is a good example of how playing high school ball is important. He couldn't afford to play on a AAU team. GRC won the region his senior year and he had a great 2 games at State. He was going to VCU but Louisville and UK came calling. He chose Louisville and is now playing over seas. Really proud of this young man.

These last couple posts bring up really good points. If I had to choose between there being no AAU or no high school basketball, there is no hesitation in that decision - get rid of AAU and keep high school basketball.

In fact, I would say that about every one of the sports. If you have to get rid of one or the other, get rid of the select leagues and keep the high school leagues - baseball, basktball, soccer, volleyball, all of them - I take high school over select in every one of them.

Preston Knowles is a good example of how playing high school ball is important. He couldn't afford to play on a AAU team. GRC won the region his senior year and he had a great 2 games at State. He was going to VCU but Louisville and UK came calling. He chose Louisville and is now playing over seas. Really proud of this young man.

Preston was a really great success story and I agree his HS play gave him a boost, especially at the end when U of L was a late offer. Regardless HS basketball is so special to the overall high school experience and memories of a lifetime for any young man.

Is it important for recruiting? Of course it plays a role, but as Shoe Circuit and overall grassroots travel basketball has grown with ever so important Spring & Summer liver periods, the role of HS basketball changed to a lesser degree than before.

Preston's recruiting days from HS were over 10 years ago, before NIKE EYBL, Adidas Gauntlet & the UA Association existed or were just developing. So his example is from a different time. Jake O from Scott is a better example as it played a huge role for him. In both of their cases it was local Universities that decided to offer after big Sweet 16s from each. I do hope that with what has been exposed in the Pay for Play scandal that there is a movement back to putting more relevance to HS basketball. Travel ball is still always going to be there, but the key is how the NCAA changes the "live periods" and shoe company's involvement, especially with the higher major colleges.

Jake Ohmer didn’t even have a D2 offer until the State HS championship.

• 2 weeks later...

In KY, if you your team makes it to sweet 16 your're going to get exposure. AAU is the G-league for D1 basketball. Some slaps on the wrist and some "examples" made, but it isnt going away.

They have th elite circuits structured whereas they know about D1 talent as young as sixth grade. From there, they are wooed, groomed for the next level

I went to the Boo Williams EYBL Nike tournment in Virgina this past spring. I saw all the major coaches you see on TV/ESPN under one roof, for one weekend. HS basketball can't duplicate that! I was three feet away from former UK assistant/ Florida State Head coach - Leonard Hamilton.

At this level, they have filtered down to the cream of the crop , either athletically or skillset.

Jake Ohmer didn’t even have a D2 offer until the State HS championship.

That's where AAU lures exposure in, then the player must excell during the high school season.. they should complement one another, not conflict. For Ky, a lot good talent will not make it to the sweet 16 - Allen is a prime example. D1 talent playing with non-college basketball talent. Not enough pieces to get Allen to the sweet 16, he cant do by himself - even at 36 ppg

That's where AAU lures exposure in, then the player must excell during the high school season.. they should complement one another, not conflict. For Ky, a lot good talent will not make it to the sweet 16 - Allen is a prime example. D1 talent playing with non-college basketball talent. Not enough pieces to get Allen to the sweet 16, he cant do by himself - even at 36 ppg

AAU is where the exposure is 99% of the time. More kids than just those that reach the sweet 16 get college offers and that is mostly thru AAU. Ohmer is a rare example of no D2 offers, but was showcased in the sweet 16 and picks up a D1 offer. If a kid is good and plays AAU that is where the money is.

I'll be watching a kid play Friday that got his scholly and his coach never saw him play a HS game nor did he see a film of his HS games.

Many good points made here. Ibelieve high school bball is relevant because of what it does for the kid as far as building relationships and keeping them in touch with school and the academics. As far as relevance to get to the next level,, if it's the only path you have then yes it is relevant. If you can play AAU ball, and not even talking about the elite leagues, that will get you to the next level long before school ball. Personal experience speaking, my son's college coach didn't even look at a film of his high school games. Didn't care.